It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.9 64-bit Experimental
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 am  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

eulu wrote:
I am the flickr poster with the SSD and 4GB ram on Win7x64.. I actually have my swap/temp on an HDD partition though, as this is supposed to extend SSD lifespan.. I don't notice slowness anywhere else, and even processing 3meg jpegs is slow for me in this 2.9 so far.. I tried moving gimp temp/swap to SSD and HDD and no difference.. Everything is still fine with partha 2.8.2..

I just replied to you on Flickr as well. :)

One additional point to note is that a lot of the processing is being handled by Gegl. While I have optimized it a little, it may appear slower than the 8-bit counterpart.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:55 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Partha. As I said at flickr, I did a reinstall because the 2.9 install messed up my 2.8.2 install.. 2.9 still gives me a resolution error on some tifs when I open them. (The ones I've tested are dng's converted using Irfanview)..

I assumed it would be slower with gegl and 16bit, but this is definitely too slow.. Hopefully still room for improvement. Could you help me understand why it's this slow in gimp, yet when in delab for instance it's not slow at all? Even when I load jpegs in 2.9 gimp, it's painfully slow for every function.

I'll try to hold out before moving back to 2.8.2 just in case there is anything you want me to check/test.. I'd like to have them both installed? Any recommendations for that? Installing 2.9 definetely hurt my Partha 2.8.2 install. I was getting errors (lib something dll errors). I wish I would have taken a snap of it but I didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

eulu wrote:
Thanks Partha. As I said at flickr, I did a reinstall because the 2.9 install messed up my 2.8.2 install.. 2.9 still gives me a resolution error on some tifs when I open them. (The ones I've tested are dng's converted using Irfanview)..

I responded to this on Flickr.
Quote:
I assumed it would be slower with gegl and 16bit, but this is definitely too slow.. Hopefully still room for improvement. Could you help me understand why it's this slow in gimp, yet when in delab for instance it's not slow at all? Even when I load jpegs in 2.9 gimp, it's painfully slow for every function.

This should not happen. Jpegs are 8-bit and so loading should not be an issue. Definitely room for improvement. 2.9 is work in progress and will remain so for awhile.

Delaboratory uses a completely different mechanism for loading files. It's written from the ground up to deal with 8/16/32 bit color. Gimp is loaded with a lot of legacy baggage which will take time to fix.
Quote:
I'll try to hold out before moving back to 2.8.2 just in case there is anything you want me to check/test.. I'd like to have them both installed? Any recommendations for that? Installing 2.9 definetely hurt my Partha 2.8.2 install. I was getting errors (lib something dll errors). I wish I would have taken a snap of it but I didn't.

Sorry about that. Definitely urge you to use 2.8.2 for production work and 2.9 for playing. Please use the portable version of 2.9 so that you won't have to mess your 2.8.2 installation. 2.9 does not touch your personal space (.gimp-2.8) and so will not have messed your personal stuff. During first run 2.9 simply copies over your settings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:20 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

cool thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 am  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

Just installed the 64 bit portable build to look at. Might convert one of my RAW files tomorrow to a 16 bit TIFF to see how well it handles it. I was converting them to 8 bit TIFFs after seeing the obvious failure of 2.6.x with 16 bits but these days typically just open the RAW file in photoshop and save to PSD for the archives and JPG for posting.
All of the images I have used in the GIMP lately were JPGs to start with; mainly the original images on FARK contests.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:35 pm  (#46) 
Global Moderator

I just downloaded Partha Gimp 2.9 portable, some of the filters have a G in front of them, I'm not sure why? I guess I need more coffee :roll:

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:11 pm  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
I just downloaded Partha Gimp 2.9 portable, some of the filters have a G in front of them, I'm not sure why? I guess I need more coffee :roll:

G means those plugins are operated by GEGL.

GIMP 2.10 will be fully ported to GEGL libraries, it won't be released until then. Right now GIMP porting to GEGL is about 20% accomplished. GEGL is what is going to allow GIMP to work with 16-bit and 32-bit floating point depth precision.
The problem is that all C plugins have to be re-coded to be able to work with GEGL.
Old, not-maintained plugins like UfRAW, GAP, Mathmap, Separate+ etc. will not work in 2.10.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 am  (#48) 
Script Coder

partha wrote:
You are going to need at least 8G RAM for which you need a 64-bit OS.

Not if you use PAE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 am  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

I have updated all builds (Mac, Windows 32 bit, Windows 64 bit, Windows regular and portable versions) with the latest source.

Now the builds do not interfere with your existing 2.8.2 builds and so you can have these builds side by side or use the portable version which includes the plugins. The plugins include the latest G'mic 1.5.3.0.

Thanks for all your support!

Partha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 am  (#50) 
GimpChat Member

Does this mean I can download to my macbook and it won't interfere with my mcgimp/gmic?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Partha. Nice work.
As you say on your website, the new one is faster than the old one. Yes, thats correct, but still very, very far from being usable. I'm a little sceptical about Gegl, for being usable at all, the speed must increase at least for the factor of ten, better more. I would need gimp for working on my 16Bit DSLR photos of 20 Megapixels. Thats not possible, even with JPG of that size, and I don't think, that this slowliness is just the debugging code.
Do you have any hints, maybe, regarding gegls environment variables, such as GEGL_CHUNK_SIZE, etc, that might speed up gegl?
I have a i870 processor, GTX460 graphics card and 32GB Ram.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 pm  (#52) 
Global Moderator

partha wrote:
I have updated all builds (Mac, Windows 32 bit, Windows 64 bit, Windows regular and portable versions) with the latest source.

