It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:57 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
so far, I have not had any issues with mcgimp 2.8.4 or the 2.9 beta


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 am  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 1764
Thanks Partha. will keep the faith!! LOL


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 am  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: May 09, 2012
Posts: 914
Bonjour,

Here is a portable version of Gimp 2.8.4 64bit (Windows) compiled by Partha who should be able to run 32-bit plugins.
Plugins can be added in \Gimp-2.8.4-portable64bit-Partha\Preferences\plug-ins
For testing I added CamoTruck-Net which is compiled in 32 bits.


http://aljacom.com/~gmic/Gimp-2.8.4-por ... Partha.zip
153 744 287 bytes

(version Gimp-2.8.4-portable64bit.zip is deleted and replaced with the new version)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:02 am  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
Thanks Sylvie! I really appreciate it.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 1764
hi partha, I cant get 2.8.4 to pick up any of my extras like brushes, fonts, scripts, patterns, plug ins. I have tried removing and reinstalling and putting them in the correct place which is different to the previous versions of 2.8....got any ideas where I might be able to rectify this please...I dont have this problem with 2.9.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
akky wrote:
hi partha, I cant get 2.8.4 to pick up any of my extras like brushes, fonts, scripts, patterns, plug ins. I have tried removing and reinstalling and putting them in the correct place which is different to the previous versions of 2.8....got any ideas where I might be able to rectify this please...I dont have this problem with 2.9.

Hi Pauline,

2-ton had this issue as well. Did you put all your brushes etc. in the following location - Your Home/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8/brushes etc.?

Let me know if that is not working.

Thanks,
Partha


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 am  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
Yeah, I did have that issue. What I did was copy them from where they were to the new mcgimp. the old mcgimp was in a slightly different path than this new one, so that must be why the new one didn't pick them up. I'm just guessing, lol. But it was pretty easy to copy/paste the files in groups.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 am  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: May 09, 2012
Posts: 914
Bonjour,

Information a little off topic...
Here Gimp version 2.9.1 Windows compiled by Partha.
This version can open plugins compiled in 32 bits.
Plug-in CamoTruckNet compiled in 32 bits is added.
G'MIC 1.5.5.0_beta compiled in 64-bit is also added.
This version replaces "Gimp-2.9-portable64bit.zip"

http://aljacom.com/~gmic/Gimp-2.9.1-por ... Partha.zip
111 067 868 bytes.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 am  (#29) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8474
Location: On the other side of your screen
looks like my "extra's" went over to this version. I am afraid if I delete the other version though it will delete them. Am I worrying for nothing? I put things in the applicable folders in the previous version I was using

Someone may have answer for me here too. I was able to put full gradient across a page by just stroking "after selecting the gradient" of course. Now I am not able, or have forgotten what I need to do.

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:34 am  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 1764
partha wrote:
akky wrote:
hi partha, I cant get 2.8.4 to pick up any of my extras like brushes, fonts, scripts, patterns, plug ins. I have tried removing and reinstalling and putting them in the correct place which is different to the previous versions of 2.8....got any ideas where I might be able to rectify this please...I dont have this problem with 2.9.

Hi Pauline,

2-ton had this issue as well. Did you put all your brushes etc. in the following location - Your Home/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8/brushes etc.?

Let me know if that is not working.

Thanks,
Partha

Well, I am just about done with trying everything that I can think of with 2.8.4. Sorry partha but I cant get past first base with this. I have even deleted all GIMP files from my computer and emptied the trash to make sure it was all gone..used app zapper which gets rid of even any hidden files which may be lurking. Still cannot get it to load my extra brushes, or gradients, or an added scripts. Just the basic standard things which come with it....I can get them to show up and work however in the GOAT version and although I am happy to continue with this, I dont have the added advantage of GMIC...but will work round that for now.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:11 am  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
sallyanne wrote:
looks like my "extra's" went over to this version. I am afraid if I delete the other version though it will delete them. Am I worrying for nothing? I put things in the applicable folders in the previous version I was using

If I understand correctly, you are worried that if you delete the other version, it's going to nuke your extras. Don't worry about that. McGimp does not do anything to your personal extras. If you wish to be extra cautious, please keep a copy of your stuff somewhere safe and just copy them over to ever new version.

