It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cannot activate layers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hi! I cannot activate a layer other than "Floating selection". I can paste something from other pictures, but it all will pile on top of each other in the floating selection even though I moved it down to a different layer that I wanted to past it on. I saw some YouTube tutorials and they just clicked on the layer and it became blue and they pasted their cut and it was on that layer. I click on a layer, it doesn't change into blue and I paste, as I said, it all piles on one layer. Do I do something wrong or it has something to do with my computer? I use XP. I read somewhere that XP can be in conflict with GIMP. Also I cannot paint. I choose a brush, color, draw on the image - nothing, on any layer - nothing! Dang! :gaah

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: cannot activate layers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

if you click 'STRG + V' or 'Edit-> paste' to paste a layer, a floating layer will appear
you can transform that layer but not paint on it
you must anchor that layer by clicking on the little anchor icon and then it will merge down, or click the little layer icon instead, to get a new layer and then you will be able to paint on it

also you can use Edit -> Paste as new layer

or File -> Open as layers (if you have a picture on your hd somewhere, that you want to open as a new layer)
Attachment:
Layer.png
Layer.png [ 27.56 KiB | Viewed 1170 times ]