It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 2:17 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:58 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: windows 8 64 bit
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



I am trying to combine two jpeg images in a New File using the move tool. I try and the images come out of their "frame" but there is nothing in the new file. The cursor for the move tool moves to the new file but no image. I need some help in very simple terms.
Thank you in advance.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:13 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
hechto wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: windows 8 64 bit
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



I am trying to combine two jpeg images in a New File using the move tool. I try and the images come out of their "frame" but there is nothing in the new file. The cursor for the move tool moves to the new file but no image. I need some help in very simple terms.
Thank you in advance.

If your trying to combine two image making them one image. You have to resize your canvas so that both images will fit when you move one image to one side or the other. Making sure that both image have the same canvas size before moving either image.
Image

Image

Image

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Last edited by Wallace on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
I have done this many times with photoshop elements 3. In elements 11 it became completely impossible.
I made the width the same. I added the two pixel heights together and made that the height of the file. When I went to move the images i got NOTHING in the new file.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:15 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
How to you put the two images together? There are two ways:

"Open as layers"

  • Use File>Open to open the first image normally (or open it from yoru file explorer
  • Use File>Opens as layers to add the second image as a new layer

A variant of this technique is:

  • Use File>New to create a blank image
  • Use File>Opens as layers to add the images as a new layers (you can select both images at the same time if they are in the same directory).

or

Drag and drop

  • Open both images in Gimp
  • Create a third blank image
  • Copy layers between images by dragging them from the Layers list preview of the source image (which implies that the source image is the active image) to the canvas of the target image. If you are in single-window mode, you may have to drag from the Layers list to the tab of the target image, and wait for Gimp to switch to that image before you drop.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
I have always used the third method. It did not work Nothing appeared in the new file. I have no idea what all that Layers List and most of all three methods are about. I just need to drag the jpeg image. How exactly can I do that?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
hechto wrote:
I have always used the third method. It did not work Nothing appeared in the new file. I have no idea what all that Layers List and most of all three methods are about. I just need to drag the jpeg image. How exactly can I do that?
Are you trying to place two images side-by-side? If so Wallace and ofnuts have your answer already.
They key is to increase the Canvas Size so both images will fit.
In the Layers Dialog, select a layer, on the canvas drag layer.
Repeat above with the second layer.
If necessary Crop the image.
Before you export, Merge Visible, Layers (Image → Merge Visible Layers).

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:25 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
I size the file so the images fit. I dragged the images and nothing appeared. I was trying for one on ntop of the other.
Where and what is Layers Dialog?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
I loked at the layer dialog and found nothing. I stioll gat nothing in the file. The images are gone and I have nothing. Just a great deal.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:48 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
hechto wrote:
I size the file so the images fit. I dragged the images and nothing appeared. I was trying for one on ntop of the other.
Where and what is Layers Dialog?

Essential GIMP Tutorials

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:01 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
Sure, and which tutorial will show me how to combine the images? Loads of images, which one will tell me the one thing I need to know????


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
In the original post you said you were trying to add images using the move tool? I was not aware that you could even do that.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:10 am  (#12) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
hechto wrote:
I looked at the layer dialog and found nothing. I still get nothing in the file. The images are gone and I have nothing. Just a great deal.

Fourth method:

- Open the first image (File>Open or your file explorer)
- Drag an image from your file explorer to the image opened in Gimp. It should add it as a new layer.

Btw a "layer" is a fundamental concept in Gimp, most explanations here are going to be above your head if you have no idea of what it is and how it is used in Gimp. this tutorial may help. The Layers list mentioned above is normally open, but you can get to it with the menu "Windows>Dockable dialogs>Layers" or by using the Ctrl-L keyboard shortcut.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 09, 2014
Posts: 7
So I drag the image, not use the move tool?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
When I am in "Single Window" mode, I cannot drag and drop a layer from the layer dialog of one open image, to another open image. I can only do this when not in "Single Window" mode.

In "Single Window" mode, I can hover over the tab of the target image until it switches, but I cannot drop it onto the canvas or in the layer dialog of the target image. It does nothing. This might be the same thing that is happening to you, hecto.

I normally use "Single Window" mode and I simply "copy and paste" layers from one open image to another. That always works. :hehe

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:01 am  (#15) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
hechto wrote:
So I drag the image, not use the move tool?


Yes... the Move tool is used move objects that are already in the image (layers, paths...), it is not a drag/drop tool.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Using the move tool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Because I didn't see your final reply saying you succeeded in creating the combined image you wanted, I put here a sequence of steps and a folder with the steps images.
I took advantage of the suggestions other gurus gave to you in previous posts.

Assuming you have 2 pictures, same size, 640*400
- Leopard (attachment: leopard.jpg)
- Parquet (attachment: parquet.jpg)

a) start gimp
b) open your two images, one after the other
c) choose (Menu) File->New... and create a New empty image with dimensions 640*800 (attachment: new.jpg)
d) click on Leopard, choose (Menu) Edit->Copy
e) click on New, choose (Menu) Edit->Paste as>new layer (attachment: new-after-1-paste.xcf)
f) click on Parquet, choose (Menu) Edit->Copy
g) click on New, choose (Menu) Edit->Paste>as new layer (attachment: new-after-2-paste.xcf) (you will see that Parquet is temporarily overriding Leopard, but on a different layer)
h) click on the top layer of New (the one having Parquet in it)
i) select the Move tool (tool #12 in the list on the left, having a symbol like a cross)
j) with the Move symbol positioned on the Parquet layer, hold it and move it down
until it reaches the bottom half of the image (attachment: new-after-move-down-top-layer.xcf)
k) choose (Menu) Image->Flatten image (attachment: flatten.jpg

hope you reach your objective

ps: all attachments are in one compressed folder (hechto.7z), you have to unzip and extract them

Attachment:
hechto.7z [184.01 KiB]
Downloaded 96 times

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group