It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:19 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Adjusting CMYK ink coverage percentages
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 21, 2014
Posts: 3
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



Although I have not mastered Gimp by any stretch of the imagination, I consider that I am at an intermediate level, in that I can get things to look like I want when I am creating my digital artwork for book covers. However, I have encountered a problem that I can't seem to resolve on my own.

I recently submitted a pdf book template to a popular POD publisher using Gimp artwork. The cover was acceptable with the exception that the CMYK ink percentages were too high. Their equipment/software requirements dictate that the combined percentages do not exceed 240% and recommend the Cyan be at 40%, the Magenta at 40% the Yellow at 100% and the blacK at 60%. I have not been able to determine how to adjust these levels in Gimp. I think I may need a plugin to manipulate the CMYK percentages, but I would like to find out if anyone on the forum have encountered this issue and resolved it to prevent my reinventing the wheel with this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can be with this issue.

IM Charon


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Adjusting CMYK ink coverage percentages
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:45 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
A few quick thought.
The key is to have setup a color management system in Gimp before you begin, example a ICC profile oe littlecms. Your on a Mac so use Adobe ICC, it's probably on your computer already.
A plug-in for export to TIFF, Separate+.
FYI, Separate+ RGB -> CMYK conversion uses littlecms.
Setup Separate+: Image | Separate | Separate (set source & destination profile), check Preserve Pure Black, for clarity try Make CMYK Pseudo-Composite.
Separate+ original author notes.
Info for Linux but worth the read, CMYK support in The GIMP.

Check the link below on Gimp Decompose...
Decomposing an image to CMYK in Gimp.
FYI, Gimp Decompose doesn't use color management profiles.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Adjusting CMYK ink coverage percentages
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:28 pm  (#3) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: May 21, 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks, Odinbc. From checking on various Gimp sites Seperate + was what looked like I needed before I came to the forum. Glad someone here could confirm it for me. I'll give it a try and let you know if that resolves the issue.

IM


Top
 Post subject: Re: Adjusting CMYK ink coverage percentages
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:42 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 04, 2011
Posts: 2615
I have not come across that one before, but then commercial printers are an awkward tribe.

AFAIK Partha version of Gimp for OSX includes separate+

What you would do with it then, I do not know. Tweak the layer masks?

You can decompose to the CMY masks Colors -> Components -> Decompose -> CMY
and there is even an old Saul Goode script to make a psudo image. (a bit old so I will attach it for reference)

Comparison of the two.
Image

I wonder how the OP got the PDF out in the first place, it would be RGB if it came from Gimp.


Attachments:
sg-decompose.scm [6.18 KiB]
Downloaded 106 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: Adjusting CMYK ink coverage percentages
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:42 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 863
Odinbc wrote:
Check the link below on Gimp
Decomposing an image to CMYK in Gimp.

Very good this link!
Instructive and easy to understand!
Thx Odin :tyspin

_________________
bbbbbbbbbbbImage
bbbbbbbbbbb Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group