It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Change the Background of This Logo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.0
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello,

I am a beginner and still learning, so take it easy on me.

I have this logo that I would like to put on the homepage of a site I am designing. The file I have has a white background, but the background of the page is grey, so when I place the logo, I end up with an ugly white box around the logo.

Is it possible to change the background color of the logo to grey so it matches my website background?

Is this a pretty advanced project? Any tips or tutorials or guides would be appreciated! I attached the image to this post.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Main.jpg
Main.jpg [ 34.61 KiB | Viewed 3114 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Last edited by b10h4z4rd on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to Change the Background of This Logo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:03 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Got Ninja'd , yes I would go that way as well. Copy the layer, add alpha channel, select the white, select invert , select shrink 1 pixel, select invert, Ctl-X or delete , Bin the bottom layer (with the white bg) and save as a png.
I shrunk the selection to get rid of the "whitish" outer pixels, which would probably give a halo effect on a darker back ground. Do experiment with the shrink , if you are using a light grey background you may not have to shrink it.
Attachment:
mainreiki.png
mainreiki.png [ 148.64 KiB | Viewed 3104 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:06 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

There's different ways to do this. After you open the image, you might want to Save As so you're working on a duplicate, still have your original, and you can go back to edit if needed. One way is to find the Select By Color tool. It looks like a finger hovering over colors. First, right click on your layer in the layer dialog box then click Add Alpha Channel. That adds transparency for what you're about to do. Now click on the white part in your image. You'll see only the white part is selected. Press Delete on your keyboard. Now you can do two things. You can go to File>Export and save as a PNG. That way you just have your logo with a transparent background. Or you can add a new layer at the bottom of the layer dialog box. You can use the Bucket tool to fill that layer with whatever you want. Click the down arrow, again in the layer dialog so this color layer is at the bottom underneath your logo. Now you can Export in whatever format you prefer.

It seems I've been beaten to the punch twice. Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:09 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

wbool63 wrote:
select invert , select shrink 1 pixel, select invert
What is the difference with "Select/grow" (1px)?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:24 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Select white area first Ofnuts. I think that's what is meant here.
Then-
select>invert - (selects colored logo)
select>shrink (1 pixel) (to capture white border if any)
select>invert again to delete the white area.
I would use feather to blend with the bg on your website.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

b10h4z4rd wrote:
You could change the white to transparent and save it as a .png file. (One that supports transparency).

Open the file in Gimp.
Select All.
Colors -> Color to Alpha
In the dialog that opens, the color is already set to 'white' by default, so just click 'Ok'.

Thankyou soooo much
This method works best for me and I did not know about this.
So quick and easy. Just a few clicks.
Thankyou thankyou !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:58 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
wbool63 wrote:
select invert , select shrink 1 pixel, select invert
What is the difference with "Select/grow" (1px)?

Hi ofnuts , there is probably very little difference in this case . This is a small and simple image. It is just the way I work , I try to keep the focus on the thing to be altered (the image). Absolutely nothing wrong if you want to do the grow method. But there is a difference I believe in the way that Gimp handles single pixel outlines. If you use the same image and use the shrink and grow methods and overlay them in difference mode you can see the difference. In this case almost unnoticeable, but if you use the different methods in a complex image such as a plasma render the difference is quite noticeable. I came across this effect some time ago when I had unexplained dots of colours in an image. I do not know what causes this discrepancy but I believe it is probably a rounding error somewhere in the pixel maths. Nor do I know which method is the correct outcome of the maths. I suppose both methods are correct depending on your needs.
The difference in the first image is the white outline, the difference in the plasma is the grey dots
Attachment:
difference 1 pixel.jpg
difference 1 pixel.jpg [ 34.15 KiB | Viewed 3039 times ]

Attachment:
plasmashrink growdifference.jpg
plasmashrink growdifference.jpg [ 32.26 KiB | Viewed 3039 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:06 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Very good example wbool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:15 am  (#10) 
Script Coder

Rod wrote:
Select white area first Ofnuts. I think that's what is meant here.
Then-
select>invert - (selects colored logo)
select>shrink (1 pixel) (to capture white border if any)
select>invert again to delete the white area.
I would use feather to blend with the bg on your website.

Once you have a selection you don't care if it was obtained from the white or else.

