It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIMP feature wishlist
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 pm  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

Gino D wrote:
One of the most interesting features that I wish were implemented in the future is the ability to reset each filter separately (since at present the only possibility is to reset them all together), by means for example of a special button placed on the relevant filter's dialog box, as it already happens for the Script-Fu scripts and the plugins written in Python actually.

Also, I think it would be worth allowing some important dialog windows, such as the Script-Fu and Python-Fu consoles, to be optionally made dockable (namely perfectly integrated in the Single Window Mode), or at least causing them to be always on top. In my opinion, this characteristic would certainly make the life easier for the scripters, when they wish to test interactively any procedure or code snippet involving open images without the bother of handling windows that overlap each other.

:ditto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

I agree with you Rod! GIMP is a great tool and has everything I need as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:28 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

akky wrote:
I agree with you Rod! GIMP is a great tool and has everything I need as far as I know.

GIMP has become a great tool due to 16 years of continuous development and adding new features demanded by
both modern CG trends and gimp end users. Otherwise we would have still had version 0.54, or more likely we wouldn't have GIMP at all.

Post subject: ~
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

~

Attachments:
File comment: fuzzy select gimpainter 2.6.7
fuzzy select.jpg
fuzzy select.jpg [ 68.56 KiB | Viewed 1237 times ]

Last edited by Zeo on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:37 am  (#45) 
Script Coder

Gino D wrote:
Also, I think it would be worth allowing some important dialog windows, such as the Script-Fu and Python-Fu consoles, to be optionally made dockable (namely perfectly integrated in the Single Window Mode), or at least causing them to be always on top. In my opinion, this characteristic would certainly make the life easier for the scripters, when they wish to test interactively any procedure or code snippet involving open images without the bother of handling windows that overlap each other.

Hmm. Docked dialogs are tall and narrow. The consoles need to be wide but don't need to be tall.

Me, I don't bother with overlapping windows either: the python-fu console (and the plug-in browser) are open in another desktop, so I just switch desktops (Ctrl-F1/Ctrl-F2) to switch views (code/results).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:00 am  (#46) 
Script Coder

Zeo wrote:
Errr... I know one useful function, but I don't understand why people don't ask it... :(

Look: (at the attachment, I'm not sure where it'll be posted since I'm not used in this forum)

That tools is avaible at Gimpainter 2.6.7 and I always use it. Very useful.

Basically it is just fuzzy select, but there is an "grow expanding" option. (by pixel)
It's similiar with fuzzy select, then Select>Grow, but I must doing several steps by doing that. By using this modified fuzzy tools, everything much faster.
In Gimpainter 2.8, this feature even doesn't exist anymore. :(

Krita has this feature.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

I wouldn't recommend Krita if you are using Windows. If my experience is anything to go by it won't even create a new project and then takes forever to close down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:16 pm  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

i have a long wishlist, but most of the points on it have been mentioned already. the funny thing is that i've already mentioned my only remaining big wish in another thread here, about ten minutes ago: a scroll image tool that wraps the edges. s'tiles, an old freeware program that i used to make seamless patterns in has that kind of tool and it makes it so easy to produce seamless patterns and textures - you just scroll the image til you see the seams, edit them away and scroll back if you want to - no need to go into a menu and get up an offset dialogue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 pm  (#49) 
Script Coder

ofnuts wrote:
Hmm. Docked dialogs are tall and narrow. The consoles need to be wide but don't need to be tall.

When I hinted at the possibility of making the consoles dockable, I did not mean to exactly say that they should become dockable dialogs such as those currently provided in GIMP, since I too believe that this solution would not be comfortable. More than anything, what I would like to see available in GIMP is a configuration similar to the one currently provided for instance by Blender, where the Python console shows up as a tile inside the main program interface rather than as an individual floating window:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fe5mgWl0sf4/T ... rogram.png

In my opinion, such a feature could be feasible and useful in GIMP too.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm  (#50) 
Retired Staff

One of my chief annoyances, is and has been, when engaging the Move tool, Pick a Layer or Guide is the default mode.

I would like it better if, Move the Active Layer, is default. It usually catches me up when I use the Move tool.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:09 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
One of my chief annoyances, is and has been, when engaging the Move tool, Pick a Layer or Guide is the default mode.

I would like it better if, Move the Active Layer, is default. It usually catches me up when I use the Move tool.

