It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:23 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:00 am  (#21) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14217
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
Cool but that seems like an odd size, 640 x 480 looks fine, I think. I am not up on these things, I have always been a point and shoot person.

That's just an example of a good size image for emailing. It doesn't need to be that exact size. Just somewhere close to that size.
The Save For Web plugin also does compression of the image data, making it much smaller in file weight, as well as size.
It can take say a 500kb photo and knock it down to 30kb.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 am  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
When you want to send your pictures in to get developed, shouldn't they go by a certain size so they don't have to crop them. I know a lot of times I have changed the size of pics by just guessing and I had to let them crop in order for them to fit the standard sizes. I guess what I am saying is that I should have a list of standard sizes that I can resize to so I don't lose any of the pic when processing it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am  (#23) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14217
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
When you want to send your pictures in to get developed, shouldn't they go by a certain size so they don't have to crop them. I know a lot of times I have changed the size of pics by just guessing and I had to let them crop in order for them to fit the standard sizes. I guess what I am saying is that I should have a list of standard sizes that I can resize to so I don't lose any of the pic when processing it.

I don't know a lot about how photos taken form cameras work, when being developed.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:26 am  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Big mystery to me to.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:20 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thank you very much for the help guys. Everything is working now and I have it set in the S mode which gives my pictures a smaller image which are the correct size for emails.
The reason I couldn't get there Saul was because of a few of my other settings were screwed up and I couldn't get down to the L. I called Canon Canada and the very patient gentleman walked me right through the steps and was very good with his instructions.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:18 pm  (#26) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14217
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
molly wrote:
Thank you very much for the help guys.
Everything is working now and I have it set in the S mode which gives my pictures a smaller image which are the correct size for emails.
The reason I couldn't get there Saul was because of a few of my other settings were screwed up and I couldn't get down to the L.
I called Canon Canada and the very patient gentleman walked me right through the steps and was very good with his instructions.

Image

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:39 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
molly wrote:
Thank you david I got it but I am waiting to find out how to compile it for Fedora. I think the instructions on it is for another version of Linux

Okay, I downloaded the save to web script to my windows version 10 on my other drive. I can now see it under File - Save for Web. This is what happens when I open this same picture.
How do I change the size for it to be the correct size for emails?
[ Image ]
Check Fedora (Add/Remove Software) PackageKit for 'gimp-plugin-registry'.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Need help with my Canon camera[SOLVED] Thanks guys
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
The only one I can find for Linux needs to be compiled and I don't know how to do that. I download it but it is like Greek to me.

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group