You should be doing that anyway as a backup. :)
Quote:
Someone may have answer for me here too. I was able to put full gradient across a page by just stroking "after selecting the gradient" of course. Now I am not able, or have forgotten what I need to do.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 am  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
akky wrote:
...
Well, I am just about done with trying everything that I can think of with 2.8.4. Sorry partha but I cant get past first base with this. I have even deleted all GIMP files from my computer and emptied the trash to make sure it was all gone..used app zapper which gets rid of even any hidden files which may be lurking. Still cannot get it to load my extra brushes, or gradients, or an added scripts. Just the basic standard things which come with it....I can get them to show up and work however in the GOAT version and although I am happy to continue with this, I dont have the added advantage of GMIC...but will work round that for now.

So, you copied all your stuff to [Your Home Folder]/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8 and it is not showing up? Please send/ add a screenshot of where you put your stuff.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 am  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 1764
Have sent an email partha


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 am  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 1764
I just noticed that Gtk2 is sitting randomly somewhere it ought not to be and wonder if that has something to do with it.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:27 am  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
akky wrote:
Have sent an email partha

I replied to it. See also the post above to 2-ton and to you. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:55 am  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
this is what I did to get the new mcgimp to load up all my goodies...
I went to the folder that had all my added stuff, for example, my added brushes... users/myname/library/gimp/2.8/brushes. I copied all my added brushes in that folder and pasted them in...
users/myname/library/application support/gimp/2.8/brushes

You can probably also just go into gimp preferences and add the new paths to the folders. Either way, it just takes a bit of tweaking to get to all your goodies. I am not sure why there are different paths, but I would assume that is so you can have different versions of gimp on the computer at the same time and they won't fight with each other???


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am  (#37) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
2-ton wrote:
this is what I did to get the new mcgimp to load up all my goodies...
I went to the folder that had all my added stuff, for example, my added brushes... users/myname/library/gimp/2.8/brushes. I copied all my added brushes in that folder and pasted them in...
users/myname/library/application support/gimp/2.8/brushes

That should be /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8. On the Mac, upper case folders are different from lower case folders
Quote:
You can probably also just go into gimp preferences and add the new paths to the folders. Either way, it just takes a bit of tweaking to get to all your goodies. I am not sure why there are different paths, but I would assume that is so you can have different versions of gimp on the computer at the same time and they won't fight with each other???

Correct. 2.8 series will be in in its own section as will 2.9.


Last edited by partha on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 pm  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
heh, yes I was lazy with capital letters here and I did not even realize that on the mac it would make a difference!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:37 pm  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 29, 2012
Posts: 110
Thank you for making this build available on win32.

I have 2.6.10 , your 2.8.2 and your 2.8.4 installed (great thanks to you for making so you can have multiple install, always annoyed me how the "official" builds removed your previous installs) .

I tested with painting a bit with the Brush tool on a 512x512 transparent new image.

- 2.6.10 is still as butter smooth and fast as lightning when painting

- 2.8.2 (from your website) performance is very good too.

- 2.8.4 (from your website) is really sluggish, not only the cursor lag behind your mouse moves, but much worse : so do the actual brush stroke, it's simply horrible.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8.4 - Mac and Windows
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 29, 2012
Posts: 110
I investigated a bit more.

I decided to give a try to the "semi official" (semi as i think i have read the GIMP devs never release a window version themselves) 2.8.4 release from there :
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

As expected it removed my trusty 2.6.10 (but fortunately i backed up everything before so i can reinstall without a problem) while installing.

Then i launched that 2.8.4 and tested with the same condition painting.
And ... it's as smooth as your win32 build of 2.8.2 was.

I re-installed your build of 2.8.4 to see if by some oddity having installed the semi official 2.8.4 would have changed something, but no.
Your win32 build of 2.8.4 is still very sluggish when painting in the same condition as i tested.

Having absolutely no coding/compilling knowledge, i have no idea why it is happening, what is that different between your build and the semi official one that is responsible of this very noticable performance drop (that didn't happened on your win32 build of 2.8.2).


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group