Isn't it configurable, O?
Edit>Preferences>Tool Options >Move Tool>Set Layer or Path as active

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm  (#52) 
Retired Staff

K1TesseraEna wrote:
Isn't it configurable, O?
Edit>Preferences>Tool Options >Move Tool>Set Layer or Path as active
Well duhhhhhhh. It took several tries, and clicking in the right places to do it, but now it comes up right for me. Thanks kite! :mrgreen:

I sure wasted a lot of cussing about that one. :hehe

Later entry: A coincidence but a kind of funny one. I just updated Fedora and there several .lib files named ncurses.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:19 pm  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

A new wish from my side:
the possibility to rate (from 1 to 5 stars as in other - almost all - image processing packages) and to add tags into the exif data.
In general, also the possibility to have more interaction with the hosting file manager for instance the capability to delete an image file.
As you may easily assume, I use Gimp for processing pictures....
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:32 pm  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to be able to dock the toolbox as a tabbed area in my layers pallet.
So i can have one dockable dialog window open with everything i need in it.
As far as i know you have to have 3 panes within single window mode though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 pm  (#55) 
GimpChat Member

I know we're not supposed to reference Gimp 2.10 features...but I will say the downscaling algorythm in Gimp 2.8 and under compared to photoshop did produce inferior results and was a major issues with me. I'm really looking forward to the new scaling algos coming with 2.10 :)

Love the earlier referenced idea of putting the grow (and even shrink) options as a slider for the selection options.

I know photoshop is really excited about their new-deblur algo. There are gimp plugins that dabble with this, but they are out-of-date and we really need something integrated into main install.

IMO what gimp needs to work on the most is their selection options.

The design of the basic gimp selection tools imply almost a one click process, when in reality selection is a multi-stage process and selection tools should reflect this. eg You need magic wand/select by color options to controll a minimum and maxim selection areas (radius of say 10px to 50px). This allows you to select the body...then at a smaller radius the hands...then at a smaller radius the fingers...etc. You can then remove selections the same way. So imagine filling a car with balls. Your fill space would be everywhere a ball would fit of that size (size of your magic wand). If you want to get down under the car seat, then you would have to decrease your ball size. This is very important for selecting man-made objects that don't need random selection distributions.

There has to be a contiguos selection blob option and remove holes option.

Put another way...gimp needs photoshop's quick selection tool! Youtube this if you don't know how it works.

There also needs to be a better mechanic for selecting fine/complex material (hair/branches/etc). PS does a much better job on this front.

In fact, I would love to see selection templates...where you had selection algos that are specifically custom tailored for certain types of common objects. eg a "hair select tool". Or a "sky select"..."tree select", "cloud select", "face/body/skin select". Maybe a nature select vs manmade. So a sidewalk and car with their artificial simplicty might be selected while grass and trees are not...or vice versa.

Would love to be able to grow/shrink selections but for just some parts. So the lamp pole going into the sky might need X feathing...while brush backlit against the sky might need another.

There needs to be more threshold options too. I look at a picture and can definitely see the edge...so if I can see it an algo should too...and I should be able to quickly dial through my threshold options to find that "glove that fits".

Need more text manipulation items. I know you can do some of this in round-about fashion, but it would be nice in the text editor if you could stretch fonts, fatten them, give them simple 3d and other effects right from the text options.

Lastly, I would love to see the shortcut system revamped for "grid layout". Starcraft players know what I'm talking about. So basically instead of memorizing oodles of shortcuts...you display the icons like a keyboard. So third down first over would be a. Forth down second over would be x. You can then rearrange your favorite tools over this virtual keyboard and that's the order you'll see in the toolbox. The benifit is that a lot of are right handed, so can put a lot of our favorite shorts on the left side of the keyboard to we can keep our hands on the mouse. Yet because the icons correspond with the grid of the keyboard (see Starcraft!), then it is super easy to learn and use complicated key/tool assocations.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:43 am  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

Alongside GIMP I'm actively using 5 other graphics applications (raster-, vector-based and 3D).
All of them have the ability to snap with some exceptions to the grid, paths, nodes, canvas, vertises, etc.
I'm soooo used to it now that it sorta throws me off until i realize that i'm using GIMP.

It would really be nice to have that feature to speed up the workflow.
Namely, the ability to snap a selection to canvas edges, grid, guides, anchor points, paths.
The same for the layers, paths, text.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 am  (#57) 
Retired Staff

Perhaps I'm missing something here but snap to guides, grid, canvas edges and active path are available in the View menu. I successfully moved a selection around, snapping it to various elements - also with a path.

I don't know if there's a way to make those settings permanent in Prefs or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:45 am  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something here but snap to guides, grid, canvas edges and active path are available in the View menu. I successfully moved a selection around, snapping it to various elements - also with a path.

I don't know if there's a way to make those settings permanent in Prefs or not.

It is configurable from the View menu, but not in Preferences.
It is so unreliable and buggy (especially snapping to active path and nodes and snapping while using transform tools)
I wouldn't call it a real feature. No snapping distance/sensitivity control.
Who used Inkscape, Blender or A$$be products know what I mean.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 am  (#59) 
GimpChat Member

an additional small (and maybe already available using some trick I don't use) wish:
- to have the "history" automatically cleaned from the invalid links to images no more existing or moved away...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:47 am  (#60) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
an additional small (and maybe already available using some trick I don't use) wish:
- to have the "history" automatically cleaned from the invalid links to images no more existing or moved away...

Could be worth filing a bug for that...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next