It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 6:39 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 07, 2014
Posts: 6
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



I can't get this tool to work when I want it to. And sometimes it works when I don't want it to.

Example of how it worked when I didn't want it to.

I opened a png file. The file was a very simple one-color graphic. Without selecting any area, the paint bucket tool, changed the color of each shape when I clicked on the shape. This surprised me since I had not selected anything.

So now I open another file. I have not changed anything with my color select.
This file is a jpg file. The file is a simple black and white image. I want to change the white areas to blue. I used the fuzzy select tool and selected a white shape. Then I selected the bucket tool. I selected blue on the change foreground color and clicked OK. (This was the same blue I was using so it showed current and old color both blue). I clicked on my selected white shape and the color changed to black. I clicked un-do and went back to my bucket foreground color select. Current displayed black and old displayed blue. Now I'm thinking what? how? So now, I reselect blue for the current color and click OK. The display then shows that my current and old are both blue. I click on the white shape and again..... It is filled black.

I am using GIMP version 2.8.14


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:52 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Can you post your XCF in the attachments


Attachments:
attachments3.png
attachments3.png [ 14.66 KiB | Viewed 11676 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:12 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 07, 2014
Posts: 6
xcf file attached.

Thank you.


Attachments:
justice.xcf [251.37 KiB]
Downloaded 231 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:30 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Okay, easy peasy. just go to image > mode, then click RGB
If you want your image on a transparent background, go to colors > color to alpha and OK, You can put a white background as your bottom layer if you want.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:15 am  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
GreenChild wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



I can't get this tool to work when I want it to. And sometimes it works when I don't want it to.

Example of how it worked when I didn't want it to.

I opened a png file. The file was a very simple one-color graphic. Without selecting any area, the paint bucket tool, changed the color of each shape when I clicked on the shape. This surprised me since I had not selected anything.

So now I open another file. I have not changed anything with my color select.
This file is a jpg file. The file is a simple black and white image. I want to change the white areas to blue. I used the fuzzy select tool and selected a white shape. Then I selected the bucket tool. I selected blue on the change foreground color and clicked OK. (This was the same blue I was using so it showed current and old color both blue). I clicked on my selected white shape and the color changed to black. I clicked un-do and went back to my bucket foreground color select. Current displayed black and old displayed blue. Now I'm thinking what? how? So now, I reselect blue for the current color and click OK. The display then shows that my current and old are both blue. I click on the white shape and again..... It is filled black.

I am using GIMP version 2.8.14


Your image is 'grayscale' so it can only contain black, white, and all the grays in between. If you want to add color you should change it to an RGB image (Image>Mode>RGB).

If you want to change colors cleanly(*), the proper procedure is to extract the subject from the background, so it its surrounded by transparency, then paint the subject (to replace the backrground color, just insert a new layer filled with that color under it).
  • Image>Mode>RGB
  • Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel (so that the layer can be transparent)
  • Colors>Color to alpha, and remove the white (default). The checkerboard pattern indicates transparency, it is not part of the image
  • Lock the layer's alpha channel (checkboard icon in the "Lock" line at the top of the Layers list)
  • Bucket-fill the layer with the new color (or paint by whatever method), the alpha-lock means that the opacity of the pixels isn't changed (pixels along the edges are partially transparent, and it is important that they retain this partial opacity).
  • If needed add a new layer for the background and bucket-fill it

Attachment:
justice.png
justice.png [ 41.75 KiB | Viewed 11631 times ]


(*) well, as cleanly as the image allows, because the JPG compression introduced faint compression artifacts...

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:50 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 07, 2014
Posts: 6
Thanks for the help.

I'm still challenged.

I got through these steps easy.

