It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Release of G'MIC 1.5.4.0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hi there.
As promised, the latest stable version has lasted for a long time (less than a month :) ), so it is really time to have a new stable version (numbered 1.5.4.0).Here is the changelog :

New features :

- New translation of the GIMP plug-in into Spanish. Thanks to Ramon Miranda for this contribution !
- New external filters source added, from James Prichard : http://www.h-ps.demon.co.uk/. Thanks James !
- New filter for the plug-in 'Colors / Recolorize' which is able to interpolate color patches on a top layer to recolorize a B&W image on, the bottom layer [backported to 1.5.2.0+].
- New command '-weave' and associated plug-in filter 'Patterns / Weave' that adds a weave effect to selected image [backported to 1.5.2.0+].

Improvements:

- Recoded most of the layer blending modes. Now commands '-compose_*' are deprecated and most of them are replaced by a single command '-blend' [backported to 1.5.2.0+].
- Removed all 'hardcoded' informations about locations for filters updates. Now, all is handled through the 'gmic_sources.cimgz' file.

Bug fixes:

- Bash substituted characters (as `,!, etc..) are now accepted in filenames, when loading or saving image files with exotic formats (that request a call to external tool 'convert').
- Fixed bug in command '-smooth'. The version taking a tensor field as a parameter and using LIC-based smoothing was not accepting a complete list of arguments.
- Fixed bug in command '-image' (aka '-j'): The command was only considering the first channel of the opacity mask, when one was specified.
- Fixed translation problem on Linux. Sometimes, the detected locale was incorrect.

I hope you will enjoy this version. Now, I'm preparing my slides for the talk on G'MIC for the FOSDEM'2013 conference next Saturday. Maybe I'll post them here if someone is interested.

Cheers !

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Release of G'MIC 1.5.4.0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Can I ask if these new versions can be put into mcgimp to replace the older g'mic. And how it would be done? I still have not learned much about digging around in the mac file system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Can't update :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
Can I ask if these new versions can be put into mcgimp to replace the older g'mic. And how it would be done? I still have not learned much about digging around in the mac file system.

I don't know how this is working on Mac sorry. You should ask this question on the Flickr forum to Karo who is building the G'MIC packages for Mac.

Akros wrote:

I've just put new packages from Samj on the website for Win64 users. Maybe you could be concerned ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:32 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Ronounours wrote:
...Now, I'm preparing my slides for the talk on G'MIC for the FOSDEM'2013 conference next Saturday. Maybe I'll post them here if someone is interested.
Cheers !
I would be interested in seeing your FOSDEM'2013 presentation, David. I am sure others would like to see it as well; good luck on Saturday and thanks again for the G'MIC update.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, David, and good luck on Saturday!
Would love to see presentation set here as well.

My updated GMIC contains 447 filters. Before update I had 477.
Just curious, what filters were dropped and why.
Maybe after presentation you'll find some time to answer this.

Thanks again, David!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:01 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Most of the dropped filters are probably those for the blending modes. Now, they have been all merged into a single one 'Layers/Blend [standard]'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

That's right, David. I haven't gotten there yet! Cool, I like that!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Ronounours wrote:
2-ton wrote:

I don't know how this is working on Mac sorry. You should ask this question on the Flickr forum to Karo who is building the G'MIC packages for Mac.

Akros wrote:

I've just put new packages from Samj on the website for Win64 users. Maybe you could be concerned ?

Thanks not sure how to install though. Followed instructions saying to put the gmic-gimp in the plugin directory but I still only have 1.5.1.0. Can anybody help please, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

@Deblk Did you delete the old version first before you added the new one to your plug ins folder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Thanks, David, and good luck on Saturday!
Would love to see presentation set here as well.

My updated GMIC contains 447 filters. Before update I had 477.
Just curious, what filters were dropped and why.
Maybe after presentation you'll find some time to answer this.

Thanks again, David!

I updated yesterday and I now have 452 filters...go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Note that the 'Faves' filters are counted too. Maybe that explains the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
@Deblk Did you delete the old version first before you added the new one to your plug ins folder

I don't know where the old version is...Cannot see it in the plugins folders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

you have 2 plugin folders in gimp

one is in C: gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

the other, where shouild better be is in C : Users ("Users"for 7, for XP will be "Documents and Settings")
/Your_name/gimp/plugin

look in both, i prefer put all gmic with all its dll (with all what inside the zip) in a new subfolder inside
C : Users ("Users"for 7, for XP will be "Documents and Settings")
/Your_name/gimp/plugin and add the path in gimp Edit/preference :
Make much easier update without have to trace all the related Dll, that may have names totally unrelated to gmic

Of course you may found the same the other dll and files to replace , they have same name of those in the new version , just may take a bit longer .

