It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:29 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:17 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 04, 2014
Posts: 2
GIMP Version: 2.8.6
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Mint 16
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



I'm hoping I'm missing something simple here, but after upgrading from 2.6 to 2.8 this is driving me nuts.

I am having issues with the "Confirm Text Editing" dialog box when I believe it shouldn't be. I want to add a new text layer to my image, not edit an existing one. I make sure I have a non-text layer selected, but as soon as I click on the image to create the new layer with the text tool, this dialog pops up and it automatically selects a text layer.

How do I stop it from doing this (changing layers on me)? I didn't have this problem in 2.6 (yes, I could get this dialog, but only when I had a text layer selected at the time I tried to click with the text tool. My solution was to always select a non-text layer first).

Thank you!

Jeremy


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:25 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Start your new text box off screen a little first, and it will take care of the problem. That drove me nuts too.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:30 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
What do you mean off screen a little Warrior, did you mean part of the text box outside the layer?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:36 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
JeremyD wrote:
I am having issues with the "Confirm Text Editing" dialog box when I believe it shouldn't be. I want to add a new text layer to my image, not edit an existing one...
If you want to add separate text remove focus by briefly selecting a different toolbox icon first.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:52 pm  (#5) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 04, 2014
Posts: 2
Odinbc wrote:
If you want to add separate text remove focus by briefly selecting a different toolbox icon first.


Pretty sure I tried that. I've even closed Gimp entirely and reloaded the .xcf file. It seems to gravitate toward layers I started with the text tool but have since edited with other tools (I often create a shadow by copying the text layer and blurring it).


Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
what Warrior means is that when you have the text tool selected, you can click on the workspace outside of the layer or picture boundary, do your text, then you can move it to where you want it. Sometimes it does grab a previous text layer but I just assumed that was because I had clicked somewhere within that previous text layer's boundaries.


Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
2-ton wrote:
what Warrior means is that when you have the text tool selected, you can click on the workspace outside of the layer or picture boundary, do your text, then you can move it to where you want it. Sometimes it does grab a previous text layer but I just assumed that was because I had clicked somewhere within that previous text layer's boundaries.

Yes, this.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: text tool changing my selected layer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:42 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 590
I create a white layer on top. Then use the text tool. You can make the white layer invisible.

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group