It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a question for veteran linux users
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've been searching for a linux distro that would be good for a begainner like myself, then someone told me about linux mint and zorin os, i've burned the live dvd for them both and while they both seem cool from what i can see like i said i don't now much about linux just yet so i really don't know which one to chose, so any advice? thanks a bunch.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: a question for veteran linux users
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Have you had problems with these distributions?
My recommendation is that you try for yourself some distributions with different desktops (KDE, Xfce, GNOME, etc.) and keep the one you have liked and it has caused fewer problems. Many of them can be tested in Live mode.
In addition to the ones you already tested: OpenSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu), Gentoo, Mageia, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

Both of those Linux distributions are based on Debian/Ubuntu Linux so there isn't a big difference under the hood.

Although, if I were you, I'd go with Mint for two reasons. Mint is currently the most popular Linux distro (see distrowatch) and I think you'll find the support community for Mint is a good one. The 2nd reason to go with Mint is that the default Desktop is Cinnamon, which is basically Gnome shell with all of the more popular extensions already installed. Given that, I believe Cinnamon will make the transition from Windows a little easier than jumping right into a distro with plain Gnome3 as the default desktop. MATE desktop is also available with Mint, which is another popular traditional Windows style desktop. Mint also includes most of the media codecs you need to get you playing music and videos right out of the box.

As YAFU said though, all it takes is a CD to give any of them a test drive.

Good luck and welcome to Linux! :pengy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:02 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I tried probably a dozen different distros before I finally settled for one -- which happened to be Mint 8. I still look at other distros. Right now I am using mint 12 with gnome shell -- which Gnu said might be a bit much at first, and I agree -- but still play with straight ubuntu, fedora, pclinuxos, sabayon, etc. Try them all. See what works with your hardware.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:31 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

There will be as many different answers as there are users, it becomes a very personal thing.

At the moment I have 3 distros up and working.
Main one is PClinuxOS KDE which I think is rock-solid. It is a rolling release, so you do not need to install a new edition every 6 months to keep up-to-date.
For the odd application which might be old/unavailable in PCLOS, I have a LinuxMint Debian Edition with KDE installed.
A little Acer A110 netbook, running Bohdi E17 - brilliant but maybe not for beginners.

For several years I ran Mepis from (ver. 3.6 to 8.0) and that has one of the best installers around. A bit dull these days and has fallen out of favour but a good starter.

All these you can try out as a 'live-CD (or DVD). Another thing to check on before deciding are the user forums. Example Mint does have problems with sound, look at the reports and see if they apply to your hardware.