It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:36 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:30 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level



I have some files in my user/gimp/plugins folder that I don't know if I need.
There are some are exe files for plugins there, so i know they're okay. The ones I am not sure about are:
jpeg62.dll
libgsl.dll
libgslblas.dll
libjpeg-7.dll
libpng3.dll
libpng15-15.dll
libpthread-2,dll
libtiff-3.dll
pthreadGC2.dll
us.stackdump

Could some of these be old, obsolete G'mic files? Anyone have any idea what these are for?

*UPDATE: I have moved them to a desktop folder and have been able to start gimp and g'mic. I did not get any error popups when gimp was loading. I guess I will keep them just in case something requests them in the future. I did try putting the g'mic files in a subfolder to neaten things up, but then it wasn't showing up in my gimp. Too bad there isn't a way to use a subfolder to keep things neat.

_________________
Image


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:35 am  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
The DLLs may be used by some of your EXEs (even if some could possibly be duplicates of others coming with Gimp) . The stackdump file can be erased.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:16 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
Thanks, ofnuts!

I was curious as to how the files are named, and wondering if 2 files with the same name could accidentally have different purposes- another reason to have them designed to be in subfolders in the plugins folder.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
A DLL is a "dynamic link library", in other words a collection of functions that an EXE can use. When building the EXE you often have the choice between adding a copy of the function in the EXE or getting in from the DLL. The first choice make an autonomous .EXE but it can be quite big (DLLs are typically shared across several EXEs) and in case of updates in the libraries you would have to redeliver the whole EXE.

Those that are called lib-something have a Unix/Linux origin.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:33 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
Thank you. I understood part of that, lol.

I will try to not worry about such things now that I know that those plugin creators have control of the situation. :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:35 pm  (#6) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
Grits as a rule never delete or add files to your Gimp to add files use the folders inside User/username/ .gimp-2.8

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: files in my Gimp/plugins user folder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:29 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 23, 2011
Posts: 71
Graechan, these files are in my user files in the plugins folder. They are not in my program files. :)

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group