It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting strange transparent diagonals in background [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Linux Fedora 17
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

This is something that just started. When I have a transparent layer, it really isn't transparent. When I take a screen shot, it shows that it is a gray layer.
I took a screen shot of my right click menu and Zoomed it quite large, and you can see the diagonal lines through the little images. Could anyone tell me how to fix this.
Also to see this, if you open the snap.jpg in Gimp, you will see that you can't go alpha to selection but if you use the color selecter wand, it will show all the gray squares.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Getting strange transparent diagonals in background
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:44 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

A screen shot includes the whole canvas, not just the non-transparent area, so the transparent grid becomes visible pixels.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Then why is this just starting to happen today. I have been doing screen shots forever and it worked okay yesterday while I was working on the tute. I have never ended up with gray backgrounds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 pm  (#4) 
Retired Staff

molly wrote:
Then why is this just starting to happen today. I have been doing screen shots forever and it worked okay yesterday while I was working on the tute. I have never ended up with gray backgrounds.
Very likely because you had a white background layer. What a screen shot and you see is what it snaps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.2
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Linux Fedora 17
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

This is something that just started. When I have a transparent layer, it really isn't transparent. When I take a screen shot, it shows that it is a gray layer.
I took a screen shot of my right click menu and Zoomed it quite large, and you can see the diagonal lines through the little images. Could anyone tell me how to fix this.
Also to see this, if you open the snap.jpg in Gimp, you will see that you can't go alpha to selection but if you use the color selecter wand, it will show all the gray squares.

@molly

It's not easy to tell what the issue is form your screenshots. I've never had this happen with my Gimp.
If I create an 'alpha channel'... It's always there. If the background was white and I clear it, it is transparent.
I believe we need more information about this issue your having, to be able to see what's going on.
Also what's a 'snap.jpg'? Is it an image of a 'snap' or button like thing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:02 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

That was a snapshot of an image. I just named it snap. My problem is when I do a snapshot of an image on a transparent layer, the shot ends up to be not transparent, even though it looks like it is.

He is an example what I mean. Take this snapshot I took and open it in gimp. Then go alpha to selection. You won't get a selection because it isn't transparent. Now put a white background behind it and you won't see the white background unless you turn off the snap shot layer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:23 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
That was a snapshot of an image. I just named it snap. My problem is when I do a snapshot of an image on a transparent layer, the shot ends up to be not transparent, even though it looks like it is.

He is an example what I mean. Take this snapshot I took and open it in gimp. Then go alpha to selection. You won't get a selection because it isn't transparent. Now put a white background behind it and you won't see the white background unless you turn off the snap shot layer.

@molly,

I think I understand and there isn't anything wrong.

If I take a 'screenshot' of something that is open in my Gimp that has a transparent background ie. 'alpha channel'. My computer and any other computer will take a 'screenshot' of what is seen on the screen. This 'screenshot' will not preserve the 'alpha' channel' of any image taken as a 'screenshot', it will not have an 'alpha channel'.
If I then open a 'screenshot' that was taken of an image within Gimp, it will appear as though it has an 'alpha channel', but it does not.

In short... 'Screenshot' images do not preserve transparency. Even if the 'screenshot' was taken of an image that has a transparent background.

This was certainly confusing to me. Mostly because I've never encountered this kind of 'none-issue' before, because there's really nothing wrong in the first place. :hehe

If you say that you "were" taking 'screenshots' that preserved transparency then sorry, but you are mistaken, because of the reasons stated above.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:33 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Well, I guess there is not much more I can say on this issue. I was sure that I have been taking screen shots all along both with alpha channel and non alpha. I must have been mistaken. Maybe the reason I have never noticed it before because my GIMP crashes every time I use Export so that is why I have been counting on screen shots instead of crashing every time.
Anyway, thank you very much everyone for clarifying this for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
Well, I guess there is not much more I can say on this issue. I was sure that I have been taking screen shots all along both with alpha channel and non alpha. I must have been mistaken. Maybe the reason I have never noticed it before because my GIMP crashes every time I use Export so that is why I have been counting on screen shots instead of crashing every time.
Anyway, thank you very much everyone for clarifying this for me.

I think you through us all for a loop with this one. :hehe
It was an odd one to say the least, not that your odd or anything. Only that it really had me scratching my head to trying and figure out what was going on.

It made me feel like a bona fide Gimp detective. ;)

Keep em coming Molly. :bigthup

Post subject: Re: Getting strange transparent diagonals in background [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I believe that this 'non-issue' comes from the fact that you have 2 ways to 'copy' an image, screenshot or CTRL-C and I think the CTRL-C preserve image's alpha where screenshot flattens image.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

thank you anarkhya. I guess calling this a non-issue works fine for some people but it was an issue for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

yes, well, I admit 'non-bug' would fit more in the context.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

molly wrote:
thank you anarkhya. I guess calling this a non-issue works fine for some people but it was an issue for me.

@molly,

Sorry... :(

I hope my use of verbiage can be forgiven. :hugme