It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My very first attempt at drawing, literally.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, this is my very first drawing. It's not a tracing but keep in mind I've never had a drawing lesson. I know the drawing itself is crappy but it was mainly an exercise in lighting and shadow and getting used to the software. I did have a reference image, I guess that's cheating but I'd rather be honest about it. Did I get my lighting right or is it a disaster? And I won't learn if people tell me what they think I want to hear, I just ask that you all keep in mind this is my very first drawing attempt.

Attachments:
apple2.png
apple2.png [ 126.72 KiB | Viewed 3052 times ]

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: My very first attempt at drawing, literally.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:56 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It's a very fine first result I think! I like how you have intermixed various colours in the same surface - this is just how an apple looks, remniscent of subsurface diffraction. It's a pretty advanced technique, not many first paints get that right.

For some feedback: You might consider going over the edge with an eraser to sharpen the edge (this further marks the hard, smooth surface). Furthermore, if you slightly smudge together the brush strokes of the the area facing us (only), you will help enhance the 3D-feel a bit methinks. Just some minor ideas. :)

There is by the way nothing "cheating" about using a reference. Noone can keep the detailed structure of every object in memory at all times. Your goal is to create a compelling image, use whichever help you feel you need to reach that goal. Keep it up!
Griatch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

I also think it is very good. The only thing I would do is blur the white reflection a little more. Even the stem looks great. kudos Gms.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Looks pretty good to me GMS. I can't draw a straight line (lack of patiences; lol). :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:57 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Looks good to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

agree on all counts...the lighting could be more fadded on the edges and the apple outline could be sharper...love the coloring and the shape. I can' tell you are tentative by the wiggly outline, but this is a great pic for your first trial.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:23 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Griatch wrote:
It's a very fine first result I think! I like how you have intermixed various colours in the same surface - this is just how an apple looks, remniscent of subsurface diffraction. It's a pretty advanced technique, not many first paints get that right.

For some feedback: You might consider going over the edge with an eraser to sharpen the edge (this further marks the hard, smooth surface). Furthermore, if you slightly smudge together the brush strokes of the the area facing us (only), you will help enhance the 3D-feel a bit methinks. Just some minor ideas. :)

There is by the way nothing "cheating" about using a reference. Noone can keep the detailed structure of every object in memory at all times. Your goal is to create a compelling image, use whichever help you feel you need to reach that goal. Keep it up!
Griatch

Yeah, I know the edge is rough, which bothered me but in my defense my hand was hurting and shaking.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Also, to kill the flatness of your apple, I suggest this brief tutorial about volumes, I think you could really benefit from this one http://katmomma.deviantart.com/art/The- ... y-77354239

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

gms9810: you've done a super job on the colours - just the right shades and the way they're intertwined really makes it look like apple peal. i know i'm more or less repeating what griatch said here, but i think it's worth repeating. i also think you got the stem spot on. you already had comments on the more important things, if you feel liking going fussy about this apple you might try to emphasize the placement of the stem - not sort of floating on top of the apple, but sunk down a little. this could be done in several ways and i won't bore you trying to explain them, you probably have your own ideas already anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

anarkhya wrote:
Also, to kill the flatness of your apple, I suggest this brief tutorial about volumes, I think you could really benefit from this one http://katmomma.deviantart.com/art/The- ... y-77354239

Thanks for the link interesting read.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

You've done an excellent job. Your colours and values are good though the shadows could be a touch stronger and a shadow to show that it is resting on some surface would improve it. For a first attempt I'm very impressed!