It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to reopen an already applied color tool
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:24 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hi, it's been days that I'm searching for this answer with no luck ... :( I think it's a quite simple operation but I can't figure out how to do this.

Let's say I open the curve tool, I do some editing, I find a curve I'm happy with (for the moemnt), and I click OK, so the curve box is closed.
Then after a few editing steps, I want to go back to my curve and further tweak it.
I don't want to undo it or apply another curve , I want to restore my previously edited curve and apply a slight variation to it.
How can I achieve this ?

Thank you very much!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to reopen an already applied color tool
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:33 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

If I want to save a curve, I 'save curve' with a name, then I can recall it and tweak it. I'm not in gimp right now so I cannot recall the steps to save a curve.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:11 am  (#3) 

2-ton wrote:
If I want to save a curve, I 'save curve' with a name, then I can recall it and tweak it. I'm not in gimp right now so I cannot recall the steps to save a curve.

I believe I see what you mean, but if i recall a saved curve it immediately applies it a second time, whit the result that the image has twice the contrast I want and I can't modify the original curve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:39 am  (#4) 
Retired Staff

arkham00 wrote:
I believe I see what you mean, but if i recall a saved curve it immediately applies it a second time, whit the result that the image has twice the contrast I want and I can't modify the original curve
In other words, you want to just undo the curve you applied to your image a bit?

If you haven't closed your image, you can Undo the curve you applied (Edit > Undo), then reopen the curves and start from scratch with your saved curve. If you have closed your image you are out of luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:20 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Changing curves changes the data stored in the image file, strictly speaking it's not the same image any more.
Even seemingly non-destructive manipulations like rotation or flipping image result in chunks of information being lost for good.
This is why duplicating image/layer before you apply any destructive change is always a good habit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:52 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It sounds like the feature you want is a "curves adjustment layer". Sadly, Gimp doesn't have adjustment layers at the present time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:29 pm  (#7) 

Hatter wrote:
It sounds like the feature you want is a "curves adjustment layer". Sadly, Gimp doesn't have adjustment layers at the present time.

I googled about "curves adjustment layer" and yes, it is basically what was in my mind ...

Thank you guys