It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:39 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:11 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Posts: 3
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Ubuntu 14.04
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



Hey guys,

I apologize if there are threads or how-tos on the subject. I'm currently lettering my first comic book through GIMP. I'm pretty good with creating basic oval speech bubbles, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to make other speech bubbles like (thought bubbles, angry bubbles, etc...). Also I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to make sound effects, for example "SCREEEECH" in big bold letters, or on a path.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or have any advice It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
There is a script called text along path for lettering or you can use a brush to free-hand your sound effect words, there are brushes for different speech bubbles if you do not want to make your own. I do not do comics myself, so only can think of basic solutions.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:35 am  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16180
Try this one. :)
http://gimpscripts.com/2012/10/comix-text-bubble/


Top
 Post subject: Re: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:37 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Posts: 146
Here's some good manual tutorials for comics and speech bubbles:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GIMP/Add_Speech_Bubbles_to_a_Comic_Strip

http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/49450-tutorial-comic-making-using-mypaint-gimp-and-inkscape/

Here's a pack of Script-fu's that have some text and thought bubble creation scripts, where you can define the size, ink thickness etc...Once installed, you'll find them under the "Script-fu ---> Create new" menu:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/download-gimp-28-script-fus-pack-more.html


Top
 Post subject: Re: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:54 am  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Typically, you create the text, then Layer>Text>Text to path, and distort the path with the transform tools (here, perspective plus shear), then obtain a selection from the resulting path and bucket-fill it. For more advanced effects, there is SaulGoode's Warp Text" script

Attachment:
HardBraking.jpg
HardBraking.jpg [ 138.8 KiB | Viewed 9708 times ]

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm  (#6) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Posts: 3
Wow thanks for response guys! I will try everything when I get home and let you know how it went. I'm not familiar with scripts on GIMP but I'm assuming there is a how-to somewhere on this site.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Comic Lettering in GIMP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:42 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
There is a Comix Bubble Script located here and a Comix Text Bubble script located here.

Also, here are a few tutorials.

Making Comics with GIMP - Speech Bubbles

Making Comics with GIMP - Panels and Gutters

Making Comics with GIMP - Page Setup

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group