It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: default forground colour
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:58 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: win 7 64Bit
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

When ever I start Gimp my foreground colour is red. I have tried saving in black I have looked in rc files , I faintly remember something about GTK (not sure though), but for the life of me I cant find where I could have changed it or how I can change it back to black ? It has been a problem for a few months . Not abig problem because I can easily change it in the session, but I would like it to be back to black when I start a new session.
Attachment:
ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 23 17.41.jpg
ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 23 17.41.jpg [ 12.88 KiB | Viewed 3596 times ]

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: default forground colour
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:04 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You need to go Edit>Preferences and select Tool Options, In the window you should see a little box thats ticked that says "save tool options on exit" you need to untick this box, you then need to click the bar "Rest tool options to default values". But be warned all your brush settings and the like will also revert back to default.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:16 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

FWIW, the foreground color is specified in the "contextrc" file.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:26 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank You Hearty, I had already tried that , but I did not work for me.
I expect that this is because I do not possess a contextrc file where this default colour would be specified. Can someone send me a copy of that file per pm. I can then install it and most likely my problem will be solved.
I have a gut feel that this file went missing when I had to keep changing 2.6. versions when there were problems some time back. I probably forgot to copy it from one install to another.
The file will probably be in c:/program files/gimp-2.0/etc/gimp/2.0 with the other rc files.

Thank You Saulgoode

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:43 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I would not go as far as a reset but along those lines,
Set up Gimp the way you want it to start, BG/FG colours, the tool, say the brush and the brush you want to use.
Then in Preferences, Tool Options, untick the save on exit and click on on 'Save Tool Options Now'
Check that it works with a Gimp restart.
If you want Gimp to start at a certain size you can do similar with 'Windows Management'
Always worked for me gimp 2.6 or gimp 2.8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thank You Rich2005, I have already tried that. It does not work. Probably because I do not have a contextrc file on my system as Saulgoode suggests to have the default fg and bg settings. See my previous response. Would you look on your machine at c:/program files/gimp-2.0/etc/gimp/2.0 if you have a windows machine and see if you have such a file with the other rc files.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:15 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

You say you are using Win7 and Gimp 2.6.11
Closest I can get is a VM with winxp and gimp 2.6.11

This is a listing of the folders. The paths for Win 7 will be a little different, but does not affect the files. This is an 'as-just-installed' listing with no changes to gimp.

Directory of C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\etc\gimp\2.0

controllerrc
gimprc
gtkrc
menurc
ps-menurc
sessionrc
templaterc
unitrc

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\rich\.gimp-2.6

colorrc
controllerrc
dockrc
gimprc
gtkrc
menurc
parasiterc
pluginrc
profilerc
sessionrc
themerc
toolrc
unitrc

I would say in you local folder something like
C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.6\ first try disabling the profilerc file - rename it to say profilerc_bak (and a restart gimp)
If that does not work rename the whole .gimp-2.6 again to something like .gimp-2.6_bak. On restart Gimp will recreate a new empty .gimp-2.6 with standard settings.
If that works then you can sort out your scripts/plugins..+ all the other resources.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:27 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

wbool63 wrote:
Thank You Rich2005, I have already tried that. It does not work. Probably because I do not have a contextrc file on my system as Saulgoode suggests to have the default fg and bg settings.

The "contextrc" file is not created until you save your tool settings -- either by running "Edit->Preferences->Tool Options->Save Tool Options Now" manually, or by checking the "Edit->Preferences->Tool Options->Save tool options on exit" checkbox and then exiting GIMP.

I assumed that you would have a "contextrc" file otherwise your foreground color should default to black.

EDIT: I missed the post by rich2005 that described saving the tool options. :ninja
Nonetheless, it is noteworthy that such an action is what initially creates the "contextrc" file.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:00 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Saulgoode is of course correct a 'contextrc' file is created in the local .gimp-2.6 directory.
Just done one in my VM and a 'vanilla looks like this.

# GIMP user context

(tool "gimp-paintbrush-tool")
(paint-info "gimp-paintbrush")
(brush "Circle (11)")
(pattern "Pine")
(gradient "FG to BG (RGB)")
(palette "Default")
(font "Sans")

# end of user context

Tried my rename sessionrc, that does not work, so forget that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Right, Thanks guys . I found my contextrc file in my user/.gimp-2.6 directory. For some reason it did not show when I did a search for the file.
I used Photocomix' contextrc file from 2.8 as a substitute.
I compared all my files as per Rich2005 . I have all files as you do . Thank you for that Rich.
I then uncommented my default palette in the master Gimprc file in Programs file and renamed the personal gimprc file
I also renamed the sessionrc file.
I still get a red fg between sessions. My next step will be to reinstall 2.6.11, although I am very reluctant to do so as it will mean reinstalling lots of of other stuff again and it is difficult to get a clean download of 2.6.11 as it comes with a mandatory downloader which I dont want. I cannot find 2.6.11 for win 7 x64 by itself in sourceforge.org or gimp.org
Thank You for your support. As I said before this is not a show stopper. It is an inconvenience!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:54 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Before I head out and take some photographs, probably too late but no harm in disabling your .gimp-2.6 folder by renaming. It has worked before.

I know what you mean by finding the old editions, there is a combined 32/64 bit gimp 2.6.12 installer in sourceforge, tucked away in development releases.
long url so I tinyurled it http://tinyurl.com/9jaae6l
best of luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for that Rich , I have downloaded 2.6.12 but I am reluctant to install as I think there were problems with the Wacom tablet. I think that is why I stayed with 2.6.11 . I shall try your suggestion of renaming. I'll update tomorrow . It is getting late in this neck of the woods.

EDIT update I did a rename and that solved the problem of the b/w fg /bg however it also lost all my added filters , etc . So I have renamed again and am back with a red FG and all my goodies . At least I now know the problem is in the user /gimp files somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:09 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Saul isn't it possible to just edit the contextrc file like this?

(fg-color "black")
(bg-color "white")

Or perhaps,

(foreground-color "black")
(background-color "white")

Or something like that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Hi I think I may have solved the problem .

Firstly, Rod, your suggestion of fg color black , etc does not work in the contextrc file. Perhaps it will work in the global gimprc file . I do not know. I did not try. Thank you for the suggestion

I uncommented all statements to do with this problem, such as defaults, etc in the global gimprc file. This did not make any difference as the user rc files were still active. (expected behaviour)

Then I renamed all user rc files that had been altered (either by me or by gimp looking at the modify dates in the detail view). The following user rc files are regenerated between sessions,.Contextrc, Gimprc, Profilerc, and Colorrc.

After these files were regenerated I had a black and white FG and Background.!
The FG and BG statements were absent in the new user contextrc file. Further investigation shows that these statements are generated only if they are not black and white In which case they contain the rgb components. The default palette refers to the default color palette as per the palette files. It does not refer to the black and white.

I am still unsure why previous attempts to solve this problem did not work. Perhaps it needed uncommented global gimprc file and renamed user rc files to regenerate the new user files. Although they look very similar. I do not pretend to understand it. Perhaps there are hidden attributes in the files to tie them together ??

In any case thank you for your help. Both methods of tools carry-over between sessions work. (save tools now and save tools on exit)

I would be pleased if someone can shed more light on this . I learned quite a bit , but realise that there is a lot more under the covers here.

Cheers Wbool63