It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.9 64-bit Experimental
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:35 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
May be a high price to pay...as a new computer with a lot of RAM

Till not so long ago 2GB ram was considered a lot.
But edit at 16bit a image from not too recent modern camera require a lot of ram (i have a dual-core with 8GB RAM and that seems barely sufficient for edit shoot from my Nikon D60..to edit slowly and with sounds of fans screaming in agony )
And i fear that to edit at 16 bit images from more modern reflex the double may be barely sufficient ... and that soon in photographic forums you will read more and more replies as

"Problem to edit ? How you may expect to have no problem to edit RAW working with with that poor old quad core with only 20GB ram ?"

Well, I think you meant 2GB RAM and not 20 in the last sentence? :) 20GB would be fine.

In any case, I completely agree with what you said. If you don't have a 64-bit OS with an i5 or i7 processor and at least 16GB RAM, you are going to have some trouble for editing 16-bit color.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:15 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

No, no with 2GB would be totally hopeless and even 8 are not sufficient ( i know because i have 8 and i even if i may do some 16 bit editing, do it is a pain for me and a sort of stress test for my PC)

Obviously 20GB are fine for now, a bit more than fine since as you said even only 16GB would be sufficient... but i was talking of a close future :
20GB are good for..let say edit photos from last Canon Rebel, but may become too few for the next Canon Rebel (or how would be called its future replacement) that obviously will offer much higher resolution

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

So are you saying gimp 16bit editing will be more memory hungry than say something like Rawtherapee ?
I went from a core due 2.13ghz , 2gig of memory (XP ) to a i5-3570, 8gig on win7 65bit and have no problems now with raw from Canon XSI raw's . I was able to do most all even with the XP system but was slow and had to make sure nothing else running .

I guess it will depend on what your doing , working with 24 MP raw and then have multiple layers and you probably need 16 gig .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:07 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

yes more memory hungry mainly for the layers

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
yes more memory hungry mainly for the layers

Yes, I can see that but also most times you don't need full res raw size . You could convert to the size you need and then layers won't add up as much. That is of course if you don't need full size res .

Is this new 2.9 gimp still processing the image using tiling methods (breaking up the image into many tiles and processing and combining) . This is suppose to save on memory, at least for each image processing .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
No, no with 2GB would be totally hopeless and even 8 are not sufficient ( i know because i have 8 and i even if i may do some 16 bit editing, do it is a pain for me and a sort of stress test for my PC)

Obviously 20GB are fine for now, a bit more than fine since as you said even only 16GB would be sufficient... but i was talking of a close future :
20GB are good for..let say edit photos from last Canon Rebel, but may become too few for the next Canon Rebel (or how would be called its future replacement) that obviously will offer much higher resolution

The amount of RAM and # of CPU processors are relevant only to a certain point.
First problem - it depends on what you do with the raw file. Most of the 3rd party plugins are still not ported to access GEGL buffers and work with GIMP tiles, which have been around since GIMP 1.2. Tiling is very slow by its nature.
2.10 will be all about GEGL but, here we run into the second problem:
16-bit or 24-bit per channel color depth processing will be slowed down not by your computer's hardware but by processing with GEGL>OpenCL based rendering. Hardware acceleration with OpenCL is not exactly the fastest compared to some of its alternatives, computation time on NVIDIA graphic cards are too high, not much better on AMDs.
And finally, GIMP multi-threading capabilities are limited. For a number of key procedures GIMP uses just 1 thread. I've noticed that, although GIMP detects all 8 processors of my i7, it hardly utilizes more than 2 and that's where 8GB RAM is usually enough. I have 16GB but it does not perceptibly speed up image processing in GIMP, although it allows PC multitasking. Running GIMP, Blender, Skype and VCL player at the same time - no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:48 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

My PC currently has a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM. It would probably be alright for the type of work I do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Well, the amount of RAM is always relevant. :)

GEGL is under heavy development and I am only optimizing code to a certain extent. For example I build with "-O2 -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize". This results in pretty optimized code and but does not go all the way.

So, things will speed up.

Finally this is an experimental release so that all Windows users can play with it. Why should Linux users have all the fun? :)

Please let me know what difficulties you face with this build. If you find a bug, please don't hesitate to report it.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

lacertile wrote:
My PC currently has a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM. It would probably be alright for the type of work I do.

Yes, it should be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

I assume you can set the color depth per image and layer (if I remember meet the gimp vids on 16bit ).

So could you say working with layers save the one 16bit layer that you want to work on S curves on and then the other layers like masks , blurs , blend have them 8bit ?
to save memory an speed things up or you can't mix bit depth ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:37 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

IIRC the issue of not having enough RAM or addressing limitations of RAM, the bulk of the problem is the amount of disc swapping that is required, which is very slow. Wouldn't adding a SSD drive drastically reduce the problem? If I am wrong, please explain why.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

bilbo9955 wrote:
IIRC the issue of not having enough RAM or addressing limitations of RAM, the bulk of the problem is the amount of disc swapping that is required, which is very slow. Wouldn't adding a SSD drive drastically reduce the problem? If I am wrong, please explain why.

while the app should be able to use virtual ram (HDD ) many are unstable and crash once swapfiles starts to get used heavy .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 am  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Edkiefer wrote:
many are unstable and crash once swapfiles starts to get used heavy .

Do you have an idea of which SSD's would work in this situation? Would it be brand related? Has any testing been done that would show which drives are stable enough, and where can I find these results?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 am  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

bilbo9955 wrote:
Edkiefer wrote:
many are unstable and crash once swapfiles starts to get used heavy .

Do you have an idea of which SSD's would work in this situation? Would it be brand related? Has any testing been done that would show which drives are stable enough, and where can I find these results?

I was talking with HDD's , I don't know if SSD change this, I "think" it is a windows and how the program is programed , but i could be wrong .

AFAIK it always was bad running into swapfile .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

[quote="Edkiefer"][/quote]

SSD stands for Solid State Device. It is high speed flash mem that looks like a disc drive. No seek or latency, just like RAM. Sort of RAM on a Disc, so it is very fast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

bilbo9955,
SSD's have limited read/write cycles.
AFAIK they have a much shorter lifetime than magnetic media.
Swapping will cause lots of write cycles thus reducing lifetime.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

gerard82,
Thank you for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

You're welcome.
I've come by this knowledge by wanting to install Gentoo Linux on an EEEPC.
This netbook computer only had SSD,no regular harddisk.
I was told not to make a swap partition and why.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:18 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

bilbo9955 wrote:
Edkiefer wrote:

SSD stands for Solid State Device. It is high speed flash mem that looks like a disc drive. No seek or latency, just like RAM. Sort of RAM on a Disc, so it is very fast.

One user on Flickr is using an SSD + 4G RAM. He did say it was slow and was looking to speed things up. Perhaps if you are testing the use of SSD as a drive for Gimp, you can let us/me know if it works well?

Thanks!
Partha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

I am the flickr poster with the SSD and 4GB ram on Win7x64.. I actually have my swap/temp on an HDD partition though, as this is supposed to extend SSD lifespan.. I don't notice slowness anywhere else, and even processing 3meg jpegs is slow for me in this 2.9 so far.. I tried moving gimp temp/swap to SSD and HDD and no difference.. Everything is still fine with partha 2.8.2..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next