It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Overwhelming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:43 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

I'm struggling here peeps.
I have my layers and I am able to cut out parts of the image I want to overlay on the original but ….
I am unable to view the completed image!
Using the image of a golfer I want to show the address (start) position of the arms, the takeaway and the follow-through.
Any video tutorials showing how to do this?
I think I am close. May have something to do with the "alpha channels" whatever those are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 pm  (#22) 
Global Moderator

Did you turn off the eye on the images above the one you want to look at? If there is an image that is higher in the layer stack than the one you want to see, the higher one will block it unless you turn off the eye above.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:19 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Molly, Yes I have done that and also shifted the various layers up and down. Still cannot get both images to show at once.
The one superimposed on the other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

An Alpha channel is basically what allows your image to be transparent. if your cutout layer looks white with just your cut out image on it then you need to go to layer > transparency>add alpha channel, then use the colour selection tool to isolate your image from the white background,
then goto Edit>cut and it should remove the backround leaving the layer transparent with just your cutout remaining. and the layer beneath showing through.

or you can right click the layer and select add alpha channel from the pop up menu.

or you can use the colours menu and select colour to alpha and then select white, but that will alpha-ise all the white on that layer including any white in your cutout :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks so much for all the help. I have taken huge steps and my image is almost acceptable.
Just a little bit of touching up to do and it is good to save and use.
Jam your help was invaluable in the latter stages. Can't tell you how much I appreciate the support.