1) To be fair, I was conflating hacking attempts with the site being down because I don't actually know why the site goes down so much.
2) It's not a rumor. I mentioned a possible, realistic consequence of GT not encrypting user data. I never said that it happened. That's called "speculating".
3) It think it's safe to say that the security is weak. Weak is subjective, and in the context of a website, usually understood to be comparable to other websites' security strength. I feel completely safe in saying that GT doe not have security measures as strong as a banking website. And, it -has- been hacked into before, showing, if nothing else, that it's possible to break/bypass the security. I don't think a super-hacker would waste time taking down a unknown forum for no reason, so I think it's safe to assume it was a casual hacker. This is the biggest assumption, but one I feel is reasonable. So, having small website that's capable of being hacked into by casual hackers makes be think it has relatively weak security. Simple.
4) You asked me what reason I had to think the site has weak security, and I answered. So I'll ask you why you think that the hackers a few years go didn't make copies of any user data? How can you possibly know?
5) Spammers. Every site has them. I mentioned them once, in passing. What's your point?
6) I judge the security measure on the above, plus the two times (that I know of) GT actually had malware. The one time, I think was just after it came back online, and had infected icons. Every site has icons, but these had some viruses in them. My anti-virus blocked it. It's in my AV logs. If I could remember the day, I could tell you what virus was blocked.
The other time was some kind of clickjacking attempt. Someone installed software into the site that made you click on things you didn't know where there. My browser caught this, and I reported it. I made a post about it too, alerting everyone. It was a few days after that, that all of my posts got deleted, so you can't see it now, but you might remember it.
So, based on all of this, I judge the site to have security issues. It's not wise to connect to, and download files from a server (which is how it displays the webpage) with weak security, whose administrators seem to not care about it.
Last edited by Demen on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.