It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 6:37 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?][Solved]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:50 am  (#1) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



I would like to stop the gimp from loading fonts from windows permanently so that I could Load them from my 'addon-manager' when I want them, and I don't want to delete the windows fonts folder as it's no doubtfully used by other programs :roll:

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Last edited by Graechan on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:26 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
I'm still using 2.6, but I'm pretty sure this'll work on 2.8 as well. First, find your fonts.conf file in the Gimp install folder. For me, its in ~\GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts. Open it in Notepad, and look for <dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>. It's only about 20 lines from the top. Delete that line, and no more loading Windows fonts.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:38 am  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
Well What do you know I aint got any fonts, now to put some in

Thank you nzdawghaus :yes

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?][Solved]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:43 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 10, 2013
Posts: 1442
Location: Finland
I´ve gone even further. "2manyfonts" is able to move almost all fonts from windows font folder.
I have system fonts and some microsoft fonts installed in there.
Using NexusFont to load custom, themed font folders into applications.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?][Solved]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 am  (#5) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
I like AMP Font Viewer as you can temporarily install any fonts. :)
You use this option and leave AMP open. Open a program use the font. Close AMP and the font is un installed.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?][Solved]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:01 am  (#6) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
Rod AMP font viewer only installed the font to windows fonts folder and that would mean I would have to clear the cache and restart gimp for the font to take effect

Or am I not doing something right in the initial setup

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?][Solved]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:58 am  (#7) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Graechan wrote:
Rod AMP font viewer only installed the font to windows fonts folder and that would mean I would have to clear the cache and restart gimp for the font to take effect

Or am I not doing something right in the initial setup


Yes i have to temp install the font then start GIMP. Sort of defeats the purpose if you are trying to take the start load off GIMP.
I am not sure if you can change the temp font folder to another directory or not.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Fonts [how do I stop windows fonts loading?][Solved]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:19 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
I did this, and it worked perfectly. Switched to my "new" computer, and it did not work. Not sure what the dealio is.

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group