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
you have 2 plugin folders in gimp

one is in C: gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

the other, where shouild better be is in C : Users ("Users"for 7, for XP will be "Documents and Settings")
/Your_name/gimp/plugin

look in both, i prefer put all gmic with all its dll (with all what inside the zip) in a new subfolder inside
C : Users ("Users"for 7, for XP will be "Documents and Settings")
/Your_name/gimp/plugin and add the path in gimp Edit/preference :
Make much easier update without have to trace all the related Dll, that may have names totally unrelated to gmic

Of course you may found the same the other dll and files to replace , they have same name of those in the new version , just may take a bit longer .

Thanks PhotoComix...found the folder and copied the contents over from the 2.8 Plugins. What do I do with the other 2 folders...Filters and Scriptfu? Do I have to copy them over as well?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

No , for the script fu folders it contain only a sort of template to create scripts that would call GMIC, so is mostly useful for script fu writers, as filter doesn't nothing useful because was just a example, as i said a sort of template

for the gmic-filters folders should be no need to install it :
it contain all the gimp definition files, let say all filters, but the same should be automatically downloaded when you launch gmic and "refresh filters".

May be useful with peculiar build of gimp , in case you need to revert as example in case a a update break a filter you was planning to use, and if you can't connect to internet

The place for this files changes with any OS , it is different for 7 and xp , and may even be modified in customized gimp version (in Samj and mine the folder goes just inside the main gimp folder , BUT this only for Samj and mine, are exceptions )but gmic handle automatically all the process when you refresh the filters , so you don't need to install that
(not even if you use Samj or my gimp version will be done automatically when refreshing gmic filter )

So shortly you may ignore both script and gmic filters folder

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:19 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

PhotoComix wrote:
No , for the script fu folders it contain only a sort of template to create scripts that would call GMIC, so is mostly useful for script fu writers, as filter doesn't nothing useful because was just a example, as i said a sort of template

for the gmic-filters folders should be no need to install it :
it contain all the gimp definition files, let say all filters, but the same should be automatically downloaded when you launch gmic and "refresh filters".

May be useful with peculiar build of gimp , in case you need to revert as example in case a a update break a filter you was planning to use, and if you can't connect to internet

The place for this files changes with any OS , it is different for 7 and xp , and may even be modified in customized gimp version (in Samj and mine the folder goes just inside the main gimp folder , BUT this only for Samj and mine, are exceptions )but gmic handle automatically all the process when you refresh the filters , so you don't need to install that
(not even if you use Samj or my gimp version will be done automatically when refreshing gmic filter )

So shortly you may ignore both script and gmic filters folder

Thanks again....Where do I find yours or SamJ version anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:18 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I believe Samj stops to create new builds , the last is still recent for gimp-2.8.2 at 32 or 64bit, it works also as portable but now even her site seems closed http://samjcreations.blogspot.it/

Mine last is described here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5113 and there is also the download links , in the same gimp new board you will see also a similar topic for a analogue 32 bit version

I intend to update shortly, but i would not risk to give a exact date, let say that i should already have done a week ago and is now first on my to do schedule (and my local copy works well, actually the delay is mostly caused by the need to include documentations , full list of changes and credits.

I hate have to do it , but i hate even more documentation and credit still missing so one of this days i will force myself to solve it...for the rest NEXT 64bit version is ready from days, and for the 32bit there only to update gmic to this last version. ...remain the main obstacle to finish and publish all the doc credits , lists of changes, ...i am working now to a short video presentation

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:11 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

PS
Deblk wrote:
...Where do I find yours or SamJ version anyway?

i already answered for mine, as i said seems that Samj stop to make new gimp builds but the most recent is still recent and is discussed here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5033 ,

Not sure if the download link there is still active, the Samj site is closed but maybe the download link still active

And in any case if you post here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5033 , Samj that is visiting often GC may notice and have more details

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Samj didn't retire from building Windows packages for the G'MIC project.
Well, officially she did..
But after each release, she always write me e-mail and send me a link to the latest compiled version for Win32/64. I usually put these packages on the G'MIC web site as soon as I can.
I'm very grateful to her for continuing this packaging work !