It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creating Gimp Brushes with Clean Lines
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:54 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello,

I have been playing around with making Gimp brushes and so far so good, but I just ran into an issue I was hoping to get some help with.

The previous brushes I created by using shapes in Inkscape and all have worked nicely in Gimp, but this time I was attempting to create a brush using a jpg image of a basic black and white outline drawing with some parts filled in (a flower). The jpg of course was too pixelated around the edges so I put it into Inkscape to clean it up via the Trace Bitmap tool to get a vector drawing of that image. Worked nicely until I uploaded the Inkscape svg file into Gimp and saved it as a gbr. Once uploaded, before saving it as the brush, the lines were all jagged again, and once saved, the brush is stamping with jagged edges and does not look good. If it's a vector file, and looked completely clean in Inkscape, how did it convert back to the lower quality image? Did I miss a step when I uploaded it to Gimp - I didn't change any options with the pop-up box that shows when you upload. Or is there a better way to clean up the image for the gimp brush to work at highest quality (i.e. no jagged edges)?

I've tried to research this on my own but have not found any useful information yet. Thank you for any tips or advice anyone may have for me :)

Mel

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Creating Gimp Brushes with Clean Lines
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

my guess is, the moment you import something to Gimp (or fill a path) it gets rasterized

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:32 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

MelM wrote:

Worked nicely until I uploaded the Inkscape svg file into Gimp and saved it as a gbr. Once uploaded, before saving it as the brush, the lines were all jagged again, and once saved, the brush is stamping with jagged edges and does not look good.
If it's a vector file, and looked completely clean in Inkscape, how did it convert back to the lower quality image? Did I miss a step when I uploaded it to Gimp - I didn't change any options with the pop-up box that shows when you upload. Or is there a better way to clean up the image for the gimp brush to work at highest quality (i.e. no jagged edges)?

I've tried to research this on my own but have not found any useful information yet. Thank you for any tips or advice anyone may have for me :)

Mel

I don't know if it's gonna make any sense, but I have to do a lot of guessing and assumptions here. Having more info and maybe attached files usually helps to find the right solution more quickly.
If the bitmap (raster image) resolution is significantly less than the display resolution, the display will show jagged lines.
Instead of exporting svg directly into GIMP, try exporting as bitmap and then open it in GIMP. Make the exported bitmap resolution optimal for GIMP image to be converted into brush.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Also you may want to convert the brush into its default size by clicking the little button to the right of the size slider in the brush tool dialog.

Oh yeah you would also want to paint with the paintbrush for the best effect.

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you all for your responses.

K1 - sorry for little detail on my issue...I wasn't sure what all was needed in my post to be able to determine what was going on. Next time I'll take screen shots and what not ;)

I am not sure if what you advised makes sense or not - I am a complete noob when it comes to Gimp, Inkscape and graphic design in general...trying to teach myself and there's tons to know, but it's fun trying. I will try to see if I can figure out what you are saying - I assume you mean instead of saving it as a svg file, save it as a bitmap in Inkscape. The resolution part is what I am uncertain of - I don't know what resolution in gimp is optimal for brushes or how to set that - are you talking about when you upload the image to Gimp and get the dialogue box and then setting the pixels? It defaults to 90 right? So would it need to stay at 90 or do I need to bump it up higher? I think I tried 300 and didn't notice any change...but I'll play around with it.

PegLeg - I will try what you suggested as well. (I do use the paintbrush for my brushes).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

MelM wrote:

Hello,

I have been playing around with making Gimp brushes and so far so good, but I just ran into an issue I was hoping to get some help with.

The previous brushes I created by using shapes in Inkscape and all have worked nicely in Gimp, but this time I was attempting to create a brush using a jpg image of a basic black and white outline drawing with some parts filled in (a flower). The jpg of course was too pixelated around the edges so I put it into Inkscape to clean it up via the Trace Bitmap tool to get a vector drawing of that image. Worked nicely until I uploaded the Inkscape svg file into Gimp and saved it as a gbr. Once uploaded, before saving it as the brush, the lines were all jagged again, and once saved, the brush is stamping with jagged edges and does not look good. If it's a vector file, and looked completely clean in Inkscape, how did it convert back to the lower quality image? Did I miss a step when I uploaded it to Gimp - I didn't change any options with the pop-up box that shows when you upload. Or is there a better way to clean up the image for the gimp brush to work at highest quality (i.e. no jagged edges)?

Mel

You can avoid going back and forth between Gimp and Inkscape by using the paths editor in Gimp.

Bitmaps don't scale well, especially up, so you have better make your bitmap the right size each time directly from the vectors/path version(*). Or make a sufficiently large version so that you will only need to scale it down.

(*) suggested work flow:
- load SVG in side image and keep the path;
- drop all layers
- when you need a brush
-- scale image
-- path to selection
-- bucket fill selection on transparent layer with required color
-- Edit/copy
- use the result as the "clipboard" brush
- most of the above can be scripted if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member