It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:43 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Gmic 4.0.5 not showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:08 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Oct 03, 2026
Posts: 3
Though I see this has been solved, however I have just started to have this problem, I am a Linux Mint user.

This problem only started today however uninstalling GIMP 3.2.6 (Flatpak) didnt help etc.

please let me know if I need to make a new topic for this,

Kind regards.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gmic 4.0.5 mot showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:08 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14230
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Wilcocliw wrote:
Though I see this has been solved,
however I have just started to have this problem, I am a Linux Mint user.

This problem only started today however uninstalling GIMP 3.2.6 (Flatpak) didnt help etc.

please let me know if I need to make a new topic for this,

Kind regards.

Welcome to Gimp Chat!
:jumpclap :clap :jumpclap
Glad to have you here.




I'm afraid I can't be much help with the Linux Mint/Flatpak side of this,
as I'm more familiar with the Windows setup.

Since G'MIC was working for you before and has now disappeared from the Filters menu,
hopefully one of our Linux users will be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm sure someone here has run into this before.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gmic 4.0.5 not showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:41 am  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16194
The only stable versions for Linux are...

Ubuntu 26.04 Resolute: stable (or latest dev)
Debian 13 Trixie: stable (or latest dev)

Welcome to Gimp Chat btw! :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gmic 4.0.5 not showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:47 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 11, 2024
Posts: 315
If you want to keep GIMP as a flatpak you have to install GMIC as a flatpak as well.
Open a terminal and paste this in
flatpak install org.gimp.GIMP.Plugin.GMic

It'll then tell you that there are three versions, which one you want. Choose branch 3.

Alternatively you can use GIMP from PPA form Panda Jim:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... ntu/gimp-3
Then you can use a "normal" GMIC version.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gmic 4.0.5 not showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:31 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2616
quietreader wrote:
......snip......
Alternatively you can use GIMP from PPA form Panda Jim:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/ ... ntu/gimp-3
Then you can use a "normal" GMIC version.


That is only true, if your base linux is 'buntu 26.4 If using a 'buntu 24.04 (or a Mint 22.3) and PPA, you need one compiled for that base.

Not difficult to compile but I do keep a binary here. https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp3 ... 3#pid47023 bottom of that post a gimp_gmic_qt 4.0.4 ( I do have a 4.0.5 but very lazy and have not updated the archive, will do it soon)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gmic 4.0.5 not showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:09 am  (#6) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Oct 03, 2026
Posts: 3
Thanks for the kind words and welcomes,

so originally I had it installed via flatpak and that worked fine untill yesterday (3rd of octobre 2026).
I use Linux Mint 22.3 - Cinnamon 64-bit.

I have tried to unpack in the plugins folder under .config however that didnt do anything at all.
I also have tried the PPA method however Gmic still wasnt showing up

Weird thing is, is that resynth and the Healing plugin work fine and they show up under the filters tab.
Only weird thing is that they (before unpacking into ~/.config/GIMP/3.2/plug-ins/) also didnt show up in that folder.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gmic 4.0.5 not showing under filter. Using GIMP 3.2.6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 7:09 am  (#7) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Oct 03, 2026
Posts: 3
Okay, update:

I installed the system package version next to the flatpak and now Gmic (as well as the other plugins) do show up when I use the System package version of GIMP.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group