It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Delaboratory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:49 pm  (#121) 
GimpChat Member

jacek wrote:
ProPhoto is wider colorspace than sRGB. So it may happen that your photo is overexposed in sRGB but not in ProPhoto. However, I set contrast in ProPhoto to 90% to avoid overexposing when converting later to sRGB :) You may change it with slider in source image layer. The goal was to recover as many highlights as possible. The downside is that your photo is more "gray" by default, because it lacks full contrast. But it doesn't matter if you follow Dan Margulis way of postprocessing with curves.

Thanks I did notice that the contrast was down and was playing with it, but I have yet to read Margulis, which has quickly become top priority after playing around with Delab. This is exciting stuff! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm  (#122) 
GimpChat Member

here is Dan Margulis video to show how LAB works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhfRynutmQM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:13 pm  (#123) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks I will check that out. I've used the decompose to layers in Gimp to do LAB color "intensifying" for years, but never knew how to do anything more than that.. This is really cool beans..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 pm  (#124) 
GimpChat Member

I was also used decompose in Gimp to use LAB and that's one of the reasons delaboratory has been created. Most people don't even know LAB decompose is in Gimp and they don't know why they would need it. There is a huge misunderstanding of the subject in the environment of open source developers, and that's why I needed to start from scratch, because they think that CMYK is "something to print" and LAB curves are for "fanatics". It's easier to show alternative solution than fighting with ignorance.

Last edited by jacek on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm  (#125) 
GimpChat Member

eulu wrote:
Not sure if I should post here in this thread but did some searching and nothing came up....

I am trying Delab .8 with DNG files on Win7x64 (with 4 gigs ram) with the Partha Gimp 2.8.1x64 and with a very minimal edit when I try to export from Delab to Gimp, I get a message "exporting final image failed - error during update images (probably out of memory). I click ok then get an error "D:\TEMP\TEMP/IMGP2641.tiff: Cannot open (in module: "TIFFOpenW")

Thanks
Todd

Edit: Should have mentioned this is also after adding the environment variable (tried both C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.1\bin\gimp-2.8.exe and C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.1\bin\gimp.exe)

Todd,

Like I mentioned, you don't need the environment variable since you are using my build. :)

Partha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 pm  (#126) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Partha.. Like I mentioned, you guys rock! :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm  (#127) 
GimpChat Member

Hey i am having trouble getting the tiff to export to Gimp-2.8 again.
Do i need to rename the folder "Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4" to "Program Files\Gimp-2.8" for this to work?

I tried the GR_EDITOR PATH with C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8.4\bin\gimp-2.8.exe and that didn't work either.
I checked the C:\Users\rod\AppData\Local\Temp folder and the tiff image is there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 am  (#128) 
GimpChat Member

Hello again,

I started new development phase of delaboratory few months ago, you can download working prototype for Windows here:

http://code.google.com/p/delaboratory/w ... pe20131020

please notice this version is not really usable, you can open RAW of other image, you can play with sliders and export final jpg, but essential functionality like curves is not there

it's released for people interested in the delaboratory development who want to see what's going on, testing it on different Windows system would be helpful, because I need to build strong, stable core first, then reimplement missing functionality from old versions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7