It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 12:52 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:11 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 26, 2014
Posts: 28
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



This is a question that's been on my mind lately, but even with research about what PPI (Pixels Per Inch.) is, I'm not sure how it's relevant to editing in GIMP. I'm currently working on a canvas at 300 ppi that isn't much bigger in memory than one at 72 ppi.

It's obviously useful for printing, (So it knows how many pixels are to be printed in each inch of paper.) but doesn't seem to make a difference in what you're editing on the screen itself, visually, from what I can tell. Is the PPI setting in templates, so GIMP has a default value for the printer to go on, or does it actually need more memory at a higher PPI setting?

Might seem like a beginner question to some of you, but I feel like I could use clarification from someone more familiar with these things than I am.

_________________
Image

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." - Buddha


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:35 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
Have a look at, Image | Image Properties.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:17 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
The resolution setting (as appears in "Image->Print Size") is just a scaling factor and has no effect upon how many pixels are in the image or on the memory used by the image. The resolution setting, in conjunction with the Units setting, is used for determining markings on the rulers, for values displayed in status messages, and for inputting size parameters.


Attachments:
SS-units.jpg
SS-units.jpg [ 154.35 KiB | Viewed 3904 times ]

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:38 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 26, 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks, saulgoode! That's the simplest description I've heard for PPI. A scaling factor for size references makes sense. It's good to know that it doesn't affect the actual canvas itself in any way.

I think I'll be converting my 72 ppi templates in GIMP and Krita to 300 ppi confidently now, since that might be more favorable for printing than 72 ppi.

_________________
Image

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." - Buddha


Top
 Post subject: Re: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:00 am  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Yes but keep in mind that for the same physical print size you need more pixels at 300PPI than at 72PPI

A 720x720pixels image prints as 10"x10" at 72PPI, but only 2.4"x2.4" at 300PPI. Because there is the ironclad elations ship between pixels, definition, and print size:

print size=size in pixels / print definition

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:02 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
MrGlaceon wrote:
This is a question that's been on my mind lately, but even with research about what PPI (Pixels Per Inch.) is, I'm not sure how it's relevant to editing in GIMP. I'm currently working on a canvas at 300 ppi that isn't much bigger in memory than one at 72 ppi...


Looking at your previous posts and all the replies, maybe back to the beginning.


Image

Two identical images, pixel size which is all Gimp uses both 603x521 pixels. One is set to 100dpi and the other to 200 dpi.

On a default Gimp set-up both will display exactly the same. They are exactly the same, although saved in different formats (hence different file size). Both have the same size in memory, again same RGBA + number of pixels, same MB.

However, If you turn off View -> Dot for Dot you see the relative size for printing.

The 200 dpi is twice the height and width of the 100 dpi. Again both the same size in pixels, both the same size in memory changing the dpi does not change the effective size of the image.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Does PPI Make A Difference In Memory Usage?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:21 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 26, 2014
Posts: 28
That's what I've been needing to confirm. I ran out of memory and crashed Ubuntu once while trying to use a 300ppi canvas at 5000x3000, but that was with GIMP 2.8.2, and I'm not having the same problem occur here with 2.8.10. It could have been a memory leak, looking back on that now.

ofnuts wrote:
Yes but keep in mind that for the same physical print size you need more pixels at 300PPI than at 72PPI

A 720x720pixels image prints as 10"x10" at 72PPI, but only 2.4"x2.4" at 300PPI. Because there is the ironclad elations ship between pixels, definition, and print size:

print size=size in pixels / print definition


I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I should try to organize variants of PPI sizes, based on what sizes I want on the canvas, and a print.

This definitely puts PPI to scale for me. If I need a print to be more detailed, and smaller, I go higher. If I need it to be larger, and don't have to worry about details as much, I should go lower.

Thanks for making sense of this, everyone! I can't believe I've been using GIMP for art, and some printing, for over two years without knowing what PPI actually is. :oops:

_________________
Image

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." - Buddha


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group