It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shadow around bucket fill selection
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

How do I get rid of the shadow effect around a bucket fill selection area?
I have deleted part of an image and want the deleted section to be the same colour as the rest of the surrounding area.
I have been stuck on this all day!
I have read about it somewhere but cannot find where.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Shadow around bucket fill selection
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

bredies wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

How do I get rid of the shadow effect around a bucket fill selection area?
I have deleted part of an image and want the deleted section to be the same colour as the rest of the surrounding area.
I have been stuck on this all day!
I have read about it somewhere but cannot find where.

It's hard to help without seeing an image or knowing how many layers in it, etc. Try to grow the selection by few pixels in Select>Grow and do the bucket fill again. It's better to use Color picker tool for the color of surrounding BG and Bucket Fill color to match.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I don't know how to upload the image here as I don't have a url for it.

The image is two layers. The background layer is a clock and I have removed the hands.
the clock is white with black numbers and I want the deleted hand area to be white as well.
How difficult can it be?
Pretty difficult if you are as thick as I clearly am.
Before I was able to fill with a colour and was left with an unwanted drop shadow.
Now I cannot even fill the deleted piece with anything.
I give up.
Time to pay some expert $50.00 for something so simple.
I only have about 10 images to do - all as terribly difficult as this!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

bredies wrote:
I don't know how to upload the image here as I don't have a url for it.

The image is two layers. The background layer is a clock and I have removed the hands.
the clock is white with black numbers and I want the deleted hand area to be white as well.
How difficult can it be?
Pretty difficult if you are as thick as I clearly am.
Before I was able to fill with a colour and was left with an unwanted drop shadow.
Now I cannot even fill the deleted piece with anything.
I give up.
Time to pay some expert $50.00 for something so simple.
I only have about 10 images to do - all as terribly difficult as this!

No need for money. Just zip or 7z your xcf file and make an attachment. I will do that for you. 10 images can go into 1 zipped file, just make sure it is not exceeding 5MB in size. You can double compress it too, e.g tar then zip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Although the clock face may appear to be black on white, if you zoom into the image you will notice the line between the hands and the face will have lots of other shades inbetween this is so the image does not appear blocky or pixelated. I f you are using the fuzzy select tool :fuzzsel to select the hands prior to the bucket fill then a couple of things could be happening.

1. the selection is leaving some of the lighter grey areas causing the drop shadow appearance, to correct this try increasing the threshold setting of the tool and select again.
2. it could be you have the feathered edge check box ticked, untick.
3. on the bucket fill tool make sure you have checked the box fill whole selection.

hope this helps a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Guys
K1TesseraEna thank you for the kind offer but even if I did take you up on it (which I wouldn't dream of doing) I wouldn't know how to zip it. Bin it - yes and with pleasure but zip it …… ?????
he4rty I use the scissors tool to cut it out and was left with a transparent background - the grey checks.
1. The drop shadow appears around the portion cut out.
2. I have no idea where this is so doubt I have it ticked
3. Have done exactly that.
I think I am doing everything right, hence the frustrations.
I have watched hours of videos and all seems so easy but when I try it …. well it just doesn't work. Maybe because I am using a Mac.
I guess I will simply have to watch them all over again until I find the solution.
Thanks for the help and the offer - seriously appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

bredies wrote:
Hi Guys
K1TesseraEna thank you for the kind offer but even if I did take you up on it (which I wouldn't dream of doing) I wouldn't know how to zip it. Bin it - yes and with pleasure but zip it …… ?????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_(file_format)

i dont know about macs, but for windows win.rar and 7zip are popular

could it be, the dropshadow is part of the hand ?
if so, i would cut out the hand as you already did, then lock the alpha channel, use the eyedropper to pick the correct color and paint over the shadow, then unlock the alphachannel again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
bredies wrote:
Hi Guys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_(file_format)

i dont know about macs, but for windows win.rar and 7zip are popular

could it be, the dropshadow is part of the hand ?
if so, i would cut out the hand as you already did, then lock the alpha channel, use the eyedropper to pick the correct color and paint over the shadow, then unlock the alphachannel again

Hi Esper,
I have cut out (deleted) a rectangle where the clock hands were. The drop shadow is around the rectangle making it stand out. There is no trace of what has been deleted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

bredies wrote:
Hi Guys
I use the scissors tool to cut it out and was left with a transparent background - the grey checks.
1. The drop shadow appears around the portion cut out.
2. I have no idea where this is so doubt I have it ticked
3. Have done exactly that.
I think I am doing everything right, hence the frustrations.
I have watched hours of videos and all seems so easy but when I try it …. well it just doesn't work. Maybe because I am using a Mac.
I guess I will simply have to watch them all over again until I find the solution.
Thanks for the help and the offer - seriously appreciated.

bredies,

When using the Scissors Select Tool, for the Tool Options make sure you have the Antialiasing and Feather edges options unchecked. If you do not know how to find the Tool Options Dialog window for the Tool you are using, from the Image Window select

Windows | Dockable Dialogs | Tool Options

This will open the Tool Options Dialog window for you. It won't be named "Tool Options", but will take the name of the tool you are working with, which in this case is Scissors. Then as he4rty mentioned, for the Tool Options for the Bucket Fill Tool, make sure you have selected "Fill whole selection" rather than the default setting of "Fill similar colors". If you wish to keep "Fill similar colors" selected, then please change the Threshold value to zero for the Bucket Fill Tool in it's Tool Options Dialog window.

When I tested that here, the "drop shadow" appearing outside the area selected by the Scissor Select Tool when using the Bucket Fill Tool disappeared. Hope you can achieve the same results.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Another thing you could do is when you have the selection you want go into Quick Mask mode (Shift+Q) and use the Color [Threshold] on it, just hit OK, then exit Quick Mask (Shift+Q) before filling with the bucket tool. This removes any feathering or antialiasing around the endges of the selection.

Alan