It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:17 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Crop, Copy Visible In the selected region
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:07 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jul 03, 2015
Posts: 2
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
I am able to hi-lite a selected area with the knife selection tool and / or with the rectangle. The selected area is brighter than the surrounding area. However, I can't copy just the selected area.

List any ERROR messages you received:
When I select edit and copy visible to a new blank photo, the entire original photo copies, not just the selected area. I am sure I did this successfully before! Help!




Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Crop, Copy Visible In the selected region
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14222
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Just use, Edit>Copy.
If you use Edit>Copy Visible, you'll get a copy of everything that is visible.

Note: When using Edit>Copy, this will copy any active selection. Edit>Copy Visible, can't be apply to selections.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Crop, Copy Visible In the selected region
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:57 am  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
swamimarti wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
I am able to hi-lite a selected area with the knife selection tool and / or with the rectangle. The selected area is brighter than the surrounding area. However, I can't copy just the selected area.

List any ERROR messages you received:
When I select edit and copy visible to a new blank photo, the entire original photo copies, not just the selected area. I am sure I did this successfully before! Help!




If the selected area is brighter than the rest , then you are using the wrong tool (Crop tool: :crop ). The rectangle selection is another tool ( :rectsel ) and it just shows a border to mark the selection boundary. And don't forget to confirm the selection ([enter] or click near center).

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group