It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:28 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:44 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7
GIMP Experience: Experienced User



Is it just me or is this a noted bug? I'll be working on something, go to another program to work on stuff look at youtube for a minute go back and it's not responding...then after a few minutes it gets over itself and starts to work again.

My memory/cpu/ram thing isn't overloaded I have almost 3gb free so it's not the computer...why does it do dis to meh?? D:

I only have 6 layers atm and it's freaking out so it's not that it's doing too much either.

Help meh plx!!!

Thanks!


~ God Bless~

~ Moko

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14222
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Some computer/cpu's can't handle much multitasking.

It could also have something to do with the virtual memory.
If you use all of the RAM available to your system, it will utilize virtual memory, also known as a swap file.
To provide a temporary expansion.
It does this by using part of the hard-drive memory to effectively expand your RAM.
This allows your system to handle more programs than previously available, but the hard-drive memory is much slower than RAM, so performance can suffer.
During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.
You can sometimes give your system a boost by increasing the size of the paging file.
Windows restricts paging file size to three times the size of your installed RAM to ensure system stability.

This is only one such scenario or possible solution.

Here are some tips to help you optimize Windows 7 for faster performance.

1.Try the Performance troubleshooter.
2.Delete programs you never use.
3.Limit how many programs run at startup.
4.Clean up your hard disk.
5.Run fewer programs at the same time.
6.Turn off visual effects.
7.Restart regularly.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:04 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Wallace wrote:
Some computer/cpu's can't handle much multitasking.

It could also have something to do with the virtual memory.
If you use all of the RAM available to your system, it will utilize virtual memory, also known as a swap file.
To provide a temporary expansion.
It does this by using part of the hard-drive memory to effectively expand your RAM.
This allows your system to handle more programs than previously available, but the hard-drive memory is much slower than RAM, so performance can suffer.
During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.
You can sometimes give your system a boost by increasing the size of the paging file.
Windows restricts paging file size to three times the size of your installed RAM to ensure system stability.

This is only one such scenario or possible solution.

Here are some tips to help you optimize Windows 7 for faster performance.

1.Try the Performance troubleshooter.
2.Delete programs you never use.
3.Limit how many programs run at startup.
4.Clean up your hard disk.
5.Run fewer programs at the same time.
6.Turn off visual effects.
7.Restart regularly.


Well laptop is a new load, I just installed stuff that I use, I didn't have too many programs opened and visual effects are off. :S

So apparently I'm missing something.......... :hoh :gaah
Image

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:20 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14222
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Mokonafan wrote:

Well laptop is a new load, I just installed stuff that I use, I didn't have too many programs opened and visual effects are off. :S

So apparently I'm missing something.......... :hoh :gaah
[ Image ]


Check for viruses and spyware.

Restart your PC at least once a week,
especially if you use it a lot.
Restarting a PC is a good way to clear out its memory and ensure that any meandering processes and services that started running get shut down.

Restarting closes all the software running on your PC.
Not only the programs you see running on the task-bar,
but also dozens of services that might have been started by various programs and never stopped.
Restarting can fix mysterious performance problems when the exact cause is hard to pinpoint.

The more things you have open and the longer you keep them running,
the greater the chances your PC will bog down and eventually run low on memory.
Being that it's a laptop,
I would guess that you don't keep it running all the time anyway.

Also when is the last time you preformed any kind of "maintenance",
such as defrag or disk cleanup ect.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:19 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: May 12, 2015
Posts: 4693
I have that problem also, Wallace, esp, if using BRL and if the image is more than tiny and when I am using BRL2. It will run for hours to complete an image with many non responding messages,


Top
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:24 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Wallace wrote:
Mokonafan wrote:

Well laptop is a new load, I just installed stuff that I use, I didn't have too many programs opened and visual effects are off. :S

So apparently I'm missing something.......... :hoh :gaah
[ Image ]


Check for viruses and spyware.

Restart your PC at least once a week,
especially if you use it a lot.
Restarting a PC is a good way to clear out its memory and ensure that any meandering processes and services that started running get shut down.

Restarting closes all the software running on your PC.
Not only the programs you see running on the task-bar,
but also dozens of services that might have been started by various programs and never stopped.
Restarting can fix mysterious performance problems when the exact cause is hard to pinpoint.

The more things you have open and the longer you keep them running,
the greater the chances your PC will bog down and eventually run low on memory.
Being that it's a laptop,
I would guess that you don't keep it running all the time anyway.

Also when is the last time you preformed any kind of "maintenance",
such as defrag or disk cleanup ect.


Well I've only had it a week and bought from staples so nothing was on it and I don't normally go to any weird sites so I honestly don't think it's the computer, it's GIMP. No other program does this to me. :S
I don't have a millions programs on, I got used to turning off stuff because my lappy that died was so slow.
I often look in task manager and see all processes or show all processes or whatever it is LoL... to show the stuff that isn't shown at first glance and turn off anything extra that might stay on from programs I have.

I'm pretty sure GIMP just hates me. T.T

:tyspin for the tips tho, good to keep in my pocket. :hi5

@Pat625
:ninja

Just GIMP for you too?? D:

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: GIMP Keeps Not Responding...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:37 pm  (#7) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14222
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Pat625 wrote:
I have that problem also, Wallace, esp, if using BRL and if the image is more than tiny and when I am using BRL2. It will run for hours to complete an image with many non responding messages,

You might want to have a look at this Gimp documentation link below.

How to Set Your Tile Cache

When processing images, Gimp needs a lot of memory.
The more available memory the better.
Gimp utilizes system memory,
trying to work on an image the best it can using available system resources.
When this runs out,
it uses memory from the hard disk.
This is known as "tile cache".

Also check out this Gimp documentation.

1.2.1. Options: Resource Consumption

Make note of "Number of processors to use" referred to in the link above.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group