It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.6 vs gimp 2.8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:49 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Only scrolling within the window was sluggish. Did you find all of 2.8.1 sluggish?

In any case, since gtk requirements have not changed (at least was not mentioned by Mitch), I doubt that those issues have been fixed.

Anyway, I will create a build soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I really don't think 2.8.1 and 2.8.2 will be very much of a difference. :)
I am using 2. 8.0 still because that is what Fedora installs through the repository.I have not had any issues at all with the Linux build.
I have to admit though i do miss the Gimp-2.8.1 portable.I do have the Gimp-2.7.3 version of RGGJan running through wine maybe i will do that for Parthas Gimp-2.8.1 Portable :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 am  (#23) 
Script Coder

paynekj wrote:
If the discussion on the GIMP developers mailing list is anything to go by, it's not going to be any time soon

And of course the moment I make a statement like this, I happily get proved wrong :)

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:47 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
I really don't think 2.8.1 and 2.8.2 will be very much of a difference. :)
I am using 2. 8.0 still because that is what Fedora installs through the repository.I have not had any issues at all with the Linux build.
I have to admit though i do miss the Gimp-2.8.1 portable.I do have the Gimp-2.7.3 version of RGGJan running through wine maybe i will do that for Parthas Gimp-2.8.1 Portable :)

Thanks Rod. :)

Maybe you can wait for 2.8.2 though I don't think there is much there for Windows folks. I will release a version anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Lyle maybe also the last official windows installer has the same habit to try to import plugin addon and preferences from whatever older gimp found in the computer, without asking permission

I am not going to check this because if i like much gimp i don't like much the official gimp windows version and this was one of the reasons

but i believe your new gimp may have collected some plugin and addon from older gimp and that will explain for dbp

BTW that dll giving you the error is a pain...some plugin will ready only if in the bin files ( i.e. file-pdf-loader ) others will fail to find in bin and pretend to have a copy in the same subfolder of the plugin executive (as resynth old version ) and to complete the mess other will spot that dll whatever it is and if they found 2 or more instead then only 1 they will trow error about "missing dll" or "missing entry point"

In my 32bit customized version i had to make acrobatics to avoid errors with that dll

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:49 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

I failed to mention the main reason I am staying with 2.6. There are many script writers out there that need to update their scripts to work in 2.8. Most recent example is the Voronoi plug-in I used in my Indicator light tutorial. 2.8 users cannot perform the tutorial without the resulting pattern being provided for them. I think Tile Shuffle is another one and I know there are numerous other scripts I can't think of right now. This pretty much hamstrings users like me who use these particular scripts quite often.

Is the construction of 2.8 such that it makes so many things obsolete? Is it a completely different engine? Was Gimp bought out by Chrysler or something? As a user, I find it extremely annoying that I have to fix, or compile, or wait for someone who knows how to create a version I can actually use like Lyle just had to do. The darn thing should work out of the box and I don't care to use the "throw-together" version. I'll wait until everything gets fixed, updated, compiled or whatever so it's useable for me. Like Erisian, I have a slow machine with only 3MB of RAM so with XP and my Win 7 32 bit laptop, I am limited as to what I can handle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

I'm also more on the gimp 2.6 side. I believed in 2.8 but eventually it destroyed more than it gave, for my usage.

That 2.8 single window mode could have been cool for me, but the way they choose to set up the clone view... why tabs ? I use intensely the clone view to simultaneously display a 1:1 and a 8:1 zoom, it's just not feel right to have them tabbed, it kills the principle of cloning. But I also understand that not everyday gimp users needed the clone view, so I kind of forgive them.

There's also those terrible slowdowns when moving the canvas or using brushes, and those little details like getting new habits, sorting the working and non working plug-ins.

So, globally, the cons overpower the pros for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

For those curious, all my plugins, script-fus and such stayed intact when I upgraded to 2.8.2. 2.6.12, of course, is gone once again. Haven't re-installed it yet since I've only used 2.6.12 less then the count of my 2 hands since I installed 2.8.0 and not at all for well over a month. Kept, of course, my 2.6 user folder and no plans ever to hose it, but, I'm still pretty happy with 2.8x, especially now that I have a true stable 64-bit version of GIMP. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:44 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I failed to mention the main reason I am staying with 2.6. There are many script writers out there that need to update their scripts to work in 2.8. Most recent example is the Voronoi plug-in I used in my Indicator light tutorial. 2.8 users cannot perform the tutorial without the resulting pattern being provided for them. I think Tile Shuffle is another one and I know there are numerous other scripts I can't think of right now. This pretty much hamstrings users like me who use these particular scripts quite often.

Is the construction of 2.8 such that it makes so many things obsolete? Is it a completely different engine? Was Gimp bought out by Chrysler or something? As a user, I find it extremely annoying that I have to fix, or compile, or wait for someone who knows how to create a version I can actually use like Lyle just had to do. The darn thing should work out of the box and I don't care to use the "throw-together" version. I'll wait until everything gets fixed, updated, compiled or whatever so it's useable for me. Like Erisian, I have a slow machine with only 3MB of RAM so with XP and my Win 7 32 bit laptop, I am limited as to what I can handle.

