It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:07 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:49 pm  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Not that just looks too cool, Gramp. Really does look real. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Dane-ish Co., West Gonsin
@lylejk

Yoicks!

I forgot where I was! :oops: ...rubbin elbows in here with folks who can make an image every bit MORE REAL than that one!

Oblig. Disclaimer: For my part, _I_ had to resort to actually MAKING a real one. (That's a picture of a real objek.)

_________________
--
GraMP
"Once you sit on your glasses, the rest of getting old seems obvious."


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:30 pm  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Wow; you have talent then. lol

You created an object file than milled it, or did you eyeball the result? Still, fantastic result Gramp. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:43 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Dane-ish Co., West Gonsin
lylejk wrote:
You created an object file than milled it, or did you eyeball the result? Still, fantastic result Gramp. :)


Eyeballed it? With my broken glasses??

No, I milled it. From the real lunar data--which I only had to run, hands-held all the way!, through my favorite Astrophysical-GeoGRAPHICal processor package: the GIMP w/G'MIC!

Yes, [edit: he finally gets around to admitting...] I milled it on a home-made machine--which proved way less accurate in life than on paper--and let IT eyeball it. :^)

Thanks, Lyle, but not nearly as Gosh! as the stuff you routinely offer for general astoundment.

_________________
--
GraMP
"Once you sit on your glasses, the rest of getting old seems obvious."


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:19 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Dane-ish Co., West Gonsin
An update from 2019 (back because I'm looking for a similar way to process a flat projection of the earth into curvilinear "squares").

After I had cut the thing out, I gave it to a friend who works in the "Spaces Sciences" building at UW-Madison, with half a hope that it would catch some astronomer's eye.

Well. It did, and quite quickly.

Here's the Deeply Mortifying secret behind all my "genius":
My friend reported that an astronomer who had stopped at his IT helpdesk picked it up and said, "INTERESTING!"

My chest was swelling, until he went on to say that the astronomer said, "Usually, you see views of the moon as either the visible or the dark side; I've never seen anyone do the LEFT side and RIGHT sides before."

:embarrased:

In my obsession with "the Data", I had assumed that the FRONT side of the moon was in the MIDDLE of the image, but it happened that it was on either the LHS or the RHS, so when I cut out the center, I actually cut out a "side"...

Wow. It's even more unique than I thought (from the Latin "unus" meaning "one" and "equus" meaning "horse.")

_________________
--
GraMP
"Once you sit on your glasses, the rest of getting old seems obvious."


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 10, 2018
Posts: 191
Location: Charlottesville Virginia
gramp, it's a rare opportunity in the world to laugh out loud at a mathematics story, but this one is perfect. Thanks for sharing it.

Let me hasten to add I do not understand the math itself that you and the other contributors provided, but I do understand getting tripped up by what's usually a "gift" of being able to bring high focus and attention to detail to a project. It's never easy finding you've become -- even if only a for a moment -- a horse's unus.


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Dane-ish Co., West Gonsin
Thanks, neurolurker.

Esp. for rearranging the words to make more picturesque what I have become! If only for a moment. ;^)

_________________
--
GraMP
"Once you sit on your glasses, the rest of getting old seems obvious."


Top
 Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] I want to do an inv. lunar cyl. transform with G'MIC.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2011
Posts: 287
Location: Dane-ish Co., West Gonsin
It's Nutty how long it took me to find the link to the G'MIC Reference Manual--given that it's actually in a straightforward place, but "I Relied On Web Searching." which I could see as one of the front-runners for my epitaph...

Anyway, it's right there on the G'MIC home page:
http://gmic.eu

under the "Resources" top-menu button, where the link is named:
G'MIC Technical Reference

which takes you to the 460 pages of A Little Bit of Heaven:
https://gmic.eu/reference.shtml

Once there, you can find out stuff like: "How to program an 'if()' in Cartesian Transform" and stufflikethatthere.


EDIT: WHOOPS! NO you can't! The word "Cartesian" is not found in the manual for what I can only guess are quixotic reasons.

_________________
--
GraMP
"Once you sit on your glasses, the rest of getting old seems obvious."


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group