It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overwhelming
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Is all I can say.
GIMP looks and sounds incredible but every time I am on here and read about plug-ins, fractals and a million other seemingly far too technical things I realise what a learning curve it will be.
I guess where to start is the question and that leads to what do I want to achieve and how quickly.
It would be nice to attend a full time class with other "idiots" in attendance. There is something comforting about being one of a group, as opposed to being the only one, of newbies. :oops:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Overwhelming
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:30 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Bredies everyone is here to help in whatever your interests are and it's easy to begin by becoming familiar with your Gimp by doing some of the tutorials from Essential Gimp Tutorials

Welcome to GimpChat and Enjoy, remember no question or problem is to minor here and there's always someone around to help

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Graechan
I will go and watch each of those and hope to retain something.
I have a Mac and assume that what can be done on a PC is catered for in Mac version albeit somewhat different.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

If you want to do it all, and do it all at the same time, then yes. A new program like GIMP can be overwhelming. What you probably want to do is, compartmentalize your learning.

You don't need all those plug-ins these guys are talking about. not necessarily to start anyways. You can work your way up to it.

Instead, you might want to approach GIMP with an idea first. A concept of what it is you want to achieve. Do you want to clean up an old photo? Do you want to paint? Are you into typography. Do you need a forum signature or a banner for a website?

Once you know what it is you're trying to create, find ways to realize your idea. If there's a tutorial on it either here, or out there on the web, try to follow that. These tutorials usually deal with a very small margin of what GIMP as a whole is capable of. Ask questions if something doesn't make sense.

It won't take long at all for you to gain a pool of knowledge this way and you don't have to face the steep cliff of knowing nothing and needing to know everything. It's all in the approach. Don't get discouraged.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

i agree i believe it is important have a goal

Learn the program is not a goal ..it would be too vague

A good point to start is ..what you wish to do ?

Modify existing images adding some effect you like , maybe just add frame text watermark )...or .create something by scratch...or even make collage

first set a goal then in the process to achive the goal you will start to learn more and more the program

Also if you have a clear goal you may get help

But if the goal is ..learn the program , without a focus, then risk to be...what Frank Zappa called in a beautiful song "cocaine decision"...they may look cool and rewarding when you are very high but when the high mood is gone nothing remains

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Instead, you might want to approach GIMP with an idea first. A concept of what it is you want to achieve. Do you want to clean up an old photo? Do you want to paint? Are you into typography. Do you need a forum signature or a banner for a website?

Start a simple project that you feel motivated fulfilling. Then search for answers to the technical questions.

As suggested above, you would do fine learning the basics through video tutorials (What can be done in PC generally can be done in Mac) and then sail towards your personal project completion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks everyone.
I can now draw a clown! Whoo hooooo! :yes
I agree with the idea of starting with an end goal in sight and that is what I want to do.
Essentially I want to edit and add lines to sporting photos (golf) but where to start was the problem. I am now coming to terms (I think) with layers and transparent backgrounds. And using the tools to shift things so that they all line up.
So progress is being made although I do suspect a few backward steps will be required every now and again.
I will get there! :gimp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Just play around with everything you can find, don't worry about addons like gmic and mathmap yes. Just see what everything does, slide the slides around and explore. There will be things you use all the time and things you'll never use. It's not as daunting as it first seems.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I learned how to use gimp by following tutorials. Even though I might not want the end result for any particular reason, I learned how to use a lot of the gimp tools and filters this way. I started out on a pc and now am on a mac, and once the correct gimp is installed, there is virtually not difference in how you use gimp.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I took an academic approach and had 2 books beside me when I would fire up GIMP 2 years ago. Took me about 2 weeks. But most of the tricks and techniques were learnt from tutorials. Agree with everybody else, focus is important. Otherwise, you can get too overwhelmed and lose an interest in GIMP.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I feel like I need a class too. I used to work a lot with Photoshop, draw backgrounds for a cartoon studio, and worked as a photo-artist (made cards, collages, restored old pictures, etc). It was... well, I have not touched Photoshop for more than 8 years. I am the kind of person who looses it if don't use it. I have gazillion ideas in my head, I know what I can do in Photoshop (which is anything!) but I don't remember how :). I have no access to Photoshop now (if I had, I probably would not remember how to use it anyway), but I read that GIMP is very similar. And it seems that I can do with it what I want. I know exactly what I want and I look for tutorial on gimp website and watched YouTube. Some is helpful, just takes forever to find what I need. But some info I cannot find. Right now I struggle with removing this crawling line from selection. It drives me crazy :gaah ! I took several pictures and want to combine some pieces together to create one image. I found tutorial on YouTube how to use layers and combine pieces. I am still not good with erasing exactly what I want as much as I want. So, if somebody can give me advice how to erase precisely what I need with vague edges, so that two layers would have gradual transition, I would greatly appreciate it! But mainly - HOW DO I GET READ OF THE CRAWLING LINE that I could work with the layer! Please!!! :faint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

The two images into one is something I want to do aswell. So be good to be directed to a video/tutorial.
Never used photoshop but sounds like GIMP will do everything I need it to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

@Markgolfa, If you are talking about getting rid of the marching ants around your layers, go to top and click view and go down the list until you see show layer boundry, click that and the ants will be gone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I'm very new to this myself. At first I just started looking thru all the menus and selecting different things to see what they did. Then I started playing with the tools until I understood their functions. Vido tutorials were and still are invaluable to learning. I don't remember the whole thing but when I watch them I find myself thinking, "Ah, that's what that thing is for." I realize now that you don't need to know everything to create interesting things. Just have fun with it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

The complexity of the program depends very much on what you use it for.

If you rely heavily on filter effects and aim to do lots of computer-controlled photomanipulation then I guess you do need to eventually dig deep into the more advanced features/plugins of GIMP. It's a huge program once you scrape the surface.

... If you on the other hand are more into freeform painting you really only need to understand the toolbox and a few best practices. Personally, once I learned Ctrl+Shift+A for un-selecting everything, most of my GIMP trouble just went away. ;)
Griatch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:39 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Lol Griatch, that's funny. I can totally relate. there are a few shortcut keys I discovered and had a joygasm too. Ctrl + F to repeat a filter. (I'm a compulsive gaussian blurrer -.-) Also when someone here mentioned you can just drag the color box onto the layer to fill it with that color, my mind was blown. And that happened like less than a week ago. So I'm still standing with one foot in the noob corral.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Then, be prepared to be blown away by ctrl+,(fill with foreground colour) and ctrl+.(fill with background colour).

I still keep some obscure yet useful keyboard shortcuts, like shift+ctrl+l(float selection) and ctrl+h(anchor layer), printed or written with big letters on a sheet of paper pasted in the front or side walls of my studio.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:32 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I think someone around here made a shortcut list you can print out...but have no idea where it is. I have been using gimp for several years, and never knew about these fill, float, and anchor shortcuts! I work somewhat slowly, and never use shortcuts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

This was posted a while back and may be dependent on version. I'm not sure.

Attachments:
GIMP-shortcuts-new.pdf [550.73 KiB]
Downloaded 65 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:29 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome to know that everyone is always on a learning curve. Feel much better now - thanks
The entire day has been allocated to learning as much as I can and to have fun doing it.
1st project is to merge 3 photos into one.
For that I think I need to master the scissors tool.
See you all later!