It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP 2.8.2 text tool bug
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

My gimp 2.8.2 Text tool has not been working correctly since I installed it.
It's not displaying some glyphs correctly.

Today it's Sans Bold fonts. I said today, because every time it's some different font(s).
Today Text tool cuts out upper part of the capital letter S. It's not always capital letters,
I remember having issues with lower case letters 'g' of some other fonts (don't remember now which ones)

Top to bottom: Sans, Sans Bold, Sans Bold Italic

GIMP 2.8.0 on my laptop doesn't have this issue, Sans fonts are OK in my other editing programs that support them.
Just been wondering if I'm the only one.

BTW, can anyone check xcf file i'm attaching. Would be interesting how it's gonna be displayed in your GIMP.
Don't worry, it's not contagious ;)

Thanks.

Attachments:
Text tool bug.xcf [10.38 KiB]
Downloaded 177 times
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP 2.8.2 text tool bug
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:17 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

i have the same problem with the top cut off

i think it has to do with the font

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

But I've checked Sans with Inkscape and Scribus before posting here, also 2.8.0 doesn't cut letters.
I think it's Text tool or Pango.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Could be a bug with Cairo, there is already one in some linux's that truncates a string to about 19 characters.

I can't reproduce the effect here, PCLOS & Gimp 2.8.2, but I can fix that image by going out of dynamic mode and resizing the text box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:24 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Your XCF shows up the same in mine too, with the s cut off at the top on the bottom two. Mine seems to be okay below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

Seems to be fixed in 2.8.3. Which is what I'm using, apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hi K1TesseraEna,

i have the same problem with the top cut off. (Gimp 2.8.2)

Then change Fixed to Dynamic, and ok! Not need resizing the text box. (size 77)

If after, change back to Mode Fixed, no more cut off top again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:19 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Nice find Akros

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks everyone!

Not that it bothers me much, I have changed the default font in GIMP anyway. Never liked Sans, almost never used it.

rich2005 wrote:
I can fix that image by going out of dynamic mode and resizing the text box.

Akros wrote:
Hi K1TesseraEna,i have the same problem with the top cut off. (Gimp 2.8.2)
Then change Fixed to Dynamic, and ok! Not need resizing the text box. (size 77)
If after, change back to Mode Fixed, no more cut off top again.

Yeah, I've tried everything, even changing baseline and kerning.

here's a short 1 min video of what i'm getting

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I would agree with rich, it could be Cairo, it has some bugs, I heard most recent version doesn't sit well with 2.9 GIT version of GIMP too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Just out of interest, what happens on you installation when you drag the handles up rather than down to resize the text box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Just out of interest, what happens on you installation when you drag the handles up rather than down to resize the text box

Same thing, although it's not on the video, tried to expand text box in all directions, even tried to expand the text box and hit Enter key to make a second line before typing.

S is still cut off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Hey K1TesseraEna, that is strange.
Here, just switch Fixed to Dynamic , and everything changes alone. Do not do anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Akros wrote:
Hey K1TesseraEna, that is strange.
Here, just switch Fixed to Dynamic , and everything changes alone. Do not do anything else.

Thanks, Akros! But I did that in the second half of the video. Didn't work.

It can't be fixed without trying to downgrade/upgrade the version of Cairo I have in my GIMP, and do not wanna do that.
Not much of a problem, since it does not affect most of my other fonts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna my Gimp is 2.8.2 and not have same problem...
As i said... very strange.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 am  (#15) 
Script Coder

For me it works fine no matter if it's fixed or dynamic. I can't seem to replicate the bug no matter what I do.

I'm running self-compiled gimp 2.8.3 (from git) in linux mint 13, and my libcairo version is 1.10.2-6.1ubuntu3 if that helps any.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

dd wrote:
For me it works fine no matter if it's fixed or dynamic. I can't seem to replicate the bug no matter what I do.

I'm running self-compiled gimp 2.8.3 (from git) in linux mint 13, and my libcairo version is 1.10.2-6.1ubuntu3 if that helps any.

Thank you, dd.
AFAIK Linux version of GIMP does not have that problem (and many, many others). Windows version of GIMP is notorious for its bugs.
GIMP team desperately needs developers for windows platform, not so much for developing as for patching and fixing bugs.
Oh, well...I have Ubuntu and all that comes together on my VM Virtual Box.

I can build GIMP on Windows from the git repository but it won't solve the problem since the code for Windows itself is buggy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
AFAIK Linux version of GIMP does not have that problem (and many, many others). Windows version of GIMP is notorious for its bugs.
GIMP team desperately needs developers for windows platform, not so much for developing as for patching and fixing bugs.
Oh, well...I have Ubuntu and all that comes together on my VM Virtual Box.

So... why are you using windows anyway? It seems to me your problem is halfway solved ;)

As for finding windows developers... The problem is that the windows API is purposely made to be as complicated and unreliable as possible. Microsoft has figured that it makes it harder to port windows programs to other platforms so they gain a competitive advantage by making their API so complicated. It's much easier to port between unix-like systems, like BSD, Solaris, Linux or MacOS, but windows doesn't play nice.

Another thing is the difference in mindset between windows users and linux users. Windows users are less familiar to free software and developers who use windows are more likely to want monetary compensation for any work they do. They're not familiar with the idea of collaborating for common benefit because it's not a paradigm that is closely tied with the windows platform, unlike it is on linux. Therefore it is probably harder to find windows developers who are willing to contribute their time to free software projects.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 pm  (#18) 

I've had the same issue and I tried the upgrade. The available upgrade was for 2.8.4. This did not fix the issue.

While this is not a gimp-centric solution I ended up using a workaround. I created my text pieces in inkscape, exported them, and then imported into gimp. The result was perfect. Normally I wouldn't want to go to all this trouble but I was stuck with a particular font due to other previously designed elements. This at least got the job done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

sethro wrote:
I've had the same issue and I tried the upgrade. The available upgrade was for 2.8.4. This did not fix the issue.

While this is not a gimp-centric solution I ended up using a workaround. I created my text pieces in inkscape, exported them, and then imported into gimp. The result was perfect. Normally I wouldn't want to go to all this trouble but I was stuck with a particular font due to other previously designed elements. This at least got the job done.

Thanks sethro. I have (and heavily use) Inkscape and AI CS6 at my disposal and do my texts mostly with them.
Like I said many times before, if software has an important feature or tool I would like to see it working 100% no matter what.
Half of my bold fonts has that cut off problem
When the developers of GIMP referring to their product as a high-end image editing program used by the professionals and one of the basic tools
is broken, there is something wrong going on. They said it's Cairo's fault but GIMP on Linux uses the same Cairo and Text tool is working properly.
Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:41 am  (#20) 

I know this is a super-old thread, but I'm using 2.8.10 on Windows 7 and it's still doing this. GIMP cuts off sides and tops of text and I really feel like I shouldn't have to use a third-party app to get text to paste into my images. Any updated suggestions? Thx!