It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:03 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:09 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
GIMP Version: 2.8.22
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 64 bit
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
G'MIC



I have been trying to update G'MIC on my windows 10 64-bit machine for several weeks. When I tried and do it through the G'MIC plugin in my Gimp program, the link leads to a 404 error page. When I use the web address, I am able to download the update file.

A few weeks ago when I ran the update exe file it froze my system. I was able to recover after a few minutes.

I just tried again. I again got the 404 message when clicking the link in G'MIC in Gimp. I went to the website using the first part of the link in my G'MIC in gimp- http://gmic.eu/ . I went to the downloads page, and downloaded the version for windows 64-bit. When I run the setup it seems to work correctly. When I try to open gimp, I get the following error-" the procedure entry point pthread_setname_np could not be located in the dynamic link library." Under that "C:\Users\grits\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins\libglib-2.0-0.dll."

I get that twice, then Gimp opens. I then try and open G'MIC. I get that same error message.Then I get an error that the "Plug-in crashed: "gmic_gimp.exe"" and I may want to save and restart Gimp.

I did look at the gimp download site beforehand and my version number matched the latest there.

Edit- After posting this I did reinstall to the latest stable version of gimp from gimp.org. It didn't change anything.

Edit2: There is a version of the libglib-2.0-0.dll file in my plugins folder, dated 10/13/2016.

Thanks for any help.

_________________
Image


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:07 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8477
Location: On the other side of your screen
Have you got the latest QT version. You will need that to be able to update.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:44 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
What is a QT version?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:46 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
This is what I installed- gmic_gimp_qt_win64

I picked: G'MIC plug-in for GIMP (2.8+), Windows 64 bits: installer

I clicked Latest stable version: 2.02 (above that text) beforehand.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Thank you

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Try uninstalling G'MIC, then download the zip file and create a directory in your user GIMP folder, then use GIMP's interface to add a path to the G'MIC plugin. I don't like or trust installers and always use alternative ways if given them and this is both the original way to install G'MIC and my preferred way to do so. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
Problem solved. When I went in to remove the recently installed G'MIC, I found an older version was also installed. (I thought I had removed it.) I removed both versions, and since I wasn't 100% sure how to do the manual install, I took a chance and did the usual install. It's working now, thanks to you both!

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Glad you got the problem solved. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Update G'Mic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
This is good to know. I have 3 versions of G'Mic and, although I haven't gotten an error msg, I don't think it has ever actually updated.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group