It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 2.6 vs gimp 2.8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

which one do you guys like the most?

i like gimp 2.6, 2.8 its a bit frustrating 2.6 its much easier to use i even installed it again super easy to use not like 2.8 well its the same kinda but its more annoying

Admin: edited for inappropriate language - See Site Rules

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.6 vs gimp 2.8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:13 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Founder

I like pretty much all of the new features and new scripting enhancements. I'm not a fan of the save/export design decision.

So far, I've found 2.8 to be a bit less stable and more resource hungry than 2.6.

With the exception of a few bugs, I'm happy with the 2.8 release and haven't found the need to revert back to 2.6. I look forward to maintenance updates that will correct some of the issues end users do have.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:24 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

2.6 for me. I've not seen any features in 2.8 that I need, and the bugs that exist in 2.8.0 are show stoppers for my use-case, so I'm staying where I am.

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

The biggest difference (and it can be annoying) is 2.8 can no longer directly save in your format of choice unless it's a GIMP format. You have to export to jpg or png or bmp ...etc. I do have to add that 2.8 has been rock solid stable and only crashed (if you would call it that) once since I installed it a few months back. 2.6 would lock up sometimes 3 times in the same day. It might be because I'm now using a 64-bit version of GIMP; just don't really know. Had the lockup issue ever since I installed Win7 64-bit nearly 3 years ago now. :)

edit:

Also, there's still a few bugs that have been patched in developers test releases (every odd internal number like 2.8.1, 2.8.3, 2.8.5, etc. is now considered beta; that's the other change) but they've yet released 2.8.2 to fix the little bugs such as jpeg size preview and gimprc conflict betweet user filter and PSPI for instance. Still waiting on the 2.8.2 release (any developers out there listening?). :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:57 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I have 2.8 on my Laptop but I stay with 2.6 on my desktop which is my standby. I haven't had any crashing issues with 2.6 since I allocated more memory use. I just like the way 2.6 works and feels. Too old and too lazy to learn how to use 2.8 when I can knock something out quickly using something I am familiar with. IMO 2.6 is a reliable workhorse like XP and 2.8 is like trying to learn how to navigate in Vista or Win 7 after working with XP for several years. Obviously I'm speaking strictly from a Windows and personal preference standpoint.

Last edited by Draconian on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:40 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

lylejk wrote:
... Still waiting on the 2.8.2 release (any developers out there listening?). :)

If the discussion on the GIMP developers mailing list is anything to go by, it's not going to be any time soon- developers listing the obstacles to a release doesn't inspire confidence: http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-de ... 2-8-1-when

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:47 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

idc if theres gonna be any new gimp im sticking with 2.6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp-2.8 for me.I like the new single window mode.
I can live with the save/export options and it hasn't crashed on me yet.
There really do not seem to be any bugs that make my production difficult either.
And ALL my photoshop plug-ins run through the Gimp-2.8/Linux version so i am happy with that. :)

It seems to me that more bugs are found within the Windows compiled versions than the Linux and Mac releases.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:05 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
2.6 for me. I've not seen any features in 2.8 that I need, and the bugs that exist in 2.8.0 are show stoppers for my use-case, so I'm staying where I am.

Kevin

Same as that and I can't use Gimp Painter in 2.8 and my computer is too slow to run it smoothly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:16 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

i have both versions installed

mainly because i need to know what size a file ends up, when i save it as jpg
but im also a kind of conservative guy and i like to stick with what im used to (thats 2.6)

but i used 2.8 on my latest project

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
lylejk wrote:
... Still waiting on the 2.8.2 release (any developers out there listening?). :)

If the discussion on the GIMP developers mailing list is anything to go by, it's not going to be any time soon- developers listing the obstacles to a release doesn't inspire confidence: http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-de ... 2-8-1-when

Kevin

Thanks for the link Kevin. Looks like, after having 12 forks in GIMP 2.6, that they don't want that to be the case for 2.8. I say, let's at least package all the improvments already fixed (brush delay when color management is enabled, jpeg preview save size, and gimprc fix for starters) into another sub-release then let the release after that be the remaining catchall release. Oh well; patient I was with the 2.0 through 2.6 issues; patient I'll be with 2.8 too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I did not liked much such rudeness to impose learning of the different meaning between save and export,:
More then the differences i found relevant that both operation as usually needed so better do simultaneously ,( and taking care that the original xcf is always saved ), instead then debate on lexical subtleties.

But since there is a script doing exactly this (even included by default in partha portable build ,and in mine) i can't see anymore reason to complain...Save and export script from RobA is available from long and solve so why still worry about..it could be solved just by adding the script

for the rest i am a bit worried about a bug with graphic tablet, still i didn't test with mine so i am not sure how much may be a problem

for the rest i can't see relevant bugs only improvements and not few

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:12 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp 2.8.2 has just been released. It will mostly benefit Mac folks and of course the jpeg issue has been fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:33 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
for the rest i am a bit worried about a bug with graphic tablet, still i didn't test with mine so i am not sure how much may be a problem

What is the bug you mention?
I have not experienced any serious issues with 2.8 and my Wacom Intuos 4.
Just a couple of minor things.
1. I find I need to start Gimp running by using the Tablet to click the program icon. Failure to do this will mean although the tablet will let you move the cursor and select tools, it will not paint on the canvas unless, as I said I use the tablet to start the application running.
2. As a novice Gimper, I frequently move the cursor around and read the "tooltips" displayed to remind myself what the particular tool icon is. With the tablet it is nearly impossible to hold the cursor still enough, and for long enough, to trigger the tooltip to be displayed.
Both these issues have been previously reported and are not show stoppers IMO.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:55 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I have 2.8 on all of my machines, I use most of the new features except cage transform, I mainly like the single window mode. Perpetually having to resize windows was a real pain. I do wish someone would update gimpthemes so it worked with 2.8

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
Gimp 2.8.2 has just been released. It will mostly benefit Mac folks and of course the jpeg issue has been fixed.

Thanks for the heads up Partha; installing it as I type this. May or may not re-install 2.6 depending on how well 2.8 got patched. lol

:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:23 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP appears to be running find and now both PSPI and user filter are happy with each other. Get only one error when I first launch GIMP; not sure what dpb.exe is though. :)

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 29.44 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:36 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
GIMP appears to be running find and now both PSPI and user filter are happy with each other. Get only one error when I first launch GIMP; not sure what dpb.exe is though. :)

DBP is David's Batch Processor. You probably have to rebuild it with the new DLL.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:29 pm  (#19) 
Script Coder

I've been waiting for 2.8.2 so I'll switch to that after I finish my current commission.

I love the new brush dynamics - especially the angular dynamic that eliminates the need to make a rotating gih.
I also really like the smooth stroke option. It is much like Inkscape's brush weighting and takes the jitters out of tablet drawing.
With the brush dynamics I almost don't need the ink tool anymore...

Love the cage transform tool.

Don't like the new selection graphics - they seem a bit clunky for me.

Getting to like the single window mode, but I still want to be able to drag layers/channels from one image to another so hopefully that will get fixed in the future...?

I'm perfectly happy with the export/save differentiation as it 100% complements my workflow.

I had some issues with GTK and my wacom under windows which is why I'm still using 2.6.11, and I also needed colour management which had to be disabled under 2.8.0 or it was way too sluggish. Anyone know if that is fixed under Windows in 2.8.2?

Layer groups are OK, but I won't really be able to use them until layer group masks works.

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Partha; PC (other thread here) lead me to what it was. Never batch (not sure how I even got it; lol). I just moved it to a tmp directory since I never delete unless absolutely necessary. All's completely well now. :)