Try this:
- create image
- create selection with freehand
- save to channel
- grow N pixels
- save to Channel as Selection #1
- reload original selection
- Invert/Shrink N pixels/Invert
- save to Channel as Selection #2
- create white layer, load selection #1, bucket fill with white
- create white layer, load selection #2, bucket fill with white
- put the top layer in "difference" mode
- try to find a pixel which is not pure black (you can do "new from visible" and play with histogram/threshold)

=> the two selections are identical

.. unless I'm missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

i would like to recreate that logo, anybody has an idea how to make an archimedean spiral ?

EDIT: found something here:
http://gimp-handbuch.de/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=91

Last edited by Esper on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 am  (#12) 

Thank you so much for all the great responses! I will try those suggestions tonight!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
i would like to recreate that logo, anybody has an idea how to make an archimedean spiral ?

EDIT: found something here:
http://gimp-handbuch.de/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=91

It wasn't too awful long ago that Ofnuts wrote a real nice spiral filter "golden spiral".
http://registry.gimp.org/node/25982

Try that. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
It wasn't too awful long ago that Ofnuts wrote a real nice spiral filter "golden spiral".
http://registry.gimp.org/node/25982

Try that. :)
thanks Rod, im always a bit anti to installing a script, when you can also do it by hand and learn something, but i will try both ways later when i come back home and report back

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:12 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, I forgot to address cleanup. It's already been covered by others, though. Be aware if you use the Color to Alpha method, your logo will have transparency as well. The background color will affect the colors of your logo. There are ways to fix this though. I didn't do any cleanup. That's why it looks a little off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:43 pm  (#16) 
Script Coder

wbool63 wrote:
Hi ofnuts , there is probably very little difference in this case . This is a small and simple image. It is just the way I work , I try to keep the focus on the thing to be altered (the image). Absolutely nothing wrong if you want to do the grow method. But there is a difference I believe in the way that Gimp handles single pixel outlines. If you use the same image and use the shrink and grow methods and overlay them in difference mode you can see the difference. In this case almost unnoticeable, but if you use the different methods in a complex image such as a plasma render the difference is quite noticeable. I came across this effect some time ago when I had unexplained dots of colours in an image. I do not know what causes this discrepancy but I believe it is probably a rounding error somewhere in the pixel maths. Nor do I know which method is the correct outcome of the maths. I suppose both methods are correct depending on your needs.
The difference in the first image is the white outline, the difference in the plasma is the grey dots

Because you should not do it that way, you are destroying the anti-aliasing pixels. See here for an explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:35 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Oh dear, that was one of those easy looking tasks, that werent that easy at all :roll:

Attachment:
ReikiESP.png
ReikiESP.png [ 148.78 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]

I used the method, with the Polar Coordinates, but tweaked the end of the spiral a lot with elliptical selections. That took the most time, until it looked right.
Also i changed the colors a bit. As far as i know, Reiki energy comes from the heart-chakra and has the colors pink, green and golden, thats why i added the golden glow.

The original looks more earthy, my version is very clean.
Maybe it would have been good, to make the spiral as a path and then stroke the path, so that you get varying thickness of the line, but i dont know how do to that.
Also i was too lazy to look for the original font, which again, has a different character, than the one i used.
Dunno, my version has a really different feel, its a bit too "computerized".....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Bug Sampson wrote:
Be aware if you use the Color to Alpha method, your logo will have transparency as well. The background color will affect the colors of your logo. There are ways to fix this though.

Could you please tell me the ways to fix this problem please Bug Sampson... in case I need to deal with this in the future ?
Please and thankyou !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:21 am  (#19) 
Script Coder

Barbie wrote:
Bug Sampson wrote:
Be aware if you use the Color to Alpha method, your logo will have transparency as well. The background color will affect the colors of your logo. There are ways to fix this though.

Could you please tell me the ways to fix this problem please Bug Sampson... in case I need to deal with this in the future Please and thankyou !

My usual technique is:
- wand-select the background (and any "closed" areas, like letter loops, if needed).
- grow the selection by one pixel. This adds to the selection the 'anti-aliasing' pixels that make the border of the subject (there are the ones that are important to transform with color-to-alpha) while leaving out of it most of the subject (which we want to keep unchanged)
- apply color-to-alpha.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:56 am  (#20) 
Script Coder

To simplify this process, I created a script a while back:

http://www.silent9.com/incoming/scripts/transbg.scm

This works if the background is one even colour. There are some sliders to adjust the amount the edges get cleaned up to allow for source images with either sharp of soft edges.

-Rob A>

Last edited by RobA on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.