It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GIMP vs Photoshop (yeah, one more time)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm  (#21) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
dd wrote:
K1TesseraEna wrote:
Whether we want it or not, PS has become the industry standard among professionals.

I wish people would stop saying that. The more people say that, the more people believe it's true...

If it's not true then what are the industry standards?
Maybe I missed something and pdf and psd are obsolete file formats these days?
Higher bit precision is not in need by the pro photographers anymore?
Non-destructive image editing is the wrong path taken?
The ability to operate in CMYK color space is a redundancy?
Vector graphics integration to raster editors is nothing but fancy extravagance?
Enlighten me.

Well, pdf is getting obsolete, when more and more corporations/people acknowledge the advantages of open-source tools and open formats. LibreOffice is getting hugely popular, and odf is gaining in popularity. As for psd, yes maybe some/most of the "industry" demands it, but GIMP & Krita can already save psd files.
Higher bit precision is already available in GIMP 2.9 and has been available in Krita for ages.
Non-destructive editing will come eventually and I don't see it as a crucial thing for most purposes. For that matter, it largely already exists in Krita - it has clone layers, filter layers, group masks, and masks can also be used for clone and filter layers - in a way it's more advanced than photoshop's layer styles since you can use any filter as a dynamic filter layer, not just a few built-in ones.
Krita supports CMYK (and YCbCr) color spaces.
Krita also supports vector layers.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Are you using Krita and if you are what do you think of it?

I use Krita for all my drawing/painting, it's simply in its own league when it comes to that. That said, it's mostly focused on drawing/painting and content creation, and it needs a tablet to even be usable at all. For generic image manipulation, photo editing and such, GIMP is still a better choice. Also GIMP has a much more extensive plugin/script library (partially because Krita is way less known than it deserves). Still, Krita has some features that are lightyears ahead of GIMP, such as the ones I already mentioned, and many more (like GPU rendering). The brush engines are simply amazing - they're simply the best there is, period, there's no contender even in proprietary drawing/painting software.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

>>Well, pdf is getting obsolete, when more and more corporations/people acknowledge the advantages of open-source tools and open formats.
>>LibreOffice is getting hugely popular, and odf is gaining in popularity. As for psd, yes maybe some/most of the "industry" demands it,
>>but GIMP & Krita can already save psd files.

Many PSD file features are not transferable to GIMP, we can't speak of full PSD support, much less of commercial use in GIMP with output psd format. Open Source formats might have gained some popularity but PDF still remains standard for the majority of industry leaders.

>>Higher bit precision is already available in GIMP 2.9 and has been available in Krita for ages.

This is an overstatement. GIMP 2.9 is not recommended for production by the devs, not to mention the fact that it is extremely slow and crashes on large images. Krita has not been around long enough to speak of ages.

>>Non-destructive editing will come eventually and I don't see it as a crucial thing for most purposes.
>>For that matter, it largely already exists in Krita - it has clone layers, filter layers, group masks, and masks can also be used for clone and
>> filter layers - in a way it's more advanced than photoshop's layer styles >>since you can use any filter as a dynamic filter layer,
>>not just a few built-in ones.
>>Krita supports CMYK (and YCbCr) color spaces.
>>Krita also supports vector layers.

GIMP, Inkscape and Krita operate in RGB color space only. Yes they can convert to CMYK (Separate+ plugin for GIMP) but users run into problem when they lose original colors during conversion.

I wouldn't bring up Krita as an argument at all. First of all, it has not yet gained popularity. And it's not going to happen soon as long as the majority of computer users are on Windows and Mac (80-85% for PC and 90-95% for corporations combined). Krita is pretty much unusable on Windows (trust me, I tried it) and there is no Mac version. All that keeps Krita constrained to Linux users which are no more than 20% right now. I wouldn't speak of Krita as a market trendsetter

>>I use Krita for all my drawing/painting, it's simply in its own league when it comes to that. That said, it's mostly focused on drawing/painting
>>and content creation, and it needs a tablet to even be usable at all. For generic image manipulation, photo editing and such,
>>GIMP is still a better choice. Also GIMP has a much more extensive plugin/script library (partially because Krita is way less known than it deserves).
>>Still, Krita has some features that are lightyears ahead of GIMP, such as the ones I already mentioned, and many more (like GPU rendering).
>>The brush engines are simply amazing - they're simply the best there is, period, there's no contender even in proprietary drawing/painting software.

OpenCL is going to be used with GEGL for GPU rendering in GIMP in later releases of GIMP 2.10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:49 pm  (#23) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Many PSD file features are not transferable to GIMP, we can't speak of full PSD support, much less of commercial use in GIMP with output psd format.

As far as I know, many commercial outfits only require work to be submitted in PSD, they don't care if they are editable or not, and in many cases it's ok to just submit your work as a flattened single-layer PSD image. This can more than easily be done with both GIMP and Krita. And PSD support for both is improving constantly.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
This is an overstatement. GIMP 2.9 is not recommended for production by the devs, not to mention the fact that it is extremely slow and crashes on large images. Krita has not been around long enough to speak of ages.

Krita development started in 1999, and higher bit depth support was introduced in version 1.5 (current is 2.6).

K1TesseraEna wrote:
GIMP, Inkscape and Krita operate in RGB color space only.

False. Krita operates in CMYK natively. It also natively supports YCbCr, LAB, XYZ and grayscale colour spaces. And each of them optionally in higher bit depths (8bit, 16bit and 32bit float).

I just went and created a new 16bit CMYK image in Krita. (Doesn't work too smoothly on my ancient hardware but the latest Photoshop probably won't even run on it, so...)

K1TesseraEna wrote:
I wouldn't bring up Krita as an argument at all. First of all, it has not yet gained popularity.

Lots of crappy things are popular. Lots of great things are unpopular.

My point is simply that as long as we keep taking for granted that "Photoshop is the industry standard" and repeating it, it's going to stay in the collective minds of people as a "truth". When the fact is there are alternatives that people can use. In most cases, there's no need for photoshop - 90% of all tasks can be done with open source alternatives, the tasks that require Photoshop or other proprietary software are becoming less and less.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
And it's not going to happen soon as long as the majority of computer users are on Windows and Mac (80-85% for PC and 90-95% for corporations combined). Krita is pretty much unusable on Windows

Meh, that could easily change in the future, all microsoft has to do is stick to windows 8 and refuse to extend the life of windows 7...

K1TesseraEna wrote:
OpenCL is going to be used with GEGL for GPU rendering in GIMP in later releases of GIMP 2.10

Possibly, if they get it working by then - I wouldn't take GIMP devs' roadmaps as 100% canon. I mean, I love the work they do but come on. The point is, Krita has it now... there's just so much stuff in Krita that GIMP is only beginning to implement. I love both softwares and they're both great for what they're meant for, but in some areas Krita is simply way ahead of GIMP.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Krita is pretty much unusable on Windows (trust me, I tried it)

When did you try it? They've improved on windows compatibility recently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:26 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Lots of crappy things are popular. Lots of great things are unpopular.
My point is simply that as long as we keep taking for granted that "Photoshop is the industry standard" and repeating it, it's going to stay in the collective minds of people as a "truth".

I just can't disagree with this, and I've tried.
It happens all the time in everyday life, there's always this thing you thought was a fact, but it was only an opinion, the moment you press pause and think about that thing, you realize that you've been under influence of a viral opinion, viral enough to make it become objective.

Now, all we need would be to bring back some stats about the pro graphic sphere, who wants to spy and report intel to us ? ;)