It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:03 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: virus in torrent download
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:57 am  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 12, 2015
Posts: 1
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



While downloading GIMP with utorrent. I got two warning for websites that could not be trusted. I assumed they were necessary for the download. After that executables would not start. Regedit entry's seemed to be correct, so no other option than a clean install.

If there are more people with the same problem, it might be the download.

ps it was the only download in utorrent, no other downloads on this pc. I'm going to download the executable now, and not the torrent.

Just for info


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: virus in torrent download
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 am  (#2) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Soraya1201 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level



While downloading GIMP with utorrent. I got two warning for websites that could not be trusted. I assumed they were necessary for the download. After that executables would not start. Regedit entry's seemed to be correct, so no other option than a clean install.

If there are more people with the same problem, it might be the download.

ps it was the only download in utorrent, no other downloads on this pc. I'm going to download the executable now, and not the torrent.

Just for info


You should always download Gimp from a known reputable source such as; gimp.org, partha.com and sourceforge.net.
I'm sure there may be other trusted/reputable sources for Gimp downloads that you could use. The sources I've mentioned have worked well for myself as well as for many other and are, as I stated... known reputable sources.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: virus in torrent download
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:14 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Downloading from the torrent is just as fine. The BitTorrent protocol has built-in protections against tampering. And the file you get from the torrent is identical to the one you download with a browser (I just checked....).

May your problem is utorrent. Isn't it the one that was found to be using your PC to mine BitCoins?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: virus in torrent download
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
:ditto

Soraya1201: uTorrent Quietly Installs Cryptocurrency Miner, Users Complain

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group