It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:40 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help please - Gimp won't launch..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:17 am  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Sep 25, 2014
Posts: 2
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 8
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



Hi all, hoping someone can help me here.

I had Gimp on my laptop running on windows 8. When I went to load it this morning clicking the icon just took me to the program files - instead of launching. I can't seem to run the whole program. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but am getting the same problem.

What am I doing wrong??!! I recommended it to someone yesterday and now have to show them how to use it and I can't even run it!

All help appreciated, not very computer savvy so please bear with me...

Thanks

Linso


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Help please - Gimp won't launch..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 am  (#2) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Assuming you are using GIMP-2.8.x 64 bit.
Right click the shortcut icon.
Select shortcuts tab
Make sure that the icon target is pointing to "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help please - Gimp won't launch..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:06 am  (#3) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Sep 25, 2014
Posts: 2
Thank you so much! I don't think it was and am not sure how to change it, but I just copied and pasted the above into the program bar and it ran.

Will have to keep a note of this - unless you can tell me how to change where the icon points to? Thanks again!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help please - Gimp won't launch..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 am  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
linso wrote:
Thank you so much! I don't think it was and am not sure how to change it, but I just copied and pasted the above into the program bar and it ran.

Will have to keep a note of this - unless you can tell me how to change where the icon points to? Thanks again!

You are very welcome.
You can right click the icon in the actual "bin" folder gimp-2.8.exe and select create shortcut.Windows will ask you if you want it on the desktop and if you select to do so the new icon shortcut will be placed there. Delete the old one first. You can do this with any exe file.
If it doesn't ask just move it to the desktop after.
Deleting shortcuts to an EXE file will not harm your program


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group