It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: resizing all images
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

i started creating images at 640 x 400

when I realized I would add video at 1920 x 1080, i knew I had to resize my images.

I'm a beginner, so I finally figured I could resize the images by increasing the canvas size, locking all images with the anchor and then resizing the image to match the canvass size (each image was a progression of the one before it, so I needed them all to be in sync)

I had originally tried to bring each image into gimp to resize...that didn't work, part of the image would disappear.

for the future, does any have any suggestions on any other ways to accomplish what I'd done? Or any suggestions?

Also is there a listing of keyboard commands that I can print out.

You all have been great and I so appreciate your help!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: resizing all images
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I'd say use XNview's batch resize feature (XNview is a nice free app for managing images without launching the big gimp).
But be careful with upscalign in general, upscaling means loosing quality, the best possible way is to use already large images and downscale if required (also check the interpolation settings, lanczos/sinc is usually a good choice).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

pookie wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: XP - SP3
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

i started creating images at 640 x 400

when I realized I would add video at 1920 x 1080, i knew I had to resize my images.

I'm a beginner, so I finally figured I could resize the images by increasing the canvas size, locking all images with the anchor and then resizing the image to match the canvass size (each image was a progression of the one before it, so I needed them all to be in sync)

I had originally tried to bring each image into gimp to resize...that didn't work, part of the image would disappear.

for the future, does any have any suggestions on any other ways to accomplish what I'd done? Or any suggestions?

Also is there a listing of keyboard commands that I can print out.

You all have been great and I so appreciate your help!

To resize a single image in Gimp: "Image/Scale image".

For the rest, see Anarkhya's answers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

thank you both!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

pookie wrote:
this is a little beyond me. XNview...is, I am assuming, not a part of gimp? Would you have a link?
anarkhya, I really am a true novice at this. I would so appreciate if you would further explain what you mean by the following. Are you talking about interpolation settings on gimp?

I'm making your private message public, I'm sure you don't mind, I'm doing it simply because it can be useful to others ;)

XNview official site: http://www.xnview.com/en/index.html
To do a batch resize in XNview, open one of the images you want to resize then... I prepared an image to explain: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29939154/xnview ... resize.jpg
For interpolation settings, I'm talking about those located at http://docs.gimp.org/en/images/tutorial ... dialog.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

Since this discussion involves the batch re-size of images, imagemagick should be mentioned, as well.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/mogrify.php

This simple command will re-size all .png images in a folder to a width of 640px (maintaining the aspect ratio)

mogrify -resize 640 *.png

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hope you both see this! thanks so much....!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

@Pookie:
Giving you some hints to understand how this forum (and others) are built. Actually, when you reply to a topic, be it with 'quick reply' or 'post reply' ('post reply' does the same as 'quick reply' it just gives you more options, you know, bold text, colors, smileys these stuffs), your answer is visible for everyone, everyone sees it and everyone is able to answer it, if you want to talk to a specific person (while in a topic), just put this @xyz thing I'm putting on top of my post or you may use the quote button to structure your answers and adress the ideas one by one. That's also the reason why most forums don't allow off-topic in general sections and don't allow double-posting, because it makes the topics difficult to read.

Private Messages (PM) are mostly used when you want some discussion only with one specific fellow on a not so public interest topic, or hiding secrets ;)

Now for XNview, I believe you need the first package of the list, it's the full app', bigger than you need, but I'm afraid you'll be lost if you download other specific packages.

Note: No one here was born with these forum rules, so don't bother, just take note (:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@Anarkhya Thanks for the feedback! on both topics.... :)

Thanks to everyone who is so helpful!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm  (#10) 

Is it possible to size an image so it can be printed out to specific measurements. Say 120mm x 90mm?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

u5 er wrote:
Is it possible to size an image so it can be printed out to specific measurements. Say 120mm x 90mm?

Scale Image> change px to mm
Image>Print size (mm)