It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:45 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: filter to suppress ... small areas SOLVED THANKS to DAVID
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:59 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level



one question:

- is it possible (either in Gimp or in G'MIC) to have a filter which suppresses the areas too small?

I'm referring to a situation where:
- the original image is "quantized", to have only x(8,12,16,...) colours
- each of the resulting colours has very likely many areas, some of which are very small
- I like to process each colour areas, but avoiding to consider the smallest ones
- these smallest areas could be "suppressed" for instance by taking one of the adiacent colours, no matter which one

as far as I searched, I didn't find either a filter or a technique to do that

thanks

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Last edited by dinasset on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: filter to suppress from a quantized image small areas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 am  (#2) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Dec 27, 2014
Posts: 508
Filters>Artistic>Cartoonizer (spot removal)
If your image is already indexed, convert to RGB first (eg. using Image>Mode>RGB)


Top
 Post subject: Re: filter to suppress from a quantized image small areas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:44 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
jon,
already tried, it doesn't work even if setting the spot size quite big
it seems that it really removes only spots, and this is performed before having cartoonized the image

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: filter to suppress from a quantized image small areas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:51 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
an example
on a flower image
six colors, spots to remove 200, iterations 40 !

Attachment:
DSCF0731-cartoonized-spot200.png
DSCF0731-cartoonized-spot200.png [ 54.1 KiB | Viewed 2320 times ]


as you see, small areas are still there...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: filter to suppress from a quantized image small areas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:54 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 03, 2011
Posts: 1656
G'MIC / Repair / Inpaint [holes] should work for this.


Top
 Post subject: Re: filter to suppress from a quantized image small areas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:00 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Tried! EXCELLENT, David, it works as expected by me.
Thanks a lot, indeed!

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: filter to suppress ... small areas SOLVED THANKS to DAVID
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:20 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 03, 2011
Posts: 1656
Good news dinasset, I'm glad this helps :)


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group