It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:52 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 am  (#41) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2616
When Carmelo first made the the appimage it did use ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/ as its Gimp profile. To avoid conflicts it was changed to /.config/GIMP-Appimage/2.10/ It is possible to change it back, look in the Apprun file. (edit: or maybe not easily)

FWIW edit Apprun to
init_environment
export GIMP2_DIRECTORY="$HOME/.config/GIMP/2.10/"
export APPDIRS=$AILIBDIR:$AILIBDIR/gimp/2.0/plug-ins:$HOME/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins:$APPDIRS
echo "APPDIRS: $APPDIRS"


If you have a 'regular' installation + an appimage, useful to keep separate. Resynthesizer for example, I keep a regular resynthesizer files in Gimp/2.10 and the branch color match + python resynthesizer-gui.py in Gimp-Appimage/2.10 but they share a common folder containing plugins -heal-selection.py...etc.

Quote:
Possibly because you can't have a file and a folder with the same name in unix/linux

That is share the same path, which they don't. for example the photocopy plugin
path to the folder is /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/photocopy/
but the path to the file is /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/photocopy/photocopy

...and secrets of the museum ;)

Attachment:
plugins.jpg
plugins.jpg [ 88.31 KiB | Viewed 14200 times ]


My Gimp210 folder in home, (more convenient than the hidden~/.config) with a sub-folder plugin containing lots of junk. Frequently used are executable, occasional used plugins I make executable before starting Gimp up.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:55 am  (#42) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1477
I like appimages but there is a darkside to them
You download one, make it executable and somebody is charging you to unlock your linux computer.
It never happens to us linux users right?


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 am  (#43) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2616
This: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wh ... -on-linux/

Interesting article. The author uses Nextcloud as the example. Cloud computing and IMHO dangerous anyway, whatever you use to access it.

The comment towards the end: On the rare occasion I'm willing to use an AppImage, I will only do so when I absolutely trust the developer.

Which is true about all installations.

I am setting up a kubutu 20.04 laptop. I have a choice. Use the sandboxed flatpak or snap versions and do without Xsane support or trust either Carmelo or Panda Jim. I do not have a problem with either but at the moment stick with an unpacked appimage running from a storage partition and can get printing / scanning with a wireless printer working.

Is this any different from installing a Windows Gimp portable? Do you trust Partha or the samj's ;)

I used to think the Gimp snap version was a bit crippled but it could eventually be a better bet than the flatpak, with the access problem to remote files seemingly fixed. It is worth considereing.

Lots of appimages available: https://appimage.github.io/apps/ and yes, some I would never use.

Have a nice day. Bloody freezing here, considering the time of year.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 am  (#44) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1477
Quote:
Bloody freezing here, considering the time of year.

I just read one third of the French wine crop was destroyed by unseasonable frosts.

I was metal detecting a beach yesterday and was hit by rain and a gale. I couldn't hear my detector and had to give up. Winter is on it's way here but we never get snow at this elevation.

I was reading a lot of appimages are made with Arch Linux. I may try it out.

MareroQ has dropped off this site. I hope he's OK. I think he had scripts that could update plugins.

He hasn't contributed here lately.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:52 am  (#45) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2616
Quote:
I was reading a lot of appimages are made with Arch Linux. I may try it out


A bit cutting edge for me. I believe Carmelo uses Manjaro (based on Arch) with some older libraries for a more universal appimage. Too clever for me. Let us know how it goes.

I can get a Gimp 2.8 running but not as 100% appimage. Comes from 'buntu 18.04 packages. Packed to a Rockridge .appimage which unpacks nicely to .tmp but none of the resource folders register - no brushes / plug-ins etc. Do not know why, tried all sorts. :hoh
I can set it up as an unpacked appimage and add the correct paths manually. Here we are old and new, both running from a storage partition. Using kubuntu 20.04 machine

Attachment:
old-n-new.jpg
old-n-new.jpg [ 112.76 KiB | Viewed 14082 times ]


Quote:
MareroQ has dropped off this site. I hope he's OK


I feel the same, hope he is ok.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:56 pm  (#46) 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 18, 2021
Posts: 1
Hi, new user here. I'm just about to update to the new version myself. It does seem pretty intimidating, given the whole plugins brouhaha.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:13 pm  (#47) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1477
Hi MonaSL welcome to Gimp Chat. When people say they get intimidated by something in open source my advice is get more than one system. Our consumer society has produced an abundance of tech. With appimages you can have as many of them as you like on one system. If an old plugin fails changing a few lines of code is often all it takes and some people find it a challenge.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 pm  (#48) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 01, 2021
Posts: 1
Oh no! Photoshop finally infiltrated Gimp, broke all the plugins and most tutorials are now useless "Correll Draw, Gimp what?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Gimp Ver 2.10.24
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:13 pm  (#49) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
jamiesizzle wrote:
Oh no! Photoshop finally infiltrated Gimp, broke all the plugins and most tutorials are now useless "Correll Draw, Gimp what?"


Not true. Progress marches on, sometimes old tech doesn't always mesh with new tech. Make adjustments or do without, your choice.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group