Image>Mode>RGB
Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel (so that the layer can be transparent)
Colors>Color to alpha, and remove the white (default). The checkerboard pattern indicates transparency, it is not part of the image
Lock the layer's alpha channel (checkboard icon in the "Lock" line at the top of the Layers list)


I still can't get my bucket fill to work.
I added a new layer and attempted to change the background color. It remains transparent. So I tried using the Rectangular tool as a work around. I pasted my rectangle and then selected the bucket tool. (Foreground and background are currently blue). I clicked on the rectangle. Nothing happened. My history tab displays the bucket fill steps.

I also could not get my selection tools to function. I attempted color select and fuzzy select on the image after I locked the alpha channel. Nothing was selected when I clicked on the image.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:14 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 161
Here are a couple of things that I used to miss when using the bucket fill tool. Hope it helps.


Attachments:
Bucket fill.jpg
Bucket fill.jpg [ 473.45 KiB | Viewed 11609 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:28 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I never use the bucket tool. I select the layer I want filled and I drag and drop the color over to the image, works great and never fails.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 pm  (#9) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
In your Tool Options for the Bucket Fill tool, ensure that you have chosen "Fill whole selection" (not "Fill similar colors").

http://barn.kerosenecow.net/u/saul/m/bucket-fill-all/

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:00 pm  (#10) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
GreenChild wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I'm still challenged.

I got through these steps easy.

Image>Mode>RGB
Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel (so that the layer can be transparent)
Colors>Color to alpha, and remove the white (default). The checkerboard pattern indicates transparency, it is not part of the image
Lock the layer's alpha channel (checkboard icon in the "Lock" line at the top of the Layers list)


I still can't get my bucket fill to work.
I added a new layer and attempted to change the background color. It remains transparent. So I tried using the Rectangular tool as a work around. I pasted my rectangle and then selected the bucket tool. (Foreground and background are currently blue). I clicked on the rectangle. Nothing happened. My history tab displays the bucket fill steps.

I also could not get my selection tools to function. I attempted color select and fuzzy select on the image after I locked the alpha channel. Nothing was selected when I clicked on the image.


If the bucket fill tool doesn't work on a transparent layer:
- you have alpha-locked the layer by mistake
- you have a selection active (Select>None to remove it)
- you are not painting the layer but something else (is the mayer selected in the layers list?)

Note that when you create a layer, one option is to fill it with the foreground or background colors, so you can set one of these before creating the layer and skip the bucket-fill step.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 07, 2014
Posts: 6
Fill whole selection!!!!!!! Yes, yes, yes. Thanks everyone!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:07 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 07, 2014
Posts: 6
Still struggling. I'm trying to fill the transparent shapes in her upper body and head with blue. I can't select the area. I was able to select the areas in her lower body and successfully filled those areas blue. (Yay!) I have tried fuzzy select and select by color. I'm attaching the modified image.

Thanks again.


Attachments:
justiceselectionfrustration.xcf [618.76 KiB]
Downloaded 180 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
Always use the right tool for the task.
I'd use fuzzy/color select tool and the bucket fill just to recolor the shapes (black).

To color the transparent areas within those shapes I'd simply create a transparent layer behind
the shapes layer and use paintbrush tool - nice and clean, and no fuzzy edges - see the attached xcf file.

Image

Attachment:
justice_paint_tool.xcf [642.86 KiB]
Downloaded 164 times


P.S. correct me if I'm wrong but after reading your posts in this thread I get an impression that
you expect GIMP to behave as if it were an application with full vector graphics support (perhaps, Adobe Illustrator
or After Effects). Did you have previous experience with these programs?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bucket Tool Frustration
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:57 am  (#14) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
K1TesseraEna wrote:
To color the transparent areas within those shapes I'd simply create a transparent layer behind the shapes layer and use paintbrush tool - nice and clean, and no fuzzy edges - see the attached xcf file.

Alternatively, one could paint directly on the shapes layer using "Behind" mode in the paintbrush Tool Options.
Attachment:
SS-behind.png
SS-behind.png [ 7.55 KiB | Viewed 5011 times ]

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group