Now the builds do not interfere with your existing 2.8.2 builds and so you can have these builds side by side or use the portable version which includes the plugins. The plugins include the latest G'mic 1.5.3.0.

Partha
I'm not sure about the 'side by side' install. I tried the 'side by side' with Gimp 2.9 32-bit listed under, Downloads, Gimp 2.9 Experimental (Git Source January 25, 2013) at partha.com. I have Gimp 2.8.2 already. After the install, 2.9 worked fine, I closed it and tried 2.8.2, it wouldn't load with an error message I believe was related to libbabl-0.1-0.dll. I should have made a screen shot of the error message. I have now uninstalled 2.9 and 2.8.2 is back to normal.

I'll go with the portable version for now.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
I'm not sure about the 'side by side' install. I tried the 'side by side' with Gimp 2.9 32-bit listed under, Downloads, Gimp 2.9 Experimental (Git Source January 25, 2013) at partha.com. I have Gimp 2.8.2 already. After the install, 2.9 worked fine, I closed it and tried 2.8.2, it wouldn't load with an error message I believe was related to libbabl-0.1-0.dll. I should have made a screen shot of the error message. I have now uninstalled 2.9 and 2.8.2 is back to normal.

I had problems with portable 2.9 a week ago. Portable creates .gimp-2.9 folder and tries to copy the entire content of my .gimp-2.8.2 folder in there.
Obviously, so many plugins are not compatible with experimental version. GIMP 2.9 would throw tons of 'missing dll' warnings at me before
it would finally open.
Can it be prevented somehow? I don't want any of my 2.8 stuff in 2.9. Just the 'virgin' 2.9.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 pm  (#54) 
Global Moderator

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Can it be prevented somehow? I don't want any of my 2.8 stuff in 2.9. Just the 'virgin' 2.9.
I had previously been running the last partha 2.9 portable build without issue. I had installed that version directly to a USB drive, with no conflict with 2.8.2 on my main drive.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm  (#55) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
K1TesseraEna wrote:
I had previously been running the last partha 2.9 portable build without issue. I had installed that version directly to a USB drive, with no conflict with 2.8.2 on my main drive.

That answers why you didn't have that problem. I was trying to install Portable on external hard drive. It still finds dam 2.8 user folder and copies it.
One possible solution here is to move .gimp-2.8.2 folder temporarily. But 2.9 is still not very good for production, I just wanted a little experimenting with it, that's all.
Second solution - to get available zip version instead of Windows installer.

BTW, PhotoComix's Portable sits well with existing GIMP and doesn't copy user folder, so I kinda expected the same from 2.9. But PC's Lab comes as zip file.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:11 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
Does this mean I can download to my macbook and it won't interfere with my mcgimp/gmic?

That's right. They each have their own space and so should not interfere.

Please let me know immediately if it does! Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm  (#57) 
GimpChat Member

Onkel Hatti wrote:
Thanks Partha. Nice work.
As you say on your website, the new one is faster than the old one. Yes, thats correct, but still very, very far from being usable. I'm a little sceptical about Gegl, for being usable at all, the speed must increase at least for the factor of ten, better more. I would need gimp for working on my 16Bit DSLR photos of 20 Megapixels. Thats not possible, even with JPG of that size, and I don't think, that this slowliness is just the debugging code.
Do you have any hints, maybe, regarding gegls environment variables, such as GEGL_CHUNK_SIZE, etc, that might speed up gegl?
I have a i870 processor, GTX460 graphics card and 32GB Ram.

Hi Onkel,

Long time! :)

With your setup, it should be quite fast. I find 16G ram on my i7 laptop usable. Not fast, but usable. :)

The Mac is faster with only 8G ram.

I think we need to give GEGL a chance. :)

I would not mess with GEGL_CHUNK_SIZE. I find that it actually slows down.

You can try
GEGL_USE_OPENCL=yes (I do this on the Mac), and perhaps try
GEGL_TILE_SIZE=512x256. I find this to help too.

I am reluctant to use far out optimization while compiling since it's a work in progress.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
partha wrote:

Partha

Thanks for this feedback Odinbc!

I am not sure why this is the case. Gimp 2.9 is not in the PATH and so, it shouldn't happen. It's possible that a registry entry is doing this. I might be able to fix this and test it for the next update.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:25 pm  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Odinbc wrote:
K1TesseraEna wrote:

That answers why you didn't have that problem. I was trying to install Portable on external hard drive. It still finds dam 2.8 user folder and copies it.
One possible solution here is to move .gimp-2.8.2 folder temporarily. But 2.9 is still not very good for production, I just wanted a little experimenting with it, that's all.
Second solution - to get available zip version instead of Windows installer.

BTW, PhotoComix's Portable sits well with existing GIMP and doesn't copy user folder, so I kinda expected the same from 2.9. But PC's Lab comes as zip file.

When you run Gimp (2.9 or otherwise) the first time (regardless of build, zip or otherwise) it will look for an existing gimp installation and import it. So, this is normal. :)

I am reluctant to mess with the current code for fear of introducing my own bugs. :)

Let me see what I can do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:36 pm  (#60) 
Global Moderator

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Odinbc wrote:

One possible solution...
I just went back to what worked before, portable on USB; works like a charm!

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next