GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level
Earlier this week, I tried to start Gimp for the first time in a few months. I clicked on the icon, the cursor hour glass came up, and then ... nothing. A few repetitions of that, combined with rebooting the machine, yielded the same results.
So I uninstalled Gimp, backed up the .gimp-2.8 directory in my user directory, and deleted any leftovers. After that, I ran a registry cleaner and restarted the computer.
I downloaded and installed the 64-bit build from
Partha's Place and ... same thing. In the Windows Task Manager, after clicking the icon,
gimp-bin.exe comes up briefly, then goes away.
From the command line, after
cd'ing into
c:\, running
"c:\program files\gimp-2.8\gimp-2.8.exe" --verbose --console-messages causes the cursor hour glass to come up, disappear, and then I'm back at
c:\.
Going through Python 3.4, the same thing happens, and
os returns
0, which is good.
There seems to be a Windows Error Report that is generated with each attempt to launch Gimp, but there's nothing that I recognize as being helpful in them.
I've been learning Python programming, and I've installed many things. Searching for "gimp" in
C:\ via Windows Explorer shows several files with "gimp" in the file names (e.g.,
GimpGradientFile.pyc in Anaconda,
GimpGradientFile.pyo in Calibre2, etc.). Is there a potential conflict somewhere, or are there other things that I can do to fix Gimp?
I'm ready to supply any additional info if needed. Thank you for your time!