It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Magnifying Glass
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Great work looks really good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you all for commenting!
@YAFU. You're not easy to fool, but could you have kept it a secret? :hehe
@he4rty - you were the first to point out shadows over-usage in the first place. Thank you for sharing your opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:39 pm  (#23) 
Script Coder

I think it looks really good, but you've irked me by using the words "real life optics behavior" :(

My problem is that your distortion due to magnification is not correct compared to the real world:
Attachment:
IMGP0866_from_raw_sml.jpg
IMGP0866_from_raw_sml.jpg [ 211.53 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]
Attachment:
IMGP0870_from_raw_sml.jpg
IMGP0870_from_raw_sml.jpg [ 144.6 KiB | Viewed 1327 times ]

Just to make it clear though, I think you've made an excellent piece of graphic art.

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:19 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
I think it looks really good, but you've irked me by using the words "real life optics behavior" :(

My problem is that your distortion due to magnification is not correct compared to the real world

So what would be the real world lens magnifier if they all have different magnifications and distortions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
I think it looks really good, but you've irked me by using the words "real life optics behavior"
My problem is that your distortion due to magnification is not correct compared to the real world:
Kevin

I agree with what you said, Kevin. And it's just one of many flaws in this work.
By 'real life optic behavior' I was only referring to offsetting text line relative to X-axis as it is shown in the first image in YAFU's post (thank you, YAFU!), not the whole distortion. For any point below the horizontal line drawn through the lens' center the text line is curved upward and vice versa.
By and large, I just don't have enough skill to reproduce the real life distortion. I had 3 versions, done with Map Object, Curve Bend and Cage transform Tool. Didn't like any of those. Ended up with just increasing text size and applying lens distortion plugin. It's not correct, but looks better.
On a side note, optical distortion due to magnification depends on few factors. Magnification power, lens diameter and curvature, focal length and vintage point. You change any of those factors and the picture is going to change too. Source of light could also be a factor, at some point I was even thinking of reproducing fringes due to chromatic aberration. But that would have been an overkill.