This is normally caused by changed Procedure Database Calls or the PDB.
The changes reflect in the scripts as depracated because a script may contain something like this
(gimp-layer-insert-new-layer layer)
<-- just an example
But the new PDB could be changed to something like this
(gimp-insert-layer layer)
<-- just an example
This will throw a error and sometimes it will stall the script.

You can see the new PDB calls via the Help>Procedure browser
Open that dialog and do a search for the line error.Old depracated calls are normally still contained within the dialog but will tell you to use another PDB call because that one is depracated.

The error dialog will usually give you the depracated call that caused the error.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 95% of the people here at GC (and a lot more that aren't) don't have a clue what you just said, myself included. :mrgreen:

I can see there is a difference in the text and somehow or other it makes the script not work right. OK, I got that part figured out, I think, so help me understand why I have to do this in the first place? I'm really not trying to be obtuse, just don't understand this stuff and just want to use gimp without having to learn all the gobbledygook technospeak. Maybe it's just me or maybe it has to do with my PC setup, I dunno, but there's gotta be an easier way to fix stuff without having to be a computer wizard. Any suggestions? (besides the aeronautical intercourse with a motivated pastry of course)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

Being a 10 plus year GIMP user veteran, I'm ashamed I am clueless too Drac. lol.

I never claimed to be a coder; call me an ideas guy. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Hey at least I'm in good company. :cofscreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:49 am  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 95% of the people here at GC (and a lot more that aren't) don't have a clue what you just said, myself included. :mrgreen:

I can see there is a difference in the text and somehow or other it makes the script not work right. OK, I got that part figured out, I think, so help me understand why I have to do this in the first place? I'm really not trying to be obtuse, just don't understand this stuff and just want to use gimp without having to learn all the gobbledygook technospeak. Maybe it's just me or maybe it has to do with my PC setup, I dunno, but there's gotta be an easier way to fix stuff without having to be a computer wizard. Any suggestions? (besides the aeronautical intercourse with a motivated pastry of course)

Well its a way you can check for the new calls and re-write the script in question (removing the old line and inserting the new call)
Or you can wait for the original writer to fix it. :)

However this doesn't magically fix all deprecations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian

most of the script and plugin i had in 2.6 (some was even older from 2.4) still work perfectly in 2.8

Some script if not update trow harmless warning but very few don't work and most of them have already updated version

So if the problem is only for that , you can just make the full list of what doesn't work for you and post on the forum, and we may help to find the updated version

Well for Mac plugin could be more difficult but for script and win and linux plugins should be no problem

I have GreyCstoriation and UnsharpMask2 , the same from the times of gimp 2.4 and they both still work perfectly in the latest gimp 2.8

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:46 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

I'll take a harder look at the scripts and see. I saw the errors and stopped there.

Makin' a list Boss.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:06 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Draconian wrote:
I'll take a harder look at the scripts and see. I saw the errors and stopped there.

Makin' a list Boss.

You do realize that going forward there won't be any updates for 2.6?

Also, at some point Gimp (either 2.10 or 3.0) will finally be a full fledged editor supporting deep color editing. At that point, I am afraid, you will need high end hardware. GEGL is the future for Gimp and that has already been decided.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

I don't know anything about photo editing and I only use Gimp for amateur creative purposes so if nothing more gets made for 2.6, so be it. I'm still a happy camper for my uses. Thanks for the heads up. That is a valid argument and a good point to make here for others who may need those functions and are still riding the fence. For now I'll just stay snug in my little 2.6 cocoon. :mrgreen: (insert head in sand)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:28 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Founder

Draconian wrote:
Is the construction of 2.8 such that it makes so many things obsolete?

In addition to what Rod mentioned, the scripting language used by GIMP is improved with new releases. This is due to a variety of factors, such as plugging security holes, fixing bugs and correcting what is considered to be bad implementations of the programming language itself. Also, when new features are added to GIMP and changes are made to the way things are currently done, the scripting languages have to be updated to reflect those changes.

Whenever possible and when it makes sense, the old way of doing things are kept around to maintain backward compatibility but sometimes, it's just not possible. In those cases, the scripts will have to updated. If there are specific scripts that you use regularly which require updating, I'm sure you can make a request here (or at other places) and someone will update the scripts. Sometimes, it requires only a minor change to fix and other times, not so minor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 am  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

(pulling head out of sand now)

Thanks for the explanation Tux. Between you and Rod I don't feel like such a mushroom anymore with regard to how it works. It's just so much easier to stay with what you know and avoid yet another learning curve. Same reason I never learned how to use Inkscape or Blender or Apophysis. Only fooled around with them long enough to determine it was way too much to figure out for a lazy person. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:04 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

Running 2.8.4 and am a bit frustrated. I do love how it handles python scripts and photoshop plugins, but the sketchy mouse useage is making it exceedingly frustrating.

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next