It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2026 10:58 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm  (#51) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Looks really good, Moon. :bigthup

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 pm  (#52) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
I'm trying this out and I understand the bevel and drop shadow part. It's the color and a few look like they have some sort of texture.

Do you create a layer for each color; Example: Red base color then a black stripe on both sides sandwiched by yellow. Then merge down those layers and change the blend mode to overlay? But what if you want to add a subtle texture to it?

I'm really curious about this! Thanks!

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 am  (#53) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
MrBiggz wrote:
I'm trying this out and I understand the bevel and drop shadow part. It's the color and a few look like they have some sort of texture.

Do you create a layer for each color; Example: Red base color then a black stripe on both sides sandwiched by yellow. Then merge down those layers and change the blend mode to overlay? But what if you want to add a subtle texture to it?

I'm really curious about this! Thanks!


:bump Tap tap tap. Hello? Testing, one two three! I know my post hasn't been up long but I take the answers with me to work and in my down time bust out my Gimp portable app and watch my PC at work cringe! Second shift sucks, but, it's better then the alternative!

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:37 pm  (#54) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
You asking me?? Questions are way over my head.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm  (#55) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Moon Puppy wrote:
You asking me?? Questions are way over my head.


Thanks Moon for responding. I'll take anybody! There should be a tut written on this. I'd write it once I figure out how to do it.

So, I'll wait patiently.

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 pm  (#56) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
Oh I know what you're talking about. Yeah I ain't got a clue how he did it. John is our graphics guy, he's been laid up recovering from cancer. He's in Australia and they seem to treat people a little different down under, he hasn't been out of the hospital in months!

He's on a MAC so there's our first challenge. He didn't put his files out on the cloud before going in to the hospital so he hasn't been able to work with the ribbons. you can clearly tell the difference between his and my ribbons. He's doing ok and may be back at it soon. Maybe he'll come around and clue us up to what he does.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:59 am  (#57) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Ok, I gave it a go and this is what I came up with!

Image
Image
Image
Image
My lightening bolts need to be a bit more centered

Do they look as good as the others? Although some colors get drowned/bleached/faded out due to the mode I set the layer to. Is there something I should do so that doesn't happen?

Example: the bio-hazard on the green was a normal green. But in order to get the ribbon to show though I had to set the layer mode to grain merge and then lower the opacity to about 30.

I tried! :paint

:gimp

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:30 am  (#58) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
I think they look good, MrBiggs. You could have the bio hazard graphic (or any image) look like a pin or a patch/embroidery. Maybe give the pin a little depth with some shadowing, beveling or lighting technique. I think that would make the ribbons look more realist, at least in those cases where having a pin or patch makes sense.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:13 am  (#59) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
GnuTux wrote:
I think they look good, MrBiggs. You could have the bio hazard graphic (or any image) look like a pin or a patch/embroidery. Maybe give the pin a little depth with some shadowing, beveling or lighting technique. I think that would make the ribbons look more realist, at least in those cases where having a pin or patch makes sense.


Thx Tux! =)) I took your critique under advisement!

Attachment:
bio-haz ribbon-1.png
bio-haz ribbon-1.png [ 9.75 KiB | Viewed 1954 times ]


I could almost write a tut on this! :roll: I might help Moon Puppy out at the very least!

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:00 pm  (#60) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
to change to color of the biohazard can't you make a new layer, go to the logo layer and select by color that particular item, then go up to the new layer and fill the selection with the color you want and play with opacity and bump map to the original??? I think all of those ribbons look very real, excellent work.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:39 am  (#61) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Image
Nice. Looks more realistic. :bigthup

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am  (#62) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
Wooo! I missed some updates. Nice work Mr. Biggz


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:53 am  (#63) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Moon Puppy wrote:
Wooo! I missed some updates. Nice work Mr. Biggz


Thanks Moon! :yes

Would you like a tut? And you'll be making these things hand over fist! Although they're not as nice as the fellow with the mac. I'd still love to know how he did his when he's feeling better!

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:36 pm  (#64) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
Again, sorry for the delay in checking back in. MrBiggs, would you mind if I made use of your Biohaz ribbon? It will fit perfectly with our Sci-Fi Showdown campaign we're having.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:32 pm  (#65) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Moon Puppy wrote:
Again, sorry for the delay in checking back in. MrBiggs, would you mind if I made use of your Biohaz ribbon? It will fit perfectly with our Sci-Fi Showdown campaign we're having.


Knock yourself out! :bigthup

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:01 pm  (#66) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
Thank you Mr. B!

keeping it simple this time.

Textured, Beveled, drop shadow and

Attachment:
bob_ribbon.png
bob_ribbon.png [ 8.4 KiB | Viewed 1529 times ]

This is for the Battle of Britain campaign.

got a couple more to knock out.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 pm  (#67) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
Attachment:
bob_ribbon2.png
bob_ribbon2.png [ 9.54 KiB | Viewed 1522 times ]


OK, next version. took a german iron cross and added a gold border.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:04 am  (#68) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2011
Posts: 395
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Moon Puppy wrote:
Attachment:
bob_ribbon2.png


OK, next version. took a german iron cross and added a gold border.


This is just an idea. Shrink the iron cross by a few, keep your yellow stroke around it but add a bevel and a subtle drop shadow. That'll make it look less flat.

As you can see the orig biohaz one I did here http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2295&start=50#p37720 and then scroll down a bit and take a look at the improved version. Tux prodded me in the right direction with that one!

How's the fellow that used to make these? I hope is progressing in a positive manner!

_________________
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 pm  (#69) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
John is home now but we haven't heard from him. He said he's scheduled to have surgery again. Thanks for asking and i'll pass on the good wishes.

I'll have to do this again, already taken some ribbing about the roundel being off center. back to the drawing board..


Top
 Post subject: Re: Making military ribbons
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:26 pm  (#70) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 10, 2010
Posts: 59
Hia folks, me again. here's one I'm working on for Hotrods
Attachment:
hotrod.png
hotrod.png [ 7.45 KiB | Viewed 1459 times ]


Maybe make the black stripes broader.

But I'm looking for an orange that will show up better under the texture layer, when I apply the texture it washes out the orange. any suggestions? Here's the xcf file also.

Attachment:
hotrod.xcf [19.03 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times
Going to save this file as a template so allI have to do is change the background.

can you point me in the right direction for working with metallics?


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group