It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Glass text tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:45 am  (#61) 
Global Moderator

I like it, very nice colors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 pm  (#62) 
Script Coder

Done using shine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 pm  (#63) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
akky wrote:
Erisian wrote:
In Windows, plugins are usually EXE but it's also where .Py plugins go. Have you tried putting it in there yet?

Its in the correct place but its not showing up...we will have to get partha or someone to have a look at it...putting it in where...this is where it was when we downloaded it...there is no other place to put it...we do not have EXE on our mac system. it is exactly where it is meant to be but obviously isnt working for us. It could be that its hiding under some other name

2-Ton said " I just put the py file into the python folder". To the best of my knowledge, the Gimp folder structure is more or less the same on any OS, and in Linux and Windows PY plugins do not go in the Python folder but in the plugins folder. The point I was making above is that it doesn't matter what file type plugins usually are, .py files might still go in the plugins folder. It wouldn't hurt to try moving one and loading up Gimp to find out.

oops, I mistyped...I put my .py files into the plug-ins folder. I don't even know if I have a python folder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 pm  (#64) 
GimpChat Member

graechan: that's some lovely looking glass!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:39 am  (#65) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
akky wrote:
Erisian wrote:
In Windows, plugins are usually EXE but it's also where .Py plugins go. Have you tried putting it in there yet?

Its in the correct place but its not showing up...we will have to get partha or someone to have a look at it...putting it in where...this is where it was when we downloaded it...there is no other place to put it...we do not have EXE on our mac system. it is exactly where it is meant to be but obviously isnt working for us. It could be that its hiding under some other name

2-Ton said " I just put the py file into the python folder". To the best of my knowledge, the Gimp folder structure is more or less the same on any OS, and in Linux and Windows PY plugins do not go in the Python folder but in the plugins folder. The point I was making above is that it doesn't matter what file type plugins usually are, .py files might still go in the plugins folder. It wouldn't hurt to try moving one and loading up Gimp to find out.

I think she mean as the screenshots showed...the plug ins folder...sorry about any confusion I only looked at the screenshots not the post really

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 am  (#66) 
GimpChat Member

fact remains....quite often the .py scripts dont work for us for some reason...or at least...they dont show up in GIMP when its loaded

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:44 am  (#67) 
GimpChat Member

Lovely work Graechan - I like that.

Toni and Pauline - My apologies for the misunderstanding. You need help from a Mac wizard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 pm  (#68) 
GimpChat Member

Gratchan - That glass looks great! It appears to be 'thick' and shaped rather than a flat sheet or pane like the Howard K. script and others produce. That said, should yours not have a bit more distortion, perhaps using displacement, similar to what we all did with the water drop thing? IMHO that particular background would be perfect to accentuate any distortions. Seems like there would be a slight bit of refraction as well since it has such depth to it. Should the shadow also not be a 'double edge' effect rather than a drop shadow like a solid object would produce? I know I'm just nit-picking so don't fry me too bad. Still looks terrific!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 am  (#69) 
GimpChat Member

Finally thanks to partha I can get this done in a fashion...first attempt I dont think is too bad.

Attachments:
myglasstextattempt.png
myglasstextattempt.png [ 217.71 KiB | Viewed 2219 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 am  (#70) 
GimpChat Member

That's really good Pauline. It's not easy getting the clouds right but they are the key to the gloss. I think you've done a good job.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:24 am  (#71) 
GimpChat Member

akky: good job :) ! any idea why it didn't work in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm  (#72) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal, as a mac user we were not able to get the bevel python script to even show up previously. Partha tried to get it happening and it just didnt happen....so he included it in his build for us. Thanks partha. Its worthwhile to note that we did have other bevel options available with differing effects but not this particular one....as for the clouds....I was tired as when doing this and just couldnt be effed going back and doing it again..I was just so pleased I could use the thing now and complete this particular tutorial...and its not an uncommon thing I have found for mac users to be unable to find a given python script...some work and others dont and then sometimes they turn up anyway in an updated version of GIMP...its hit and miss for me anyway. and I give it all I have to try and get it working.......thanks for the comments folks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 pm  (#73) 
GimpChat Member

akky: whew, that sounds annoying! good thing there was someone to help out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm  (#74) 
GimpChat Member

Phew, finally got 'er done, with mcgimp, exactly to the tutorial. I don't know why I am always messing up little things, like being on the wrong layer. But the screens shots are invaluable for finding such errors! And the save for web is awesome, I can save in small files size for quick uploading..and if its' just a tut I don't even bother to save an xcf file, easy peasy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:10 pm  (#75) 
GimpChat Member

there ya go 2 ton!! great job by the way...much smoother than mine..LOL...I was too tired to be bothered but didnt want to let the chance go by to try it too quickly!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 pm  (#76) 
GimpChat Member

Nice result 2-Ton. Good to know you can use the script now. I save as xcf whatever because my Gimp freezes frequently these days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:22 pm  (#77) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
I save as xcf whatever because my Gimp freezes frequently these days.

Surely that can be fixed with an updated build???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:26 pm  (#78) 
GimpChat Member

2.8 runs slow on my machine. I think the problem is I work at a higher resolution than I used to and my computer is a little old for it. When it finally conks out, I'll get another one but I haven't got the heart to get rid of it while it still works.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:32 pm  (#79) 
GimpChat Member

Save your money and get something really nice when you have to

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:35 pm  (#80) 
GimpChat Member

I will. I want something I can run Fedora on anyway and we're getting some up to date computers in the second hand shops these days so there's no need to spend a fortune either. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next