It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting with GIMP / GPS / GIMP Painter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello,

After watching the impressive video of Griatch, I wanted to know more about the possibilities to paint in Gimp.
I know that the most important of work of Griatch is done with MyPaint but I have seen some video of paint with Gimp.

I have tested the presets "GPS 2.0" created by Ramon Miranda for GIMP 2.8, which give easily a preview about the possibilities of Gimp for painting.

I wanted more information and I have seen some tutorials which deals of Gimp Painter, it seems that it's a standalone version based on GIMP 2.6 and not an addon to include in Gimp as GPS.

On the Gimp version 2.6, Gimp Painter allows to use 2 new tools (mix-brush and G-pen) which don't exist in Gimp, I wondered if with the improvements of Gimp 2.8, if Gimp Painter 2.6 can do tasks / actions that it is still not possible in version 2.8 ?

Would it have been possible to include the tools mix-brush and G-pen directly in the classic version of Gimp instead of creating another version separate ?

I have found some videos about a new version of Gimp Painter based on Gimp 2.8 and I have suprised to see that it is possible to include MyPaint brushes in Gimp and use it very easily.

MyPaint in Gimp :

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

New version Gimp Painter :

It is possible to rotate canvas by any degree :

Is this kind of development is very difficult to implement in Gimp or are there not enough interest for the gimp users that we don't see more users of Gimp Painter or more informations relayed by the developper or users ?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Painting with GIMP / GPS / GIMP Painter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I believe the GimpPainter for 2.8 only just recently started to implement MyPaint brushes in its git release.

As for interest in core GIMP, my impression was that GimpPainter for 2.6 had very hard-to-read code, on the level of making it too massive an effort to manage it as part of GIMP proper. I don't know if this is still the case for the 2.8 version, but it's at least what I've heard before (disclaimer: I never saw the code myself).

I've tried GimpPainter in the past, but compared to MyPaint it offers (or at least offered) very little extra value for me. MyPaint+regular GIMP works just fine for me, that's exactly what MyPaint was designed for. I paint mostly in MyPaint these days, but that's not to say regular GIMP doesn't work for painting!

Some examples of pure-GIMP-made artwork:
ImageImageImage

Up until 2009 I did all my artwork in vanilla GIMP, and the majority of my tutorials (see sig) deal with using and optimizing plain GIMP for painting. That said, I know several digital painters who like GimpPainter a lot so, it's certainly worth toying with.
Griatch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Griatch for sharing your opinion on Gimp Painter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:18 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for pointing out MyPaint in gimp, never heard of it (or heard and forgot probably), it reminds me some features of Artrage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

That sounds such a great idea to bring 'Gimp Painter' to Gimp so it all runs as one program. I had not heard of 'My Paint'-sounds good. Is it on the same lines as 'Inkscape'?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Deblk wrote:
That sounds such a great idea to bring 'Gimp Painter' to Gimp so it all runs as one program. I had not heard of 'My Paint'-sounds good. Is it on the same lines as 'Inkscape'?

Inkscape it is far more complex to learn and is vectorial
Mypaint is very powerful but much more intuitive to use , and is a bitmap editor, strictly focused only on painting

Mrs Wilbress