It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:49 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help!! Gimp not working...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jul 10, 2015
Posts: 3
Help!! My Gimp Image Editor is not working -- -- I can open Gimp and open an .xcf image, but that's it. I can't change anything (colors, shapes, text, anything). So, then I give up and close the image, but then I get a message box asking if I want to save the changes, of which there aren't any; or at least, any I can see. What is wrong with my Gimp? I used it just 3 or 4 days before it went wrong and it was fine then. Can someone help? But please, be very, very, very, explanatory about what I should do to correct this, as I am not great with computers, etc, but I don't want to have to take it back to the store where I bought it, spending more time and money so they can fix it.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Help!! Gimp not working...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:56 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Posts: 143
Hi again, and welcome to GIMP Chat. Please give more details -- GIMP version (Help menu, "about"), and as much as you can about your operating system (for instance I'm running Linux Mint 17.2 64-bit, Mate). Every little detail helps -- trust me, I do a lot of troubleshooting, and my favorite line is, "Next time it happens, write down exactly what it said."

*Glances up* Ah, yes, this should be in GIMP Help, but perhaps some kindly Mod will move the thread.

Anyway, don't panic. Lots of helpful, friendly GIMPers here. I have to get back to the Paisley thread for a bit....

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help!! Gimp not working...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:24 am  (#3) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14217
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Matera is correct, the more information you provide, the better we'll be able to assist you with any issue.

There's many things which could be the cause of this. One issue has to do with the Image Mode the you image is set to. Some image modes restrict what can be done to the image.
Check to make sure the image mode is set to RGB and not something else. You can do this by navigating to Image>Mode and check that RGB is the selected mode for that image.
Let us know if this does anything.

Image

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help!! Gimp not working...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:08 am  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
The checklist: http://gimpforums.com/thread-when-sudde ... rk-anymore

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help!! Gimp not working...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:41 am  (#5) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jul 10, 2015
Posts: 3
Matera and Wallace,

Thanks guys. I know there is lots of help here, but with me and computers panicking is normal, but I'll try to keep it down. Have just double-checked everything (I think -- let me know if I have left something out): My system is LinuxMint 17.2, 64-bit, Rebecca, and GIMP 2.8.10 (I was told they were the latest versions when I had them installed about a couple months ago). Have checked the image mode, and it is (and was at the time I started the work) set to RGB.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group