It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Leaf.
:)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Leaf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

After your comments in the constructive criticism thread, am I right in assuming that you would like some feedback? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Sure, go ahead. No need to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

A lovely close up. Is that with a high quality (and expensive) camera or a compact?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:04 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

I have to start by questioning why you've posted an image that's too big for this forum, and is therefore being scaled by the forum, so that the image you've created isn't what we are getting to see.

Also in it's original size I can't see all of it at once: I have to vertical scroll, so my comments are based on having to see a forum-mangled version.

That said, I like it. I like where the point of focus is and the depth of field is just right for me. The one thing I don't like is that the leaf disappears out of the right hand side of the frame - it drags my eye away from the picture.

Kevin

edit: Having pointed out what I don't like, I think I should make it clear that it's a minor objection :)

Last edited by paynekj on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:57 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I like your picture, SkyRoma. I love that line of water at the edge of the leaf.
On my monitor I see something dark. Do you think you can play with "levels" and post another version less dark?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

As its a photo restoration i would be interested to see the original, looks really good though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Hearty-Here' s the original. I really didn' t do very much on this one, though. So it' s not all that interesting.

YAFU-I don' t know what you see that' s dark. If you can tell me what you mean I' ll lighten that part up if you want.
Erisian-It' s a pretty cheap Nikon digital camera, nothing special. Still can' t afford a really HQ camera :)
Payne-I never scale my images down. I want you to see them exactly how I intended them to be. It' s really too bad that this forum automatically scales everything down so for now you' re just going to have to click it and hit "Expand to actual size".
Actually I really like how the leaf disappears out of frame, that' s kind of what I was going for. Having the whole leaf in frame would have made it too static for me.

Thanks for the compliments guys :jumpclap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

SkyRoma wrote:
Payne-I never scale my images down. I want you to see them exactly how I intended them to be. It' s really too bad that this forum automatically scales everything down so for now you' re just going to have to click it and hit "Expand to actual size".

But that's my second point - it's impossible for me to view it at your intended size because it's too tall to be displayed on my monitor, even with Firefox set to full screen mode.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:42 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I was referring to the entire image. For example in "Input Levels" I've put on 1.6 the gamma. That way I can see those buds up in the picture better too.
Maybe it's a problem with my monitor. Or maybe you wanted it that way, to which I have nothing to say about that then :)

Last edited by YAFU on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:43 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Founder

Just thought I'd mention that clicking on an embedded image gives the user the option to see it at full size. The ability to see any image at full size is dependent on the user's current display resolution and has nothing to do with this forum's software.

Nice photo by the way. :bigthup