It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scaling Images
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I have just uploaded Gimp 2.8 and notice that I can only scale images by dragging the handles on the image. I do not seem to be able to type in exact dimensions in the dialogue box which I was able to do on Gimp 2.6. Is this a change from the previous version of Gimp or am I doing something wrong?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Scaling Images
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:06 pm  (#2) 
Retired Staff

Try clicking Image in the Menu, Scale Image. You will get a dialog box that you can enter the dimension you want. If the chain is joined the other dimension will automatically change to use the right ratio of sizing.

If the chain is broken you can use any size in the width and height.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:07 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Go to Layers>Scale Layer or Image>Scale Image and enter your values. Can you enter values using the Scale Tool?

:ninja You ninja'd me O!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

cathy: if you want to use the dialog box in the scale tool here's what works for me: type in the numbers, click enter in the box and then click ok. same thing with the rotation tool, i've noticed it doesn't work unless i click enter after typing the letters in the box and clicking ok.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 pm  (#5) 

Yes, sorry, I didn't explain properly. I can type in the dimensions in the dialogue box but when I click on scale nothing happens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Sounds like AnMal has your answer unless you're doing that already. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 pm  (#7) 

Thanks Anmal. I've just tried what you suggested and it works. It used to work just by clicking on scale in the previous version so I didn't think of pressing enter!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

Greetings,

Glad you found a solution!!

I did notice that the GIMP Version in your first post says: 2.6.11 in Windows XP. Is that correct? The reason asked is that you also said 2.8 in the thread so that didn't make sense. Are you using Windows XP?

As a side note, I'm using 2.8.x in Linux and pressing the enter or tab button after entering values in the dialog is not required. I can simply enter a new value and click "scale".

I wonder if all the Windows versions of 2.8.x are like this or is it just certain releases?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:02 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

gnu tux: i use both the 2.8 version i downloaded from sourceforge as soon as it came out and the portable apps version and at least these two versions have the same problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

My 2.8 version is the same as Tux. It always has been which ever version I was using. I just click. scale after I set my values.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:27 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Same here - Fedora 17 _32 bit-
The scale tool in Gimp-2.8.2 works excellent for me. :)

I think this probably is a windows build problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I'm having the opposite problem of the original poster. When I click on the scale tool, then click on the layer I wish to re-size, it opens up the scale dialog box. How do I get the "drag corner" option?

Thank you

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

It works for me in 2.8.2 win7 without hitting enter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

chris lz wrote:
I'm having the opposite problem of the original poster. When I click on the scale tool, then click on the layer I wish to re-size, it opens up the scale dialog box. How do I get the "drag corner" option?
the moment you activate your scale tool and click the layer you want to scale, a grid appears over your picture and square handles appear, which you can drag
Attachment:
scale.png
scale.png [ 151.82 KiB | Viewed 1402 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
the moment you activate your scale tool and click the layer you want to scale, a grid appears over your picture and square handles appear, which you can drag
Attachment:
scale.png

Esper, thank you for the illustration.

When I do that, the scale dialog box appears without any grid. So far, I have been able to get the grid to appear only by first selecting an area. So I select an area around the current layer. While this suffices, I can't figure out why the grid doesn't appear automatically. Is this perhaps because I am using version 2.8 ???

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

chris lz wrote:
When I do that, the scale dialog box appears without any grid. So far, I have been able to get the grid to appear only by first selecting an area. So I select an area around the current layer. While this suffices, I can't figure out why the grid doesn't appear automatically. Is this perhaps because I am using version 2.8 ???

Chris
It might have something to do with which layer or other selection is still active. When you use the scale tool first select the layer you want to change. Either select, none or select the area you wish to change, then activate the scale tool.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:34 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
Gimp no grids handles.JPG
Gimp no grids handles.JPG [ 6.87 KiB | Viewed 1353 times ]

Dear Board,

Once again, out of the blue, the grid lines/handles for rotating / scaling stopped appearing. I now get a + sign with a circle around it, as seen above (I hope). Very odd.

Any more ideas?

I'm wondering if this could have something to do with snap to grid/snap to guide option. My tool box "tool options" are set to "transform layer" as seen above, and set to "layer, normal, cubic, adjust," with Guides set to "number of lines" and "number of lines" set to 15.

Can't figure this out for life of me. (edited by me about 7:41pm EST)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

(FAI, I traced the above problem I was having to the system working too slowly. Adjusting the resource consumption under the environment tab and de-cheking the "show active layer" box (as per "E-How"s suggestion) caused all to be well again.) :) But as is usually the case with GIMP, when one problem is solved, another one immediately pops up. :(