It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Layer Effects script isn't working
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Vista - 64
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level
URL or Image link: http://postimage.org/image/60qj3r6r7/

List any ERROR messages you received:
Plug-In 'Stroke' left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups.

and

Error while executing script-fu-layerfx-stroke:

Error: ( : 1) eval: unbound variable: cadr

Hello,

I installed Gimp 2.8 last night. My scripts were originally not showing at all, but then I changed the settings in Preferences to pull from the Gimp 2.6 folder.

Here's a link to an image to show what I mean:

http://postimage.org/image/wyys5396p/.

After I changed the settings, I could see all the scripts I had installed.

This morning I was working on a project and I went to stroke some text.

The script didn't work and generated this error:

Plug-In 'Stroke' left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups.

Do you have any idea why this might be?

I have been using Gimp for over six years, so I have a pretty good knowledge of it and would be able to implement anything you'd care to suggest.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. This is pretty important to me, because the Layer Effect scripts are something I use constantly.

Maria

P.S. After stalking the forum for years, I finally set up an account.

posting.php?mode=post&f=8#

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Layer Effects script isn't working
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Could be to do with the upgrade to 2.8. I think some scripts need to be rewritten for it. There is a python version that might be worth a try but you'll need Python installed on your computer first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Erisian,

I think I already have Python installed; but I'm not sure. Would you mind looking at a screenshot for me?

I read on this tutorial (http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/inst ... -6-windows) that you can determine if your GIMP installation contains Python support by looking into the “Filters” menu. If there’s a entry named “Python-Fu” next to “Script-Fu”, Python support is available.

Is this correct?

Here's a link to the image:

http://postimage.org/image/q21ukbj9d/

Thanks again for helping me!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:54 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

The message "Plug-In 'Stroke' left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups." is not the error message it's just reporting the consequence of the error.

Your actual error is the "Error: ( : 1) eval: unbound variable: cadr" which implies that your installation of GIMP has gone wrong as that shouldn't be possible. Do you have a file called script-fu.init in the C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts folder?

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:12 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Gimp-2.8 comes standard with Python so you do not need to install pygimp any longer.
Hence it's huge download size.
You may want to try the layerfx.py for gimp-2.8 after you re-install Gimp-2.8
Changing settings should not have caused this variable error.Gimp will pull from any resource folder you point it's preferences to.Unless you have it pointed to script folder when it should be plug-ins or visa versa.

You should un-install Gimp-2.8 and it's UserFolder/.gimp-2.8 resource folder and re-install it.
When you install Gimp-2.8 it un installs Gimp-2.6 and keeps its resource folder to make a copy for Gimp-2.8
So once you install Gimp-2.8 you have no need for the Gimp-2.6 resource folder unless you want to re-install Gimp-2.6 after.Which is possible.

Here is how i do it.
Un -install Gimp-2.6
Install gimp-2.8
re-install Gimp-2.6

Start Gimp-2.8
Open Edit>Preferences>Folders, and make sure all your folders are pointed only to the gimp-2.8 folders and not the gimp-2.6 ones.Or you could get conflicts.That is to say don't have Gimp-2.8 pull from both UserFolder/.gimp-2.6 resource folder and UserFolder/.gimp-2.8 folder as you are calling the same resources.

Or you can install Gimp-2.8 portable from Partha.com and there is no need to uninstall anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

I just tested stroke using the LayerFX script in GIMP 2.8.2 and it works.

The error message suggests that GIMP thinks cadr is a variable, when it's actually a keyword. This is usually caused by a syntax error, like a missing ")" in the script or something like that, which could have been introduced with a bad copy & paste.

What version of the script are you using?

I'm using the script-fu version of the script located here...

http://gimpscripts.com/2011/10/gimp-layer-effects/

Download and replace your script with that one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, so what I did was uninstall Gimp and then I re-installed in. Then I downloaded the Python version of the Layer Effects and installed it. And it works. Thank you so much to each and everyone who helped me out here with their suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

You're welcome. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

That's good news. You're better off with the python version of that script. It has some enhancements not included in the script-fu version.